Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Soluvar Varnish…..Never again!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    WFMartin

In the past, I believe that I may have actually recommended the use of Soluvar Varnish. I don’t know who makes it–Liquitex, I think (not sure). I realize that I’m a bit of a “reactionary”, meaning that I tend to be influenced by any problem that seems to be caused by the changing of one factor in the process, rather than taking an academic approach as some would, and begin testing a dozen other factors, most of which seem to have no bearing upon the problem.

My latest experience is as follows:

I have a nice painting that I created on a Fredrix Linen panel. I do not remember whether it was an acrylic primed linen, or an oil primed linen. After I finished the painting, I varnished it with Soluvar Varnish. I used this merely to use it up, so as to have some economy of materials. My true choice of final varnish for oil paintings is GamVar, most definitely, but I used this Soluvar merely because I believed it would exhibit all the characteristics of GamVar Varnish.

To be considered an appropriate varnish for an oil painting, it must exhibit the following characteristics: 1) . It should improve the appearance of the painting by creating an even sheen across the entire surface. 2) . It should protect the surface of the painting from minor dirt, and abrasions. and 3) . It should be capable of being removed with the weakest of solvents, without dissolving the dried, painted surface beneath it.

This third characteristic is often the most important of all, but also one that many artists tend to ignore, or be oblivious to.

I did not even know that I had used Soluvar Varnish on this painting, until I happened to look at my notes on the back of the panel.

A mishap occurred with this painting, when, because of storing it, the paper surface of a Foamcore board became pressed against the surface, causing the paper to delaminate from the Foamcore, and stick to the painting when they were pulled apart. My goal was to soak off the attached paper from the surface, remove the varnish over the entire surface, and then retouch any painted areas, and re-varnish the painting.

I initially believed that I had varnished in with GamVar, as I normally would have, and that I could easily remove the varnish with Odorless Mineral Spirits. I know this does work, because I’ve done it before.

When I began trying to dissolve this varnished surface, it seemed to resist being dissolved into a liquid state by the OMS, and instead it clumped, and rolled up when rubbed, as dead skin would with the use of an exfoliating cream. However, the rolled up residue remained sticky, like Rubber Cement, and gummy. I had a difficult time removing it from the surface of the painting.

This Soluvar most definitely does not remove easily by allowing itself to be dissolved by OMS. Whether or not I have recommended the use of Soluvar Varnish in the past to anyone with whom I have been in contact, or not, I don’t remember, but to set the record straight, I most definitely would not reccommed the use of Soluvar Varnish now. Prior to this experience, I have not ever had the need to remove Soluvar Varnish, but rest assured–it does not dissolve, or remove easily with the use of OMS.

GamVar easily dissolves, becoming liquid again, when I apply OMS to it. I can then wipe it totally off using a dry rag. Soluvar goes into this sticky, rubbery mess, rolling off the surface like dead skin, but remaining so gummy that it is terribly difficult to remove.

Long story short……I no longer recommend the use of Soluvar Varnish for oil paintings. I don’t recommend it to my friends, nor will I ever use it myself for future oil paintings.

I finallhy removed most of the Soluvar Varnish, and I’m ready to retouch the paint. I did remove a LOT of my painting while attempting to remove this Soluvar crap! Soluvar? Never again! It looks pretty, but it doesn’t remove!

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
        https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Pinguino

Never used Soluvar, but I just looked around the Internet… Seems that Soluvar hates OMS, either as thinner or remover. Must used mineral spirits or turps, which are more powerful solvents.

So, it seems that the problem is not Soluvar itself, as long as the underlying painting is fully cured. Must be more cured than when using Gamvar.

Gamblin has a digital template for making stickers, which can be stuck to the back of a stretcher or panel. Says that the work was varnished with Gamvar on thus-and-such a date, and can be renewed using Gamsol. Seems like a good idea for any kind of varnish, so that a future refinisher knows what to do.

Don Ketchek

Never used Soluvar, but I just looked around the Internet… Seems that Soluvar hates OMS, either as thinner or remover. Must used mineral spirits or turps, which are more powerful solvents.

