WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-16-2019, 11:51 PM
Enthusiast
Evansville, Indiana, USA

Hails from United States
Memory Book Project

Hi, all. I've been working on a little "memory book" project for a while. Perhaps it will be of interest or give someone else an idea or two. I found an old reprint of "Naval Regulations 1802" at a flea market. It's about 4" x 6.5". I used the cover and some Stonehenge paper to bind a small sketchbook. I've been slowly filling it with sketches (from photographs) of various things related to my time in the US Navy. Most of the sketches have some problem or another but they're good practice, relaxing, and just for me...well until now, I suppose. Ha! All are drawn with dip pen and Winsor & Newton Sepia calligraphy ink.

Cheers,

Herb

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 115%; }
p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 115%; }
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2019, 01:28 AM
Veteran Member
Samara, RUSSIA

Hails from Russian Federation
Re: Memory Book Project

Great work!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2019, 07:43 AM
Lord of the Arts

Yer, excellent work Herb !
Not only do the drawings work really well but I especially like this use of the pen - it just seems so totally appropriate for a um what's the word .... a journaling type approach.
I feel sure that both you & future generations will find interest & value in this work.
Mike
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2019, 01:03 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

It's a lovely idea and classy!
The drawings are really good too - personal but well done.
A great archive for your descendants!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2019, 03:40 PM
Enthusiast
Evansville, Indiana, USA

Hails from United States

Thank you, Alexandr, Maureen, and Mike. I hope my girls find it of value some day but it will probably end up on the trash heap with all my other accumulated junk. Ha! Ha!

I wish I had started learning to draw those many years ago and would have created sketches of events as they happened, but it's never too late for art, right?

The paper is Stonehenge "cream" and has a reddish tint, at least until it is exposed to light for some time, then it fades to an off-white. I thought it would be protected in a sketch book. The W&N Sepia calligraphy ink has a distinct reddish-brown color that I think is really striking on the reddish tint paper.

The Hunt 99 nib (in my hand, for sure!) results in a very organic, sketchy look that appeals to me and suits this project, I think.

Cheers,

Herb
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2019, 07:13 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb

The paper is Stonehenge "cream" and has a reddish tint, at least until it is exposed to light for some time, then it fades to an off-white. I thought it would be protected in a sketch book. The W&N Sepia calligraphy ink has a distinct reddish-brown color that I think is really striking on the reddish tint paper.

The Hunt 99 nib (in my hand, for sure!) results in a very organic, sketchy look that appeals to me and suits this project, I think.

Cheers,

Herb
Yes I've found that too, the Stonehenge paper does fade, even out of contact with light .
Pleased to see you are a fan of dip pens but don't believe those bold claims by Windsor & Newton that their calligraphy ink is safe for fountain pens, well let's just say it's not safe to leave in for long in expensive fountain pens. I had to take one apart & scrub the thick gunge off the feed after being filled for only 3 weeks & I was using it every few days !
Mike

Last edited by pedlars pen : 10-19-2019 at 07:21 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2019, 05:27 PM
Enthusiast
Evansville, Indiana, USA

Hails from United States

A private message from another member reminded me that I had another electrician's knife from the boat. It's a little worse for the wear, having spent a couple of months in the bilge being ravaged by various chemicals, but it cleaned up OK and has served me well for many years.

I agree wholeheartedly about the calligraphy ink in fountain pens, Mike. Since I don't need a daily writer, I've taken to only inking my pens for a drawing and then cleaning them out...and then typically only for plein air sketching excursions when I don't want to deal with ink bottles. I much prefer to draw with dip pens whenever possible.

I tried to adjust the color balance to show the redness of the W&N Sepia ink and pinkish color of the paper. The ink seems OK on my monitor but the paper's still too white.

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2019, 12:13 PM

Excellent drawings! I was actually applying to go to the navy a few months ago, so I enjoyed the drawings even more. The line work is wonderful.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-30-2019, 01:53 AM

Nice drawings! And thanks for your service. I've got a bunch of friends who served time on boomers based out of the Hood Canal. Lot of integrity in submariners.
http://www.websterart.com/html/still-lifes-v4.php