Home Forums Explore Media Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux Decorative Shopping Bag Vase

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    jimwhalen

This is a decorative craft. Not sure if this is the right forum for it or not.

I am coating plain brown miniature shopping bags with several coats of acrylic medium and then doing a final coat of decorative flow acrylic paint. Then the bag is mounted on a porcelain subway tile. The end result is a one of a kind decorative flower vase.

The bag is heavily coated and will not tear and is probably waterproof, but I am using a glass insert for the water and flowers. The pictures should make it clear.

Comments and critiques please.

The essential thing, for me, is to offer a visual expression of those things in our experience that words cannot express www.jim-whalen.artistwebsites.com
        jimwhalen

151 views and no comments. I was hoping to get some feedback about this/these.

The essential thing, for me, is to offer a visual expression of those things in our experience that words cannot express www.jim-whalen.artistwebsites.com
            La_

super quiet here so i don’t check in very often

it’s a pretty ‘vase’ – could i trust it on a teak table? it’s that question alone that would deter me from purchasing or constructing one.

and i have a pretty vast array of clear glass vases that i enjoy very much.

but yeah, it is pretty

la

jimwhalen

Thanks, so much for your comments, La. You CAN trust it on a teak table because it comes with a glass insert (as seen in the picture). Yes, even though it should be waterproof, I am using a glass insert for the waters and flowers.
                    I currently have this one for sale on eBay…no action yet.

La_

ah, i inferred that you were personally using the insert, not including it with the ‘package’ sale. knowing that, it’s become basically a two for one sale – live flowers in the vase, dried flowers in the ‘bag’.

la

Gerardo G.

I think it’s really original. I like the patterns on the surface. Do you think it’ll last for a good amount of time? I personally wished the glass insert was as thin and long as the shopping bag, that would lead to arranging the flowers in a non-traditional manner. I also wished the handles were a bit more visible, somehow, with the flower arrangement. It isn’t a shoping bag if it doesn’t have handles ;).

Love the concept and the use of the tile as a base :D.

KarenESP
                                jimwhalen

Thanks for your feedback, Gerardo and Karen.

Gerardo, the handles can be more visible, depending on how you arrange the flowers.

I love it and if I saw it for sale, I would probably buy it. Very creative!!!

Mike L

Teak is a hardwood that was used for decking on large steel ships (battleships, cruisers, etc.) that used bagged gun powder as propellant in their large caliber guns. The reason was to reduce the risk of metal/metal sparks when transferring powder to the magazines or ashore during a refit. Exposed to the open sea and sea air for decades with little damage. A spill or even a slow leak from a flower vase would probably do no damage.

And think of the oak used to build the hulls of sailing ships or the pine so often used as their masts. Wood isn’t as fragile, vis a vis water, as we sometimes think, and water damage is almost always caused by long term exposure rather than a one time spill or leakage.

That said, a leaky vase can create clean-up nightmares on any furniture.

And the the idea of paper bags impregnated with acrylic paint and used as vases is a wonderful way to recycle. I think I’d coat the inside of the bag, too, just to be safe.

Practice religion freely and freedom religiously.

ricopenthouse

I love it! Do you sell them?

ArnoldDonner

Wow, that is such a unique and creative craft! I’ve personally dabbled in various crafts, and I find it fascinating how you’re using plain brown miniature shopping bags as a base and transforming them into a one-of-a-kind flower vase. Also, have you considered buying Paper bags online? You could create more such vases and spend less on materials. Keep up the great work, and I hope to see even more art pieces

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.