Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone What is the best substitute for new gamboge?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I’m doing a portrait following a demo in a book by Jan Kunz. She is using new gamboge and alizarin crimson for the flesh tone, but I only have lemon yellow and cadmium yellow deep.

I know that new gamboge is a warm yellow so cadmium yellow would be my choice except that it is an opaque color. Could I use raw sienna instead? Please help! Thanking you in advance for your time.

"Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm." Winston Churchill

Uschi

I would say that the closest colour to New Gamboge is Indian Yellow, although it is a bit more into the reddish.

I don’t know about Cadmium Yellow deep, would think that Raw Sienna would be a better choice.

Why don’t you do a test strip and see what colour you think is closest to skin tone.

Also, I think you would get a better response in the Learning Zone, so I will ask the moderators to move it there.

Uschi

Thanks so much, Uschi! I do have an old tube of Indian Yellow that I forgot all about. I’ll compare it to the Raw Sienna.

"Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm." Winston Churchill

You could wait and go and buy a tube of Gamboge..:D It is such a versatile colour..:)

If you are in doubt about colours, check out http://www.handprint.com

:wave:

JJ

JJ
        Let go of past mistakes and hurts. Forgive and empower yourself. Live the life you were meant to live. And, be at peace with yourself.
        MY BLOG
        My Youtube videos

bruce johnson

Hi CJS

Yes Uschi is right on the money with Indian Yellow, I’ve also used Naples yellow from time to time… but Indian Yellow works a treat..

Just another tip as well, experiment with some other reds as well, JJ got me into quin red from M Graham and its a fabulous red for portraits.. :wave: :thumbsup:

Kate Mc

In truth, I have to say that there IS no substitute for New Gamboge :D . I use it all the time. It’s a wonderful warm yellow, but it makes great greens too.

Bruce has some good suggestions too, but be careful of Naples Yellow–it’s pretty opaque, and can make mud in a nanosecond. It’s wonderful for stone walls, though, and for sand.

Good luck–let us know what you do!

Kate

My tube of M. Graham gamboge consists of PY151 Azo Yellow + PO62 Permanent Orange…

Could I mix this myself??? Probably not… But, I wouldn’t be without my tube of Gamboge… mixed with Napthol Red, it produces the most glowing orange you ever saw!!!!

Good luck… and then… go and buy a tube!!! :D

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

Kate Mc

My tube of M. Graham gamboge consists of PY151 Azo Yellow + PO62 Permanent Orange…

THAT’s odd. My W/N New Gamboge is PY153. I wonder how different they are?

I think maybe I have a tube of M. Graham NG too. I may see if I can see any difference between them….

Kate

Neeman

Winsor Newton has New Gamboge which is PY153.
                        Winsor Newton has Indian Yellow which is PY153 and PO 62 (Winsor Orange).

New Gamboge is a warm yellow.
                        Winsor Yellow deep is more orange than New Gamboge, but is also a warm yellow.

I use Indian Yellow as my orange on my palette.

I start with Winsor Lemon, then Winsor Yellow, and Indian Yellow as my orange.
                        Or Winsor Lemon, and New Gamboge, and rely on Gold Ochre as my orange.

Neeman.

lightfast

new gamboge (py153) is made of nickel, which makes it rather special. the only substitute with nickel in it would be py150. winsor&newton has selected this pigment for their new ‘transparent yellow’ but it’s not as warm as new gamboge.

handprint recommends them both highly on this page.

btw jan kunz also frequently uses quinacridone gold. although it’s a deeper color many people who like new gamboge seem to like it too. it used to be po49 but w&n has replaced it with a new mixture of pr206, pv19 and py150.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.