Alas, Bill, you are guilty of the common problem of not reading the instructions! (Believe me, we’ve all been there…). Nothing wrong with the Soluvar. Instructions on the Liquitex website are pretty clear – don’t use OMS, but rather Mineral Spirits or Turpentine. Here’s a link:

http://www.liquitex.com/archivalremovablevarnish/

Don

WFMartin

Alas, Bill, you are guilty of the common problem of not reading the instructions! (Believe me, we’ve all been there…). Nothing wrong with the Soluvar. Instructions on the Liquitex website are pretty clear – don’t use OMS, but rather Mineral Spirits or Turpentine. Here’s a link:

[URL]http://www.liquitex.com/archivalremovablevarnish/[/URL]

Don

Well, OMS is “Mineral Spirits”. Odorless Mineral Spirits. Had I “read the directions”, I surely wouldn’t have done anything different. I actually had tried using Turpentine on some of the smaller areas, and that didn’t seem to work very well, either. Turpentine also has a tendency to remove the surface of the painted image, which it did!

Raffless

Hmmm. OMS is weaker than regular mineral spirit after the refinement reducing its solvent capability. Thats why they state this three times in that article shown.

Old thread
                        https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-380823.html

WFMartin

Hmmm. OMS is weaker than regular mineral spirit after the refinement reducing its solvent capability. Thats why they state this three times in that article shown.

Old thread
                            [url]https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-380823.html[/url]

Yeah. It seems I must have missed something in my education regarding solvents. I always thought they were basically the same thing (minus the smell, of course.) . Seems that removing the smell must really weaken the heck out of Mineral Spirits.

Still, if Soluvar requires a solvent that strong to remove it, I’m not interested in using Soluvar any more.:)

Gigalot

Soluvar is acrylic solvent varnish. It will never dissolve into OMS. To remove Soluvar, artist must use the same solvent as for removing of Dammar varnish.
                                Also, soluvar is acrylic polymer varnish rather than “low molecular weight resin” varnish. That means, when artist use wrong solvent, soluvar can absorb it partially and forms gel and that looks like skin. To remove old soluvar, at least regular turpentine should be used. Or a mixture with toluene, turpentine e.t.c.

Pthalo White

Whoever invented varnishes should be shot. (joke)

Pinguino

General rules (not absolute):

In various kinds of mineral or natural spirits, including turpentine, kerosene, gasoline (petrol), naphtha, paraffin oil, whatever: Odor is caused by cyclic hydrocarbons (such as benzene, and many others). Linear and branched hydrocarbons, without pentane or hexane rings, are odorless. This is without reference to non-hydrocarbon compounds that can naturally or artificially add a scent.

An odorless mineral spirit is one that has been refined (or chemically built up) in such a way as to eliminate cyclic hydrocarbons. As a side benefit, this may also reduce carcinogenicity.

The solvent power of mineral or natural hydrocarbon spirits, is largely a matter of molecular size, which relates to molecular weight. The smaller the molecules, the more they can squeeze between and dilute the molecules of whatever they are trying to dissolve.

However, smaller, lighter hydrocarbons also have a lower flash point, meaning that they will more readily vaporize and burst into flame when an ignition source is nearby. If that were not a problem, gasoline would make a great brush cleaner! (Don’t do it.)

Thus, the more the solvent power, the greater the fire hazard. Exception: Chlorinated hydrocarbons can have small (but heavier) molecules with high solvent power and low fire hazard. Examples are carbon tetrachloride and methylene chloride. But chlorinated hydrocarbons often have great health hazards from inhalation or contact, so don’t use them in painting.

OMS is a mixture of various non-ring hydrocarbons (and possibly other compounds). If it is formulated to have small molecules and a low flash point, it will have high solvent power but be flammable. Or, if it is formulated another way, it will have lower solvent power and be “combustible,” meaning that its flash point is about a certain legally specific temperature. Gamsol, and many other OMS used for oil paints, are in this category of low solvent power and high flash point.

Turpentine has higher solvent power, and lower flash point. It is flammable. This is why it can dissolve some varnish resins that safer OMS cannot dissolve. It is also why turpentine is more of a fire hazard. The health issues are a different matter.

