Home Forums Explore Media Fiber Arts Stitch in Time March 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Debby

Wow, it’s March already! Seems we lost Jen. Hope she’s ok. We’ve been having another bout of winter after thinking we would have an early spring. Oh well, it’s not officially spring for another few weeks.

Eva, so good that you are back. Sorry you had to deal with being sick with the flu. It’s really bad this year. So many people are getting sick. Looking forward to seeing all those fancy doll clothes.

I’ve been having several low energy days after a run in with some generic sausage. I should know better. There wasn’t a list of ingredients, it was the store brand. To start with I wasn’t thrilled about the taste. Then, my stomach started hurting. There must have been either milk, wheat or both in the sausage as fillers. I’m ok now that it’s out of my system, but yuck. Now, I can get back to sewing replacement critters.

Debby
        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

We are supposed to get the storm today but it looks now like we will be on the edge of it. Yesterday we were supposed to get up to 25cm but the forecast is much reduced and so far we are only getting dandruff. :clap:

I did everything yesterday so we don’t need to go out today. I think I will focus on baking and knitting. The storm is affecting my head and joints though, even if the snow is not here.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, stay warm. Baking and knitting are great things to do.

Had rain last night and a peek of sunshine this morning. Now, the snow is falling. Lots and lots of snow. DH and I agreed to have an art day today. Unfortunately, I need to go out to the pharmacy to pick up a refill prescription. :( Was hoping to stay in.

Debby
                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Oh dear, oh dear. Have I really been so remiss as to miss sticking and unsticking the Stitch??

No good excuse. Always with something in my hands, spinning and knitting – or cars to the garage and life to live.

I am pushing myself to get a small art quilt done each week. A personal challenge. I just need to CREATE and not think about it or dwell on the options too much. Not that I have kept up with my challenge….:angel:

Greetings to all.

Jen

Jennifer Landau
                Proud to be published in Art Quilting Studio magazine and educating about wool at The Great Dickens Christmas Fair.

Debby

Jen, glad to see you are just busy and not down with illness. When do we get to see these small art quilts?

After all the snow yesterday, we have sunshine today. Cold, but clear. DH and I played with polymer clay. Lots of smooshing and starting over. I have a sort of head that I plan on baking to see if I can make a pressed felt mold. It’s the best I’ve done so far and I’m still not happy with it. So, this is just an experiment to see if the felt part works. If not, then I can maybe do something else with the polymer clay or leave it to DH.

Debby
                    Guide - Fiber Art Forum

NerfHerder

I’m curious what the “Stitch in Time” posts are for? (I’m new here):wave:

Lena

They are for chatter and support. It lets me post unfinished work, whine about the weather and my health and show off random stuff.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

NerfHerder, welcome to our chat thread. This is where we get to know each other, post things that are off-topic of fiber arts. As Lena mentioned, we can get more personal with talk about the weather, health issues and show off stuff that isn’t necessarily fiber related, tho’ it can be. We also tend to send virtual hugs and support when one of us is having a rough time. You are more than welcome to join in. We’d love to have you chat with us.

Hi Lena. :wave:

The snow came back. :( I got another commission from my rabid fan. :lol: I expect I’ll get it done today. I’ve finished re-making all the critters for the shop. Then I can get back to my doll experiments.

Debby
                                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

NerfHerder

That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying! It’s a good idea, and I’d love to join in!

Sounds like some of you live in places that get snow – our winter has been super mild and even warm, so far. We’re just now entering the “official” snow season for Colorado, but it’s still pretty dry. Currently there are grass and structure fires threatening a few areas around where I live. I really hope we can get some moisture soon!

I’ve been working on several knitting projects lately, one for myself, and the rest are for other people. I’ve gotten a few “commissions” to add to families’ personalized stockings; I’m finishing up one batch of 6, and ordering yarn for another batch of 4. Working from two different vintage (1950’s or earlier) patterns, and trying to match the originals has been a fun challenge.

I also cleaned my desk off this week, and am hoping to start some garden seeds indoors so we can have a few veggies this summer.

Debby

NerfHerder, wonderful to have you join in. :) Hope you get that moisture. You want to come clean off my desk? :lol: It’s great to start seeds indoors. I haven’t done that in several years. Tho’ where I live it’s necessary because of the short growing season if you want veggies. Looking forward to seeing your knitting projects.

