WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2020, 01:14 PM
Lord of the Arts
Ohio

Hails from United States
Head Study 010320

Here is another one. I have horrible lighting for my easel and palette, but I am doing with what I have. However, I didn't notice, until now, that I didn't get paint thick enough on the whole canvas. Continuing to learn...

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2020, 07:36 PM
Peoria, Illinois

Hails from United States
Re: Head Study 010320

It's good you're painting Ginny! It is important to put enough paint on the canvas- sometimes that comes from small dabs on the canvas. None is wasted if you gather it occasionally and mix a nice gray from it.

www.KenTiessenArt.com
Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2020, 06:09 PM
Lord of the Arts
Ohio

Hails from United States

Thanks, Ken. Today, I gathered up the paint left on my palette after using the paint from the above painting on the painting that I am working on, today. It came out a nice grayish purple. LOL! A good shadow color...
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2020, 08:46 AM
Peoria, Illinois

Hails from United States

It can be used in many places to lower the intensity of many of your mixes- grays are a fine thing.

www.KenTiessenArt.com
Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-11-2020, 01:01 PM
Immortalized
Jacksonville, FL

Hails from United States

Hi Ginny,

I would start by mixing up a true gray scale using only white and black. The main reason is to understand where you lightest light and your darkest dark falls on the value scale. A full range value scale is about ten or eleven steps including pure white and pure black on either end. In most instances the lightest light will not be pure white, and the darkest dark will not be pure black.

Try using just enough thinner to get the paint to move easily but not become watery and runny. Shoot for a consistency that covers the canvas easily with a stroke but doesn't let canvas show through. Paint the lighter shades thicker and more opaque.

Try and mix the grays that are transitions between a dark and light form instead of blending the dark and light together by smudging the paint. This will keep you from over blending. When painting in grays probably not as important, but when you paint in color, over blending can dull the colors.

I hope you find this useful.

Randy
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2020, 02:06 PM
Lord of the Arts
Ohio

Hails from United States

Thank you, Randy. I do believe that I am in the process of developing a bad blending habit.