Home Forums Explore Media Sculpture Brown Trout Woodcarving

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    GmH

This is my latest wood carving, The 16 inch Brown trout is carved from tupelo wood and painted with acrylics. The driftwood is carved from tupelo. The rocks are carved from scraps which include Butternut, Basswood, Tupelo, and Jelutong, all soft woods. Rocks are cut with bandsaw, shaped with belt sander, finished shaping with Gesswein, than sanded, textured, and painted with acrylics. The piece is than coated with Triple thick Krylon spray.

Beautifully done. You should cross-post it in the Woodcraft forum.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Very wonderfully made trout. You tricked me in that I guessed those were real rocks! Your trout has fine texture detailing to look like his scales/skin. Painting of him is superb. Great job!

[FONT=Arial Narrow]~Sculpturedolls
        [FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, fill your life with love,scatter sunshine, forget self, think of others. -Norman Vincent Peale

[FONT=Georgia]My website My Blog Join me on Facebook

jonc50

An excellent piece of work!!

GmH

Thank you everyone very much for the encouragement. Yes, the rocks are the fun part, I mean how do you mess up carving a rock!!!! The funny part is I actually use a real rock to texture the soft wood. I found lava rocks are best since their texture is extremely rough. It is the cheapest tool in my studio. I than give them a base coat using a sponge and follow that up with a splatter brush. When I am done I look like a 1st grader with finger paints…… but it does have a nice effect.

ArtsyLynda

I thought the rocks were real too! Nice job!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.