Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Which shade of thalo green do I have?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Redneck

I have an old little 11cc tube of grumbacher thalo green. It doesn’t list the pigment on the tube.

I’ll soon have to replace it but I’m not sure if I need the blue shade or the green shade? Or if its something else all together?
        Its not the best picture but I’ve included a shot of some of it on the palette.

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

Gigalot

Phthalo is not expensive pigment. You can try both, PG7 and PG36 shade of it.

yellow_oxide

From what I’ve seen it seems to be a basic rule that if the paint is just labeled as “phthalo green”, or some other spelling, it’s nearly always the PG7 blue shade. Nearly.

There’s a pretty big difference between the blue and yellow shades of it though, so if it looks at all like a cool green then it’s definitely the blue shade. :)

Redneck

From what I’ve seen it seems to be a basic rule that if the paint is just labeled as “phthalo green”, or some other spelling, it’s nearly always the PG7 blue shade. Nearly.

There’s a pretty big difference between the blue and yellow shades of it though, so if it looks at all like a cool green then it’s definitely the blue shade. :)

Thanks. I’m guessing its blue shade then. Its leaning to blue but i didn’t know if they both did some or not.

Pinguino

Before you replace it… Do you really need it? Phthalo Green (either one) is not the best choice for many compositions. If the reason for replacement is that you use it, fine. But if the reason is that the unused paint has spoiled, then that’s a different situation.

Anonymous

those little kit tubes of Grumbacher were blue shade P Green.

Gigalot

In the other hand, PG36 Yellow shade of Phthalo Green is the most gorgeous green color for me.

Redneck

those little kit tubes of Grumbacher were blue shade P Green.

Thank you. that confirms it then.

Before you replace it… Do you really need it? Phthalo Green (either one) is not the best choice for many compositions. If the reason for replacement is that you use it, fine. But if the reason is that the unused paint has spoiled, then that’s a different situation.

I actually just started trying the color and so far I’m liking it but the tubes starting to thicken up.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.