Home Forums Explore Subjects Aviation Art The Mighty Mo

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    falcon012

The USS Missouri is an Iowa Class battleship. She fought in the battles of Iwo Jima and Okinawa as well as shelling the Japanese home island. The Japanese delegation famously signed the terms of unconditional surrender on her decks on September 2, 1945 while the ship was anchored in Tokyo Bay. The ship also fought during the Korean War and Desert Storm. It was steadily modified through the years and was finally struck from the Naval Vessel Register in 1995. USS Missouri survives today as a memorial in Pearl Harbor next to the famous Arizona Memorial. This print shows Missouri during a stop at Guam on her way home after the Japanese surrender.

This was a commissioned piece which was initially rejected. At that point I felt the cliemt could not be pleased so I pulled out of the project. I went on to use the background to create a scene with a completely different feeling. A beautiful Boeing 314 Clipper. After thinking about it the client decided to go with the concept after all so I completed the original USS Missouri piece.

These are both 2D digital paintings. I thought it a good example which shows the versatility of digital work and how quickly one can switch between concepts using the same elements.

Gray539

Beautiful work, Mark. I’ve toured the Iowa a couple of times. We will never see ships like these again.

Wonderful paintings Mark.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

falcon012

Thanks Gray and Doug.

Trumper

Terrific stuff again :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.