Home Forums Explore Subjects Artwork from Life Scavenger Hunt #557 Sept 14 – 22

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    jmfletch

Greetings from Florida !!!

If you’ve done at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one, we’d really appreciate it! You can sign up by posting your name and the current hosting list stickie on Artwork from Life forum: https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show…366347&page=57

Rules for Hunting:
        * All items on the list must be sketched from life–not imagination nor photo references
        * Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed to by unanimous vote among the participants
        * You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count those objects as separate list items, but no single object can count for more than one list item.
        * All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you sketch and post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.

Do as many or as few items as you like; you don’t have to finish the entire list to participate! You don’t have to comment on every post, but comment, if and when you can.

Scavenger Hunts last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.

Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you to do each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are also welcome!

Scavenger Hunt #557 Sept 14 – 22
        Kitchen item
        Bathroom item
        Bedroom item
        Smells sweet
        Indoors
        Outdoors
        Inside
        Outside
        Above
        Below
        Large
        Small
        2 legs
        3 legs
        4 legs
        Soft
        Hard
        Folds
        Shadow
        Mineral
        Metal
        Plastic
        Glass
        Natural
        Art related
        Seasonal

Challenges
        Use a medium you like but do not use a lot.
        Blind contour
        Use 3 or more items to create composition

Keep sketching
        Joe

“The act of art can be so relaxing after you get over yourself.” - Quoting Robin

Eye

Thanks Joe for the list..

Ai

Painting is my soul. My blog.
            https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/01-Feb-2009/4926-ai_signature_Feb09.gif

Indikon

Thank you! I’m hoping to be able to get a few sketches done this time!

Thanks, Joe. Hope to find time to sketch.

My blog https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/
                My website https://jocastilloart.com

White Pen

Heya

Joe thanks for the greetings from Florida , greetings back from Austria :wink2: .

Love all in the list except the plastic :rolleyes: .
                    This is a hughe theme here to reduce pvc and go back to natural-materials .

I keep staying away if possible and go all the refill stuff if available .

So don´t bear with me if i let this go .:cat:

See the storm coming up strong , on TV hope none of you is in that area .:eek:

Keep sketching , i go now to count my pens .. oh i have just one ,OK i do make the challenge 3 to go…

Cheers on a heavy rainy friday evening right to go for fresh Porcini mushroom in a pasta a la creme .

Humor is just another defense against the universe.........On-Line Homebase........

Indikon

1. Kitchen item (pepper mill)
                        2. Bedroom item (old alarm clock)
                        3. Bathroom item (toothbrush)

The first two were drawn with a Platinum Carbon pen & waterbrush, the last one the same, but with watercolour paint too. They’re in a B5 sized Strathmore watercolour book. As usual, I forgot to notice the time, but not very long!

Eye

Awesome start Indikon.

Ai

Painting is my soul. My blog.
                            https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/01-Feb-2009/4926-ai_signature_Feb09.gif

brianvds

Indikon: not sure I have even heard of some of those materials, but nice sketches. :-)

Kitchen item (mug), plastic (glue bottle) and natural (wild iris seed pods).
                                Decided to have a go at these with loose charcoal.

jmfletch

We are off to a good start.

Indikon – I like how you used ink wash for shading. Tried that with one ink I have but it was waterproof and had dried so ended just wetting the paper. :lol: Nice work.

Brian – you get extra points for Challenge #3. You handle charcoal well. I especially like the subtle shading and highlights on the glue bottle.

Ai :wave:

Keep sketching
                                    Joe

“The act of art can be so relaxing after you get over yourself.” - Quoting Robin

Indikon

Joe, I was using waterproof ink today. I just dip the tip of the brush into a little of the ink on the nib when I need more wet ink — but It can end up much too dark, so you have to be careful where you start to use it.

eyepaint

Joe – thanks for the new list

Indikon – great pepper/spice grinder. that toothbrush has so many colours in the bristles!

Brian – woo hoo for charcoal!

-- EP Moderator for:
                                            All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

brianvds

Brian – you get extra points for Challenge #3. You handle charcoal well. I especially like the subtle shading and highlights on the glue bottle.

Thanks! I have actually become a bit rusty; I should do more of these. What I like about charcoal is that it allows one to cover a great deal of surface in a great deal of tone very rapidly, so it suits my fairly rapid way of working (I simply don’t have the patience or the talent for the refined classical approach). I also use the sticks “as is”, instead of putting them in a holder or carefully sharpening them, because it effectively prevents me from drawing any thin lines, and thus forces me to focus on big shapes rather than getting bogged down in detail (a persistent bad habit of mine).

Perhaps I should make a point of using charcoal for these scavenger hunts… :-)

Indikon

Brian, I like the charcoal! I should try that sometime, and that ability to create large dark areas is interesting — that’s always difficult with watercolour.

My materials aren’t very fancy — just a pen and brush.

brianvds

Brian, I like the charcoal! I should try that sometime, and that ability to create large dark areas is interesting — that’s always difficult with watercolour.

My materials aren’t very fancy — just a pen and brush.

Ah, okay – I just haven’t heard of these particular brands then. I also tend to prefer simple materials; I don’t want to get too dependent on specific brands or rare materials.

__________________________
                                                        http://brianvds.blogspot.co.za/

Indikon

#4 Smells sweet: vanilla

Same sketchbook. Pen and watercolour.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.