I finished up the dragon commission and shipped it off this morning. I also baked the head I sculpted in polymer clay. Now to create the mold from it so I can try the pressed felt face. I’ll post pictures when I have something to show. Right now it’s all very experimental. And, I’m not the best at sculpting clay either.

Debby
                                        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

I am not good at sculpting either. I don’t understand that. I can make a nice even face doing fabric sculpture but when it comes to clay it looks like Quasimodo. I took a pottery course once that was all about hand building and sculpture and I made some the ugliest lopsided things. My daughter at 5 took a similar course and her stuff was adorable and cute (not only her mother said that).

I finished the second shawl. I frogged the first one and started it again so I can make a totally unique one and maybe publish the pattern.

Doll Art by Lena

EvaJ

Debbie and Lena, you two can have you cold and snow. You know me and anything below 75 and I am cold. NerfHerder, glad you have joined us. I am not on much any more as I am starting to get old :):) and have macular degeneration so even with bigger print I have a hard time on the computer for very long. When I can and what I did for years is sew. Teddy bears, (which Debbie use to do too) then quilts, doll clothes and pretty much any thing else I could make with fabric. Now I am down to making a few doll clothes.

I worked yesterday digging out my tall dolls. Thought I only had two or three left and found I had eight. One old one lost all her hair so today had to dig out a tote with wigs in it and got the girl so new hair. While I did that I took the glued on hair from one of the My Twinn dolls off (what a mess and chore), and put some different hair on her. My Twinn dolls all came blad and I don’t know what kind of glue this doll had on but I had to take a nail file and scrap the wig off. Didn’t hurt the wig so may use it again some day. Then I found some clothes for the My Twinn dolls and changed a couple of outfits. If I can get my camera to charge, I will get some pictures.

Tomorrow I go and have my hearing checked. Patrick keeps saying I can’t hear when he is talking to me so I will see what happens. I suspect I need a hearing aide but I would never tell Pat my hearing is bad. :)

Today was my oldest son’s birthday. He turned 59. How did he get as old as me. I sent him a message as him and his wife are in Mexico. Then on Thursday is Pat’s birthday. He turns 55. He is my baby. Of course he is 6 foot 3 inches and just over 200 so he is not much of a baby. But then he will always be my baby.

Eva :heart:

Debby

Lena, that would be awesome for you to publish a new pattern. Good luck with that.

Eva, hope you are staying warm. I know my DH needs a hearing aid, but he refuses to even go for a hearing test. :rolleyes: Yes, our babies grow up and get old too. My goodness you’ve been busy with the dolls. Looking forward to pictures when you get your camera charged.

Well, the first experiment went awry. I knew I needed a mold release to make a negative mold from the head I sculpted. Wasn’t sure what to use, but when I experimented before using corn starch, that didn’t seem to work. DH offered a silicone spray. I thought that might work. Oh boy, was I wrong! It actually melted the unbaked polymer clay. What a mess. I was able to clean it off the baked part, but the clay itself I ended up throwing out. So, online to do some, well, actual research on what people are using. It’s corn starch, or flour, or water. What? The corn starch didn’t work. *sigh* I will try water today and see what happens.

Debby
                                                    Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

I thought oil would work Debbie.

Can I suggest making a simple mock up that you can test with? Something that doesn’t take too much work? Make a bunch of them and test all the options.

As for patterns, I have a half finished one sitting for the last 2 years….
                                                        This one is simpler though.

Doll Art by Lena

NerfHerder

The desk cleaning only lasts so long, unfortunately. It’s back to piles of computer, yarn and other accessories, so I don’t know if helping you clean yours would be very helpful, DrDebby!

EvaJ, nice to meet you – isn’t technology amazing? I’m glad you’re still able to get online every now and then, and I hope you can continue to do so for a long time yet. I don’t know anything about dollmaking, or even very much about sewing clothes, but that sounds like fun. And you’re good at doing their hair, too!

DrDebby, have you tried regular veggie oil, or maybe powdered graphite for a release? I assume you are looking for some kind of lubrication to help make removal from the molds easier to do? My husband loves using the graphite as a lubricant for small fiddly projects. The tubes he gets have narrow spouts, so he can kind of squirt it where it’s needed (because it does tend to go everywhere if you’re not careful!).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.