WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2017, 02:48 PM

Hails from Palestine
Re: Paint thinners with Polychromos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delofasht
HiddenConstellation, it may be that you should use a lot more color before blending then, oil dissolves the binder, but if there isn't a lot of it there it won't have as much impact. I have some photos of the effect is has on my Polychromos in the CP Library here, in one of the Tips and Tricks threads, should be near the most recent there. As I use walnut oil, and it's more active than mineral oil for blending I have found, a far better solvent and very light in color (with a good smell as well).

I've tried applying color heavily, lightly, and in between but it still didn't give me the right effect
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2017, 04:07 PM
Enthusiast
Whitby, Ontario

Hails from Canada

As far as I know Gamsol is made by Grumbacher. Alyona Nichelsen used it for her demonstrations in her "Coloured Pencil Painting Bible. This book came out before she produced the powder blender. Maybe you could give us an example of what you are trying to do. Someone may then be better able to help you.
Vena
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2017, 06:25 AM

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delofasht
Interesting, olive oil is a very slow drier I thought, extremely slow as high oleic acid oils dry very, very slowly indeed. I could see it being used, though I would consider a clearer oil a superior alternative, such as walnut, safflower, or poppy.

But my drawings smell so nice when I do it ....
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2017, 01:46 PM
Lord of the Arts
Salisbury, Maryland

Hails from United States

It dawned on me that there are other elements to using blenders in general that may be affecting your results, one of which being surface. Quality papers or surface preparation make very large differences in blending results. As mentioned earlier I work on prepared wood or hardboard panels, among a great number of other surfaces. The chief common factor however is a durable absorbent surface, for me some of the best I have found is a kind of marble dust gesso on panel, hot press watercolor paper, or a printmakers paper. Any of these will respond well to blenders though all of them react in slightly different ways. Sketchbook paper has proven to not be a very good surface for blending with solvents of any kind, at least for me.

Tiago: I like the smell of walnut oil or poppy a lot as well.

Delofasht.deviantart.com
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2017, 08:16 PM

Hails from Palestine

Delofasht–I don't know, I've tried different kinds of paper such as cold press (can't find any HP here unfortunately) watercolor paper, canson figueras paper for oils and acrylics, canson XL mixed media.. None worked
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2017, 08:23 PM

Hails from Palestine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingpongfan
As far as I know Gamsol is made by Grumbacher. Alyona Nichelsen used it for her demonstrations in her "Coloured Pencil Painting Bible. This book came out before she produced the powder blender. Maybe you could give us an example of what you are trying to do. Someone may then be better able to help you.
Vena
I don't think I'll be able to do so, but I've already explained in my previous comments what I'm doing exactly
I've tried many ways, such as..
1) coloring a soft/light/thin layer with one color
2) coloring a soft layer with two colors
3) soft layer, multiple colors
4) medium layer, one color
5) medium layer, two colors
6) medium layer, multiple colors
7)heavy/hard layer, 1 color, another 2, and another multiple
And at the end of each step I try putting a little oil on a brush or cloth, etc and moving the brush in a circular way (I've also tried others but I read that you should do so circularly), if that didn't work I add a little more, and if that didn't work I add a lot of baby oil, and on each type of paper mentioned in my previous comment. I also tried pushing the brush lightly, and heavily too
I hope that explains it ^^
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2017, 08:24 PM

Hails from Palestine

I appreciate all your help and sorry for taking from your time everyone, thanks :'D
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2017, 09:55 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

I think you are blending too early and too often. I have to say that I use prismacolors which are wax, but blending before I have 3 heavy layers on or maybe 5 or 6 light ones does not do the trick.

To me, the value of blending is just to get a good base coat that keeps the pits of the paper from showing. All the other "blending" I do is with layering. I also don't use sharp points until the end.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2017, 10:19 AM

Hails from Palestine

RobinZ– You think so? I've done less than 5 because that's what I've seen everyone else do, I'll try doing 5-6 light layers later today, thanks
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2017, 06:58 AM

Hails from Brazil

Try to do a drawing without blending. Up to the point you consider the drawing would be complete. Try some TINY bit of drawing then, you will probably learn a bit more that way. Remember.. a BIT, its better to under do it than to over do it when you are learning. With time I started to not blend anymore sicne i learned to like my drawings to look like drawings when examined up close.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2017, 08:24 AM
Enthusiast
Whitby, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Maybe the paper you are using is your problem. Try hot-press water colour paper. I have only four polychromos pencils, shades of green. I did about a one inch test layering those four on Art Spectrum paper which is for wet media but does not have much tooth. Then I used Zest It, but any odourless mineral spirits will do, and nothing happened. It didn't blend at all. I did the same test with Prismacolour and they blended just fine.
Vena