Home Forums Explore Subjects Portraiture outside boy…cc enjoyed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    maryinasia

besides softening and evening out his jawline, what else?

kentiessen

A great subject and the color choices support the image! What medium and size is it?

I would suggest softening a lot, leaving edges mainly near him. The hands could use a bit of refinement in drawing (his right line of knuckles, and his left index). This is important as the hands tell the story.

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
            Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

maryinasia

Thanks for those suggestions!

I like what Ken has suggested, Mary. The arm on out left looks a bit small- I know that this is the angle, but it could be slightly larger.
                With these few adjustments, it will take this to a new level!

Edges are everything that make a difference between an ok painting and a great painting!

bethany
                moderator in figures & portraits blogs: artbybethany life-presence
                website www.bethanyart.com
                My inspiration is art... because without art, we would just be stuck with reality. ~Daniel R. Lynch

maryinasia

thanks! I made some adjustments before reading this…will do more later

carolkay

I like Ken and Bethany’s suggestions on edges. Mainly you wld want the harder edges to be near the COI . As our eye looks out into space we don’t see everything in clarity . Our eye centers on the main area we are looking at.

All of yr work has so much soul to me . I feel the passion when I’m view it!
                        You have much going for you ❤️

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Carol Sometime's failure is the opposite to success~ but sometimes failure can be the pathway to success
                        MDerby

Very nice. I like it a lot.

The craft is an art in itself. http://www.mikederby.com

maryinasia

thanks! edges…

Mary,
                                I know nothing about painting, but when I first looked at your painting, Mary, I was immediately glued to his beautiful eyes.

Carol is right, there is so much passion and feeling in your paintings . This is an are outstanding portrait. I love you stroke style.

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
                                Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

jonc50

Nice portrait.

OziAfricana

This is a beautiful portrait of a lovely child. His hands tell a story, also his eyes. I wonder what he is holding in his hands. Is it the locket of his necklace or something else?

Is this an oil painting?

Nice work.

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home
                                        My Blog

Instagram

Your portraits make me want to know the story of the subjects. Makes me glad to see this. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

maryinasia

thank you for these encouraging words!

I tried to make the arms and hands read better

fun trying to soften edges with acrylics…

maryinasia

Do the improvements help?

AllisonR

This could be really strong – the child’s gaze is powerful and the composition is there. The hood is well painted. His skin looks gritty, dirty – you need much smoother and softer gradations of color and temperature in the flesh.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
                                                  Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.