Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing Making a new worktablearea. Want to protect table surface – clearcoat resin?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mixedmess

I made a work table in the corner of my apartment years ago but want to redo it to have more storage, sit lower/more comfortable etc. I am using 3/4″ plywood, that is pretty decent quality/smooth. I then paint it all… the nature of the wood causes the surface texture to get rough and irregular over time. I wanted to clearcoat the surface in some way.

I was thinking of using the Famowood glaze coat resin kit.

ttps://www.homedepot.com/p/FAMOWOOD-1-qt-Glaze-Coat-Clear-Epoxy-Kit-5050080/301826159

I am not doing anything too abusive to the table like hammering; I am just working on mixed media panels (I always work on a tabletop, not vertically). However, paints and varnish sprays and water etc. will get on the top. I was wondering how durable this is. I DO want the tabletop to have a thick protective coat like you might see at a bar or restaurant. This product does achieve that effect.

Does anyone have any experience with it?

I’ve used the Famowood resin and it’s fine for your purpose. You might want to put newspaper or cardboard down when using anything that would stick to the surface. Water won’t hurt it as it’s for bar tops and restaurant tables but paint would probably stick and build up on it.

Oh, that brand seems to take a long time to cure and will yellow to an amberish color.

contumacious

Call some local cabinet shops and ask them if they ever get any used Corian counter top material from remodeling kitchens. Everyone wants real stone these days, so often very nice counters end up in the dump. I picked up a 36×60″ sheet for free and glued it down on top of my old plywood work table. Art materials clean off fairly easily if you don’t let them dry too long. When it gets beat up looking you can sand it down for a brand new surface.

bongo

I DO want the tabletop to have a thick protective coat like you might see at a bar or restaurant. This product does achieve that effect.

I like that look – but wouldn’t use it for a work table – it’s too precious – I would worry about damaging it, instead of doing what I had to do for a project.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                STUDIOBONGO

Dcam
                    mixedmess

PVC panel – interesting. For awhile I had an 1/8″ sheet of luan over a older solidly built formica table with metal legs, I didn’t want to scratch up the laminate surface of the table. The white of that PVC would get trashed pretty soon.

I am not sure resin is “precious” — I used to work in a paint shop and my boss would clearcoat things all the time (but with an air powered sprayer) that seemed like it could yield a great surface but I don’t have access to that anymore.

I definitely need something as most things I’ve made in my house or just old cabinets built in are painted wood and too much dust and texture get on the surface.

What I’m doing is not very violent or messy, I make mixed media work on boards. The desk I’ve currently been using mainly just has acrylic drips on it. This would attach to an unfinished or painted wood surface, but I could peel it or scrape it off of a clearcoat layer of some kind…..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.