Home Forums Explore Subjects Still Life Copper Kettle

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bobbymac

My second ever Still Life, first using oil. This was painted on a 9×12 wood panel. I left the toned board exposed, what do you think? There are areas on the painting that shine and areas that are dull but that should all be resolved once I put varnish on it. Even though it is signed, as long as it is in my possession its never finished. :lol: So if you have any suggestions for improvement I would appreciate it if you would comment. Thank you for looking. Bob

Irishwhistler

NICELY DONE. 👍

Mike

bobbymac

NICELY DONE. 👍

Mike

Thank you Mike. Now that I am looking at the image again, it looks to be out of focus. :o

AllisonR

The cup and handle are nicely done but the spout thing is awkward. The brown bottle almost looks like a shadow because it is the same hue and value as the shadows – but I like this effect. I like your soft edges. And the backgrounds cool blue is a lovely contrast with the brown. Your grapes and cup appear to be floating, there should be a shadow that is darker than the brown to hold them down.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
                    AllisonR

if it is oil straight on wood it will not last. I hope you sized it first either with clear pva or rabbit skin glue.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
                        bobbymac

if it is oil straight on wood it will not last. I hope you sized it first either with clear pva or rabbit skin glue.

Shellac, 3 coats of gesso then oil paint. According to what I’ve read this should be sufficient. Well I hope that it is.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.