Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Mural WIP

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    oldnmartist

Wish me luck on this one. Acrylic on hardboard, 3 x 4 ft
        My first try at this large size.
        Comments seriously appreciated (because I don’t get many).
        This is the first pass, where I use Blick acrylics to cover the surface.

Everything else being equal, I would rather be in the painting zone.

talisman

Great start.
            I never do anything that large good luck!

Dianna WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art
            C and C always welcome.
            My DeviantArt Gallery

That is a biggie. It is a good start. I like the composition overall.

Good variation of greens and good sense of depth. In my opinion the sense of depth is the most important thing in a landscape. The sky holes are good, maybe a few more would be good as the scene develops.

Not sure what that dark mass is in the middle of the lower part of the screen. The lower branch coming in from the right seems a little unnatural. I’ve painted a couple of pictures with a partial tree trunk on the edge but I didn’t like the effect and won’t be doing it again.

A painting is never really done as long as I can get my hands on it.

oldnmartist

Thanks Diana. Thanks Cliff for the advice, and I am particularly sensitive to trying to achieve depth.

gaykir

Great start! I love painting large, though my usual is 24” X 36”. I love the direction you’re headed with this.

http://gaylekirbyart.blogspot.com/

It’s a good basic comp and the blocking is already showing a solid piece.
                    I’d remove that bit of tree trunk on the right – it’s neither nothing nor something so will distract!
                    If you want to lead the eye in from there, use tonal variation, e.g. the light and shadow on the grass – it can be visually similar to a path.
                    You could go even darker in parts of the background as you have some lovely light in the water.
                    Towards the end, some bright/light/contrasting detail of grass/foliage/plant could give you a nice foreground to add to the depth – allow some taller and thinner grasses to break the bank line and take the eye up into the water area.
                    As you are already doing at this stage, keep thinking ‘light against dark’ for sparkling interest!:)

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

oldnmartist

More work on this. Taking in the advice of the commenters. Thank you.

Old_hobbyest

Keep at it. Great start

oldnmartist

More work on the background. Next will work on midground.

Keep the comments coming. I take them seriously!

Boafamily

Looking real nice thus far and I know it will be a stunning finished piece.

jonc50

Excellent choice of colours!

oldnmartist

Thanks to all for the encouragement and suggestions. I got sort of sidelined but will get back to this soon.

bluefish

going to be a lovely piece when finished…..take a look at the rear right side…..the left rear has lots of detail and good coloring but the right side is dull….IMHO…..nice size :thumbsup:

fedetony

great start… looks very well composed… As Maureen mentioned the tree in the right, either take it out or make it bit more inside. Also use colors you can replicate: if you are mixing, keep a paper with the proportions of colors. If you use different colors in the whole composition the whole painting looks uncoupled, but if you use the same colors gives the appearance of unity, gives it strength… :)

Federico Garcia
                                                    My Blog
                                                    C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Mary

I don’t know how you’ve handled so many variations of green and still managed to make it look good! ;-) I feel like greens are my nemesis… obviously I need more practice.

This is a great start! I’m looking forward to seeing how you build on it.

Mary.

Mary Thompson
                                                        http://www.wildpinesstudio.net

Constructive Criticism Always Welcome.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.