Home Forums Explore Subjects Classical Art How did the old masters paint babies?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    jessw

Just a question that I have been wondering for some time now.

The old masters painted from live models. I can’t image how it would be possible to paint a baby or young child, since they have trouble sitting still for a few minutes, let alone the hours that would be necessary to paint them. How did the old masters do it? :confused: Also how would it be possible to paint a person in a position that would be impossible to hold for very long, such as with the arms extended outwards or above the head?

I would love to know the answers to these questions. I thought that perhaps those that are familiar with classical art would know how this was done.

C & C always appreciated!

OK

Depends which old masters we are talking about but presuming that it’s the Classical period of the High Renascence it’s a mistake to assume that they only worked from the live model..
            To illustrate the point I’ve chosen two drawing studies by Raphael.

The first of a Horse and Solders fighting.

There is no way he could get the horse to pose like that with the solders, from long study of anatomy and drawing Rachael could draw a horse or men in any position he wanted.

The next is a study for the Virgin and Child.

Again it’s from Raphael’s head.
            The lower of the two larger studies is the same pose as the Michelangelo statue of the Holy Family but in reverse.
            He did not stand in front of the statue and draw it backwards but drew it from memory along with the other studies as he worked out the composition for the paining known as the Bridgewater Madonna.

:wave: Dave.
            PS Here is the painting The Virgin and Child (‘The Bridgewater Madonna’)

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
            — Allen Ginsberg
            Are you ready for a Journey?
            PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

jessw

Thank you very much for your response Journeyman. I also had in mind the work of such artists as William Bougeureau.

OK

Bouguereau was part of the Academy in nineteenth-century France and although different to the Renaissance some of the training was similar.
                    For myself I don’t find Neo-Classicism or Romanticism very appealing so haven’t studied Bouguereau in any depth.

His work was heavily influenced by photography, he had a large collection of photographs from which he developed the quality of light in his paintings.
                    But Because of his academic training he didn’t paint directly from photographs very often.
                    Like Rachael he would usually start with a quick drawing sometimes from a live model but often just from his head.
                    Then work things out further with oil sketches and studies of all the different elements in the composition he wanted for the finished painting.
                    Only when he was happy with all that would he make the drawing for the final painting.

Here are a series of drawings leading up to Nymphs et Satyrs.

Rachael and Bouguereau could draw anything from imagination which is just as well as it’s very difficult to find Satyrs who are willing to pose.

:wave: Dave.

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
                    — Allen Ginsberg
                    PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

jessw

Thanks again for your comments Journeyman. Are you saying that some of the figures Bougeureau painted were painted entirely from imagination? It’s one thing to make a simple drawing from ones head, but to paint a figure in remarkable detail, sculpting the form with color, lights and darks with no reference is another. Do you think Bougeureau did this? Or perhaps it was a combination of live models and imagination. I’m sure that having a very thorough knowledge of anatomy as well as the way light hits various forms would greatly aid an artist in creating a believable figure with little or no use of a live model. What do you think?

Thank you again very much for your comments thus far, Journeyman. I am a young artist learning and I have found your comments very helpful.

OK

Glad you found what I had to say useful, perhaps we should look at Leonardo Idealisation to further our understanding but if you really want to understand the old masters you must do your own research.
                            Just to get you started here are some Leonardo da Vinci portraits.

You will notice how simular they are. The similarity is not because he is using the same model but because he is idealising their beauty.
                            The Italian Renaissance was all about emulating the Classical (Ancient Greek) philosophe and art. To understand the Renaissance you need to read the Ancient Greek Philosophers in particular Plato and his thought on the Ideal.
                            In the same way if you want to understand Post Modern Art you have to read the Post Modern Philosophers such as Jean-Francois Lyotard.

Part of the Academy training that Bougeureau would have gone through was to draw the Antiques, these were plaster casts of Classical Sculptures. As well as learning to draw accurately and to see tone in the casts the idea was to absorbs and understand the Classical Ideal as we see with Leonardo.
                            Eventually you would be allowed into the life room. Here the student was not expected to slavishly copy the model but to interpret what he saw.
                            So what you see in Bougeureau is Neo-Classicism, he is interpreting beauty to make a statement, he does not need a model to do that.

Enjoy your research, :wave: Dave.

— Allen Ginsberg

jessw

Thank you again Journeyman for your response. I will surely be doing more research on the subject. Thank you for your insights and the images you included. Very helpful.

WFMartin

Re: How did the old masters paint babies?

Well, quite often……..very badly! Not all (of course), but many paintings of babies by the old masters look more like 40 year old midgets than real infants.:lol: I don’t believe that they worked from live models for the painting of infants, because if they had, their paintings would probably look much better.

For example, some of the infants depicted in Leonardo’s “Madonna” paintings were atrocious, in terms of appearing as realistic-appearing infants. I wold like to paint portraits like Leonardo, but I his renditions of infants are not something for which I strive.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                                    https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

jessw

Thanks for your input WFMartin! I suppose that is why I am interested in Bougeureaus work, since the babies he painted look very believable (not creepy).

WFMartin

Thanks for your input WFMartin! I suppose that is why I am interested in Bougeureaus work, since the babies he painted look very believable (not creepy).

Yeah……You are certainly correct on that!:) :)

I would love to have a Bougeureau painting in my hands for just about 1/2 an hour, or so. Just to get a “take” on his colors.

When I was a color separator for a lithographer, I once had an authentic, Rubens in my hands for about a week, but sadly, it was before I had even begun painting. I actually found the painting that I had handled in an art book that I own. The Rubens was “Judgement of Paris”–one of them. I understand that there were 6 or 7 of those paintings with the same title, and some were attributed to his students.

No babies in this one–only his voluptuous women.:lol:

brianvds

Well, quite often……..very badly! Not all (of course), but many paintings of babies by the old masters look more like 40 year old midgets than real infants.:lol:

WFMartin

Hahahahahahaha…..GOOD ONE! In fact, EXCELLENT, brianvids!

jessw

Thank you WFMartin and brianvds for posting your thoughts!

Interesting to hear your experience WFMartin. I wish I had seen some masterpieces in person myself. I don’t think I’ve seen any paintings by the old masters in person. I’ve only seen digital copies. I would love to see some of the works of the old masters in person someday.

lisaastrup

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/26-Mar-2016/142294-enhanced-15692-1418127385-8.jpg[/IMG]

I’m so thanksful that no of my grands looked liked this, I would be very scared.
                                                            :smug:

Lisa Astrup

http://www.bricksite.com/astrupart
                                                            c & c welcome anytime

thevaliantx
                                                              Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.