WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2017, 10:40 AM

Mixing Deep Violet

How would I mix a deep violet, almost black like in this photo.
Im using Winsor and Newton Designer Gouache. Zinc White, Primary Yellow, Blue, and Magenta. How much Magenta should I mix with the blue? thanks

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2017, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada
Re: Mixing Deep Violet

I can share this: If we were to think of the lightness-darkness scale as the following:

High Light
Middle Light
Low Light
Medium
High Dark
Middle Dark
Low Dark

... with the three primaries you have, the darkest dark you can create may only be the High Dark. I think you will need to add a black paint to add to your mixture to reach the Deep Violet you seek: middle/low dark. But his could also depend, I think, on which paints (Manufacturer) are being used, perhaps some could reach a darker dark than others using just their three versions of your primaries. But, it is possible that the addition of black could help immensely.

I hope this helps, cheers!

Last edited by KolinskyRed : 04-18-2017 at 01:14 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2017, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Monterey Bay area, California

Although it is generally only found in oil paints (not what you are using), the color "Mars Violet Deep" is very close. I only mention this for the benefit of future visitors who find this thread.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2017, 05:00 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Canada

Hails from Canada

The colors are not well-rendered in this pic. Do you mean the sweater? Also, please specify the exact pigments or color names of your blue and magenta you have (the labels will tell which pigments they are).

For dark, deep violets I like to use a red (usually a slightly purplish red but it depends) + a dark blue. And no white or black in the mix - which will dull it. However - gouache, being opaque, won't allow the deepest colors and mixes