WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2012, 07:01 PM

Mounting cotton paper oil paintings on cardboard/wood planks?

Hi!

I have several oil paintings on cotton papers that I would like to mount on acid free cardboards and/or thin wood planks, however I don't exactly know how to go about this...the glue, particularly is my main concern! The paintings are donde on either Canson or Mi-teintes, which has been coated with a thick layer of gesso and then the oil painting. I would like the mounting to be temporary or repositionable...but I'm not sure a spray-mount type glue will hold or if it will damage the painting itself....does anyone have any suggestions or techniques that you could share??

(I need to mount the paintings for a temporary exposition)

Thanks in advance!!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Edwardsburg, MI

Hails from United States
Re: Mounting cotton paper oil paintings on cardboard/wood planks?

Do not use spray glues. They are not in any way archival and will stain the paper.

What size are they? You say they are heavily gessoed... how heavy are the pieces themselves?

My first thought would be to float the paintings by hinging the pieces to Cor-X board. Cor-X board is the fluted plastic board used for temporary outdoor signage and is available at any sign shop or in small sizes (20X30ish) at most hardware stores of Michael's, Hobby Lobby or the likes.

Here is an article about how to hinge:

http://frametek.com/HTML/Articles/Float_Mounting.html

It looks more difficult than it really is but might take a bit of practice. If you use wheat paste they would be removable.

The reason I suggest Cor-X board is that it is inexpensive, somewhat archival and readily available. Also if you run the flutes vertically it should hold the weight of the paintings without bowing. If the paintings are large and heavy, then consider using two sheets of Cor-X cross fluted for additional strength.

Foam Core will bow unless they are small paintings even during a short exposition.

For hanging, I'd get some of these:

http://www.govart.com/hardware_hangers_foam_B.html

Any mounting of the paper would be extremely difficult to remove and that is why I'm suggesting float mounting the paintings.

Be aware that since these paintings are on paper they would eventually require glass or plexi over them with a frame for long term display.

Last edited by DaveMak : 06-13-2012 at 01:16 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2012, 08:37 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Golden Paints has a wonderful, short instructional video on adhering paper to supports on their website, in the video library. Here's a link: http://www.goldenpaints.com/VIDEO/library.php

Jamie
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2012, 12:04 PM
Edwardsburg, MI

Hails from United States

Golden has some great informational videos on that link, but realize the one about mounting watercolor (or any) paper on a panel is non-reversible. The OP is seeking a method that is reversible.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2012, 11:54 PM
Memphis, TN

Hails from United States

If it is temporary, something as simple as painter's blue masking tape could work. Just tear off short pieces and turn the tape into little loops with the sticky side out, position it in several locations on the back of your artwork, then place the art on whatever the backing is you are using, and press down the locations where the tape is. I've been hanging my labels at art shows this way, and that way I don't hurt the wall surface. Don't try regular masking tape, it could tear the paper and leave residue unless it's drafting tape.

http://matthewleestudio.com