WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 05:53 AM

Pen Identification- HELP! VERY sentimental pen.

Hello Everyone I am here to ask of you all a BIG question. So, here goes nothing. I really hope that this isn't a HUGE long-shot, even though I pretty much know that it IS!

OK so, I don't need any love and attention for this, it happened a long, long time ago. But, my father died when I was in 3rd grade. I was 9 or 10 years old at the time and I barely spent any time with him. He worked 2 jobs, and I only saw him when he got home for dinner and bed. He was not home at all, except for the 2 vacations he'd take.

Anyway, he would bring me home presents from work. He knew that I LOVED art, and he brought me home pencils and pens. HERE is where my QUESTION: is, for anyone to help and/or answer. Well, he brought me home a box of blue ballpoint pens. I have ONE of these pens left after all these years. (I just turned 21 April 15th) These blue pens have WHITE writing on them. The pens say "BESB BLIND MADE MED 1913" and I have not been able to find similar pens anywhere

I am basically hoping that someone here will be able to tell me where I might be able to find BESB Blind Made pens. I know, this is a huge long-shot, but I have to at least TRY! This last pen, of all the pens of his I once had, is a wonderful pen. It writes like a dream, and even if it didn't, I'd still search high and low for pens like the ones my father used to write down suspicious behavior at his job as a security guard for the college he worked at, or his job as an accountant.

"BESB BLIND MIND MED 1913" is what the pens say. I have not been able to find anything like them and I'm still not truly sure what BESB stands for. When I google BESB I find "board of education & services for the blind" but I think this may just be the company that had the pens custom made/inscribed with what is written on my pen.

I am wondering if this pen is just an old BIC or something similar. It is all metal, all dark blue, with WHITE writing on the side. The clicker to make the tip come out, is metal, stainless steel, and so is the tip. When I take the ink cartridge out, it is just a long skinny stainless steel barrel, and it is CRIMPED at the end, to make the spring work?

Does anyone have any idea what pen manufacturer may have made these pens in the early to mid 1990s? (maybe before?) If anyone here can help, THANK YOU! Thank you SO VERY, VERY MUCH!

I would love to buy a package and know I am writing with my dad's pens of choice, or the very pens my dad stumbled upon.

So, thank you, again, for any help. Much appreciated.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2012, 09:41 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States
Re: Pen Identification- HELP! VERY sentimental pen.

Hi, wakeup! My suggestion to to post your question PLUS a picture or two of the pen (good quality, close-up detail too) in the "Writing Instruments" section on the Fountain Pen Network. Despite the name, all kinds of pens are discussed there. Even ballpoints! Someone may be able to help you. Remember: good sharp photos are key.

Jan
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2012, 09:15 PM

Hails from Canada
Re: Pen Identification- HELP! VERY sentimental pen.

i sure hope you find them. good luck