Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Koh-i-noor polycolor replacement

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    amorozova

I’m upset. Koh-i-noor polycolor are out of stock in open-stock ((((( they were 75c each and my working horse for sketches and training. Now I’m looking for replacement. FC polychromos are not an issue due to price (about 3$ a pencil!!!). I choose between lyra polycolor (as they are oil) or derwent coloursoft, as I like their softness, but they are wax. The price for lyra and coloursofts is just the same.
        Which from your point of view is better replacement? Also if we take into consideration the colour chart. Lyra has more greens and blues, that I do adore. Derwent has interesting browns…I am not a portrait artist, prefer landscapes, still-life and abstrakt drawing. Suppose lyra’s chart is more close to KIN.
        I did not try to mix them. May be some of you did? How do they play with each other?
        PS: I’ve got lyra and coloursofts, tried both, like both; just need a second set to leave at cottage (and they are sold with discount now). Strange, but taking pencils in box is cheaper than in open-stock.
        PPS: I’m like that donkey, who could not choose between 2 packs of hay and dead starving …

Anna

ManedWolf

I definitely recommend Lyras because they feel very similar to KINs.

It’s no wonder that it’s cheaper to buy boxed sets as the market for open stock is reeeally small. The 12 colour sets bring as much money than all the larger sets together, and probably about one of every 100,000 customers will ever ask for open stock.

Heikki

Buying in box is both cheaper and more expensive… :) Each pencil is cheaper, but you are likely to not use all of them :P

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

amorozova

Tiago, the problem is I haven’t decided yet, which colours I will use and which not. For now I want them all ))))) but I have dear for lyra box, because of too much negative reviews – double colours, broken pencils etc….God knows how they pack this sets now…

Anna

amorozova

Please, read “I have fear”, instead “I have dear” ))

Anna

PermieW

I’ve never seen the koh-i-noor open stock. Not here anyway. Or online. But I have seen some sets sell for ridiculously inexpensive on eBay recently. (I know inexpensive is relative but a couple of the sets looked brand new.)

Here in Brasil is the only brand you find open stock. I like them a lot. They erase easily so you can use graphite techniques with them that would be hard with other brands.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.