Home Forums Explore Subjects Miniature Art May Monthly Challenge and Chat, 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • Author

Come join us! You can use the following photos to create a piece of art and then share it with us in this thread or simply come in and have a chat, comment on the artworks, show us what you’re up to or share your own snapshots.

The guidelines for the Challenge are simple.

All works must be within the size guidelines of the Miniature forum.

You can use any medium with the exception of photography. Digital art is welcome.

All schools of painting from abstract to realism are welcome.

You may crop, edit, combine or alter the images in any way you’d like.
    Please tell us the medium, size and support when you share your images.

Artists of all levels of expertise are encouraged and welcome.

Thank you to all the members who contribute to the Reference Image Library (RIL)[/URL].

Be creative and enjoy!

If you would like to host a month, please pm Virginia (vmrs).

———————————————

I kept coming across photos that are all great references but maybe dont’ have the best lighting or there may need to be adjustments in tones or chroma or such.

I think it’s a useful skill to be able to look at something and change the lighting, the spacing, the clarity or the colors even.

So the challenge this month is take a photo and change it up and make it better. Have fun. :)

If you have any photos you’d like to add any, please do.

dianthus by PatrickHedges

dianthus by PatrickHedges

Lots of potential in this one.
    azaleas wisteria tree by Queen Bee

leafy sea horse by mclcd

Another of the leafy sea horse alone by mclcd

Path with trees and plants by Mr.Sunflower

Old school house by oldrockchick

and Mr. Bill by lisilk

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
    Find me on Instagram
    Find me on Facebook

I have to add this pelican. We had a levee breach and the Mississippi River is doing her thing in the downtown area. There’s people all over, rescuing people, moving animals, filling sandbags and the reporters are all over too of course. The pelicans have taken over downtown, they are everywhere. Every shot you see, there’s at least a dozen pelicans being nosy in the background. Once I noticed them, I couldn’t stop noticing them and even though it’s all very serious, they’re making me laugh. We have the white pelicans here, they’re a good bit bigger than the brown ones.

White pelican reflection by Ex-fisherman

Find me on Instagram
    Find me on Facebook

Good ones! Those pelicans are enjoying the mess, sort of like gulls and pigeons just watching and being entertainment.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Here’s a crop of the peli sketched w/ Micron 01 pen then watercolor added, about 5.5×7.5 done today.

Kay

What a great crop. Love how you did the water. It looks wonderful.

Find me on Instagram
    Find me on Facebook

Lovely crop, Kay!

Christel

thanks Virginia and Christel! It was a fun one.

Kay

I haven’t managed to do anything yet. We had a big yard sale. Funny how much it takes to sell your old stuff. It was fun though as we saw and talked to a lot of people. We actually made a good bit of money to boot which was really nice.

The big hit of the day though was my bird feeder, we had a warm burst of air form the south and it sent all the migrating birds this way. At my feeder were orioles and grosbeaks and white throated sparrows. There were every kind of woodpecker and the gold and purple finches. It was amazing.

My favorite the catbird was back, they’re mimics and last year it kept mimicking my self phone ringer. I had to change my ringer because it was driving me nuts. :lol:

Feel free to use the following photos as references if you want

The rose breasted grosbeak

The Baltimore oriole

Find me on Instagram
    Find me on Facebook

Virginia, enjoyed your story of the bird feeder and all the different kinds of birds that visited. I must check out the catbird and the sounds it makes.
    Kay, love how you did the pelican.

LIL

floblue

Love the birds. Thanks for the inspirational photos. I need warm weather and some inspiration to get me motivated.

artastic

love the white pelicans, they are here too, they grace our lake in the city every summer

C&C always welcome -Bonnie-
            http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/04-Jan-2017/104250-banner.jpg

“It’s possible to have an awesome life, but it’s up to ourselves to do it.” Weekly Drawing Event, Want to host a WDE? Hosts needed starting now.

Virginia – thanks for sharing those bird photos with us. Our country’s old type of telephone had a certain ring tone to it. My late mom phoned me once on my cellphone when a nearby bokmakierie(bird) let out this typical old phone ring tone. Mom thought it was another telephone she hadn’t been told of:lol:
            My version of the pelican, 4.5×7 in wc

Christel

hibiscus17

Going to attempt the Oriole. Wife and I were captivated by its flaming colouring.

Interesting choices for this month’s challenge. If I have time, will also do the old man portrait in coloured pencil because I really do enjoy people’s faces and their expressiveness.

In Brizzy pelicans tend to be regarded as pests so I understand because they are so common and so everywhere like sacred ibises. They particularly crowd perches on the bridge lighting and present a somewhat intimidating presence as one is plodding along that long stretch of the causeway in one’s slow mobile or Beemer. Scene seems reminiscent of that Hitchcock movie, The Birds, just before the dive-bombing. Lol.

Anyway, great start there, Kay and Christel. Hopefully your efforts will spur me on to contribute with the Oriole soon. Regards.

Lawrence

Nice bird photos!

Your take on the pelican is cool, Christel!

Kay

Christel, your pelican looks great, I like the red touches. I had to look up the bokmakierie, what a pretty bird! The noise it makes sounds like the ringer I have now.

Lawrence, that’s funny about the pelicans, they are very skittish here. if there was a lot of them it would be intimidating, the white ones are pretty big. They’re so prehistoric looking too.

Bonnie, I didn’t realize they went that far up north. That’s so cool. We didn’t have them in Ontario.

Lil, the catbird at this time of year, sings all day and half the night too. The lady catbirds must like it but it’s so strange to hear a bird singing in the middle of the night.

Floblue, did you see the flooding we’re having here? It’s crazy, my neighbor went carp fishing in the corn fields. There is water everywhere.

I saw quite a few hummingbirds today. There’s a bunny that has decided to live under my porch. He was sleeping in the sun in my garden and Sammy was sound asleep about twenty feet from him.

Find me on Instagram
                Find me on Facebook

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.