In the USA, the post office (USPS) will allow air shipment of combustible liquids, if safely packaged and for consumer use. It will not allow air shipments of flammable liquids. See here. The flash point of Gamsol is 144F (combustible, can be shipped by domestic air). The flash point of turpentine may be as low as 86F. It is flammable, and cannot be shipped by air no matter how packaged.

If turpentine were somehow made odorless by the removal of ring hydrocarbons and naturally-occurring scents, it would nevertheless retain most of its solvent power, and still be a fire hazard due to flammability.

If you add lemon oil to Gamsol, it is not longer odorless, but it still has lower solvent power and is less of a fire hazard. In fact, “aromatherapy” lamps sometimes use a liquid that is similar to scented Gamsol (but not exactly the same, so don’t do it this way).

Ryan Demaree

My varnish doesn’t remove as well, but I go into my painting knowing this.

Beautiful Amber Varnish made by Groves!

My Website - www.rdemaree.com

WFMartin

My varnish doesn’t remove as well, but I go into my painting knowing this.

Beautiful Amber Varnish made by Groves!

Part of the requirements of an appropriate varnish is that it dissolve easily, and with the weakest of all solvents, OMS. Stronger solvents tend to dissolve the surface of the painting, as well, and that’s not my goal.

I don’t want to use a varnish that can’t be removed easily. If I am required to use Turpentine, Toluene, White Spirits, etc. merely to remove a simple, final varnish, I won’t choose such a varnish.

Hard resins, such as copal, and amber, are fine to use as ingredients within a painting, but certainly not on top of it.:)

Gigalot

Bill, you can try acrylic Soluvar varnish as oiling out fluid. It is non-yellowish and fast drying stuff. Then, finally, apply regalrez (Gamvar) on top.

Ryan Demaree

Part of the requirements of an appropriate varnish is that it dissolve easily, and with the weakest of all solvents, OMS. Stronger solvents tend to dissolve the surface of the painting, as well, and that’s not my goal.

I don’t want to use a varnish that can’t be removed easily. If I am required to use Turpentine, Toluene, White Spirits, etc. merely to remove a simple, final varnish, I won’t choose such a varnish.

Hard resins, such as copal, and amber, are fine to use as ingredients [I]within[/I] a painting, but certainly not on top of it.:)

To each their own!

I love the look of amber varnish on my paintings, and I dont want it to be removed

for mosst artists I would recommend gamvar or similar but it all comes down to aesthetic opinion

My Website - www.rdemaree.com

Grimbo

Eeek! Sorry to hear you’ve had problems like this Bill. I find it very upsetting when things like this happen. I’ve used Soluvar on past works. Not sure it’s for me now.
                                                            Does anyone know which is the easiest to remove, Gamvar or Golden’s MSA varnish?

WFMartin

I know that the concept of “removing one’s final varnish” is difficult to understand for some artists, and they usually claim that they would not ever think of being required to remove a final, finishing application of varnish, but it is only when one finds it necessary to remove a varnish that it truly becomes important.

As I may have mentioned, I had a couple of paintings stick together, face-to-face, in shipment. When they were pulled apart, they “picked”, meaning that bits of varnish, and oil paint got pulled off one painting, and stuck to the other.

When I got them back for repair, the first thing I had to do was to remove the varnish, primarily because most of the real “damage” was to the varnish. I had varnished these two paintings with GamVar, and I found that I was able to remove the varnish very easily with OMS. The varnish cleaned off the surfaces very well, without dissolving the painting beneath it, and I was able to retouch a couple of minor paint blemishes, and to then re-varnish.

To be quite honest, the paintings appeared better after this operation of removing the varnish, and re-varnishing than they had in the beginning. I believe my removal of the varnish may have scrubbed off a few dimensional globs of hairs, and dust that had been left in the first go-round of my paintings.

Anyway, to me the ability to remove a final varnish by using the weakest of all solvents, OMS, is profoundly important. I would never, ever, apply a varnish that I felt could never be removed. That’s just NOT the function of an appropriate varnish for an oil painting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.