Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Is Cadmium Red Medium really red with an orange bias?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    thevaliantx

I could not produce ‘pink’ by mixing it with titanium white. What ‘red’ should I be using? Or, rather, is there a way to make pink by mixing the above two colors with other colors?

Gigalot

I could not produce ‘pink’ by mixing it with titanium white. What ‘red’ should I be using? Or, rather, is there a way to make pink by mixing the above two colors with other colors?

Quin red PR209 can give you better pink color. Cobalt violet light is also good.
            PV19 and PR122 are not bad.

Pinguino

If you happen to have Venetian Red (or Indian Red), try it. This opaque color is iron rust. Looks rather pink to me, when mixed with Titanium White. But it won’t produce a “shocking pink” of high chroma.

Perhaps you prefer pink with a slight violet tinge?

thevaliantx

I’m not good at describing the color I’m looking for. I was thinking a pinkish rose with light purple in the shadows.

Is it the color ID’s I should be focusing on, and not the color names?

Thanks for helping out!

Pinguino

The color IDs are often a good guide. But not always. The pigment ID is actually a means of identifying chemical composition. The actual color can very quite a bit, depending on how it is processed. That is especially true with colors based on iron oxide.

Based on what you just wrote, Gigalot’s recommendations are likely to be good. Note that PV19 has variations. The Cadmium colors are not likely to work for you. Before spending money on many tubes of paint (some of which are not in the cheap grade), have a look at color samples online. They won’t be accurate, but you can get a good idea of which are closer to orange and which are closer to violet, by direct comparison.

thevaliantx

Why would the cadmium colors not be likely a good fit for me? I would have thought that Cadmium Red Medium is just that, a red that isn’t too light or too dark. Not a red with a strong orange bias to it (something I did not notice until I actually looked at the colors). Thanks for the heads up on the terminology. I did mean Pigment Name. :thumbsup:

WFMartin

Why would the cadmium colors not be likely a good fit for me? I would have thought that Cadmium Red Medium is just that, a red that isn’t too light or too dark.

Well, it is, but it is also quite a grayed version of “Red”. Depending upon what sort of “Pink” you wish, I would guess that a “dirty” version of “Pink” isn’t one of them.

I would believe that Quinacridone Red PR209, would create a nice, clean “Pink” when mixed with White.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Pinguino

If you search online for “online color mixer” you will ind a few pages that let you try color mixes. Of course, since these are software, they are not the same as real paint. But you can compare relative colors, even if the medium is different.

My ealier suggestion to try Venetian/Indian Red (also called iron oxide red) would probably not produce a desirable color. Among the cadmiums, it seems that only Cadmium Red Light produces what I would call pink; that’s a surprise, because its hue angle is not in the direction I would expect. But blended with white it produces a more saturated color than do the other cadmums, and perhaps that makes it appear pinker

Quinacridone Red looks good*, and the Naphthol and Pyrrole reds look OK. Some of the reddish “magenta” colors look OK. There are other reds that definitely lean orange.

Of course, whether your mixture looks pink enough for you, will depend on surrounding colors.

* “Quinacridone Red” is one of several chemically different pigments, depending on manufacturer. I believe their performance is similar, but am not sure.

opainter

For the red that I think you are looking for to mix a vibrant pink, you need a high-chroma red, and unfortunately, Cadmium Red Medium may be too dull.

I agree with those who recommend that you consider Cadmium Red Light or a Quinacridone red. Cadmium Red Light in tints tends to lose its “orangeness” and will give you a nice pink. Most Quinacridones are sufficiently high-chroma to also give you a nice pink. Of the two, my suggestion is that you try Cadmium Red Light, which I believe will work just fine. The Cadmiums have an advantage over the Quinacridones, at least as far as many painters are concerned, which is that they are more opaque so thus have more covering power.

AJ (opainter), C&C always welcome
                                        :::: Helpful links for new users: User Agreement || Reference Images || C&C Suggestions || Color Theory and Mixing (color theory and color selection) || Full List of Forums
                                        :::: Painting Blog with an article now and then

thevaliantx

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions. I will try these and report back. :thumbsup:

Crystal1

For a pink that leans toward a light purple, you would want a PR209 or PV19. They are more transparent, as opainter said, however, the more opaque white you add the more opaque your colors become. Also, if you want really bright colors the transparent colors are the best. Most of the other reds, you will need to add a little blue, to make the pink more purple. Good Luck and happy painting.

Patrick1

“I’m not good at describing the color I’m looking for. I was thinking a pinkish rose with light purple in the shadows.”

When painted opaquely, Cadmium reds are among the highest-chroma reds. But diluted, or tinted with white, they are duller than organic reds, and they lack any ‘purplishness’ you seem to want. Most other organic reds will make brighter, rosy pinks, it depends on just how purplish you want. The most obvious choices: the various Naphthol reds, PR207, PR209, PV19.

KeeverMacLeod

Of course Cadmium Red isn’t going to give you a rose color. It reflects no blue. One does not bring a Cadmium to a Quinacridone party.

Mythrill

Of course Cadmium Red isn’t going to give you a rose color. It reflects no blue. One does not bring a Cadmium to a Quinacridone party.

You could try tinting Cadmium Red Medium or Deep (PR 108) with white (any). It should have faint traces of purplishness. If it’s not enough, then you can add some a little bit of Quinacridone Magenta (PR 122) to the mix.

KeeverMacLeod

You could try tinting Cadmium Red Medium or Deep (PR 108) with white (any). It should have faint traces of purplishness. If it’s not enough, then you can add some a little bit of Quinacridone Magenta (PR 122) to the mix.

Quinacridone Magenta or Rose works well. I’ve used Cadmium Red Medium mixed with Quinacridone Rose for complex, fleshy reds.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Is Cadmium Red Medium really red with an orange bias?’ is closed to new replies.