Home Forums Explore Subjects Abstract and Contemporary Art high contrast minimalism x’s 2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    La_

both are 16×20 oils and both were created due to gobs of leftover reds
        the strips of color are knifed and the backgrounds softly brushed with plenty of white. the horizons are straight to the world tho the pic(s) angle may be deceiving of that.

boring or understated brilliance?
        i dunno, am just using up paint before it dries out

la

john

I think they work. But I’m a sucker for minimalist abstract landscapes.

I like the first one, how it’s sort of a horizon but sort of it’s own thing.

cmallav

My fav is the second one.

La_

thanks john, chaya

i’m always torn when i try this super minimalist stuff – the urge to fill the canvas is strong.
                    leaving them tho, i’ve never shown such works and who knows, maybe they’ll fly.
                    and if not, ha, tons of room for additions

la

john

I think minimalist landscapes would sell. One can see them all over the place; on TV, in the dentist office, the hotel. In modern homes in the Hamptons. They are easy to churn out so the price could be low, which is always popular. But knowing how you paint for how long could you do them before wanting to get a lobotomy. :)

So brilliant! Love these! As you said it would be difficult to leave the unpainted part alone.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Greggo

The second one appeals to me more for the simple reason that (in the photo) the lower one has ‘something’ going on in the sky.
                            The first one seems too plain in the sky area, almost seems unfinished. But it may be that the sky area just looks that way on my monitor

The colors are spot-on, love the minimalismness

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/110200-Tatrabanner.jpg [FONT=Times New Roman] Click here for>> WC FAQS >

La_

john, that fix is to Always have another canvas on hand to transfer the urges to.

thanks kay

to be honest, greg, it’s not your monitor – there is nothing yet in the sky of the first, other than a Very pale mauve fog above the color – the plan is ‘white’, maybe SuperDuper pale blue, probably with some texture for interest (maybe not), but i cannot touch it until the knifed bits are dry.

an entertaining bit of them is to study/stare at the strip of bold colors and then wander the white spaces … so many colors appear in that nothingness – as artists, y’all know that trick, right.

la

Eraethil

They are darn cool La!

The second is beautiful and more successful I think, because there is more indication of the landscape. It doesn’t leave me wondering what it is. I suspect you could have gotten away with even less in the top 3/4.

The first is also intriguing, partly because it could be an object. But less immediately familiar. The right person will love it though.

You gonna do more?

[FONT=Century Gothic] [FONT=Century Gothic]Comments and critique actively sought and much appreciated! [/SIZE][/B]
                                    Rick. . . [/COLOR][/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. .[/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic] . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR][FONT=Century Gothic]. . . [/COLOR]pigment storm fine art[FONT=Century Gothic] . . . watch the paint flow![/SIZE]

La_

thanks, rick, the 2nd is more organic; the 1st, almost amoebic abstract ;)
                                        always more, but i think for this specific theme i’ll go smaller to play with it so i don’t have to worry the guilt of ‘wasting’ so much space whilst playing with color combos.

la

_____________________________________________
                                        When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know Peace

steve.sens

i am digging the second piece. I think the gentle open area with a subtle blue contrasts with the complex orange in the denser area. Color contrasts seem to help the subtle intelligent design of a piece. They may be impulsive, or utilitarian in that you were using up extra paint, but the color fields still have a direction or purpose. I myself have strayed into the super controlled media of silverpoint, and did some abstracts again this week. The process of abstract really helps open up the creative channels. Nice job, and inspiring!

Artchrispy

The first would work better if you maybe cropped out most of the sky.The loose handling is nice and lets the viewer fill in the blanks. The second is perfect. Great atmosphere.

Christophervasil.com

La_

thanks steve and chris, it’s definitely good to sometimes work tight… and loose. i’ll get some atmosphere into that blank sky today, am pretty sure it’s dry enough to continue.

la

_____________________________________________
                                                    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know Peace

jimwhalen

I like them both but prefer the first one. I would like to see a sky in the first one similar to the sky in the second piece.

The essential thing, for me, is to offer a visual expression of those things in our experience that words cannot express www.jim-whalen.artistwebsites.com
                                                        Colorado_Ed

I love that second one.

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

My blog: http://ejsherman.blogspot.com/
                                                            Instagram: edward_sherman

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.