Home Forums Explore Media Drawing and Sketching The Classroom Basic 101: Class 22 – Drawing Animals

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 353 total)
  • Author
    JayD
        Basic 101: Class 22

Drawing Animals

Here at Basics 101, we are earnestly trying to cover every drawing subject possible. Someone asked me when this class was going to end and I said that the estimate projection and goal was to reach at least 40 classes. This class has moved faster then I could have imagined and congratulations for its success must go exclusively to you the participants. I have to say that I have been overwhelmed by your enthusiasm and your contributions have been amazing.

OK. Let’s talk about animals. You’ve seen them. You may have one. I have owned 8 cats, two birds, a turtle, a plethora of fish and a Shetland sheepdog. I have to say that the last one has been my favorite because he has turned into a real pal. Animals exist with us and we randomly invade each other’s space. They are furry, furless, slimy, rough, spiky and hairy (read pig for example). They are small, big, bigger, biggest (read elephant for example). Who wouldn’t love to pet a tiger or a bear. We love them but we know that they would, nothing personal, eat us or at the very least severely nip or rip us. We run from them, run to them, love them and eat them. It is a complex relationship that we have with the animal kingdom—a love/food chain, I guess.

You should not have a problem picking out an animal to draw. Did you know that there are over 12,000 plus varieties of animal in the world? I highly recommend that you grab your sketchbook and spend some quality time on your farm or with you pet or go to the zoo and check out the animals that are there. There are many many opportunities to sketch animals. Like children, they are hardly accommodating when it comes to poses so if you want to work from photographs that is certainly ok. But first, let’s simplify the animal body:

Animal Facts:

1. Without legs, neck and head, the bodies of most animals are twice as long as they are high.

2. You can divide an animal in to three basic parts: Forequarters, Belly, and Rear Quarters.

3. Carefully observe the stance of an animal—for example, Bears are pigeon toed. When a dog rids itself o waste its hind feet will splay outward.

4. Hoofed animals tend to be knock-kneed

5. You can also divide the animal head into three parts: The muzzle, the long part of the nose, and the base of the skull.

6. Animals are perfectly symmetrical. Use a centerline when constructing your animal. The head divides perfectly in the middle.

7. When drawing ears you can simplify the process by drawing an oval for the base of the ears.

8. For most animals, the eyes and the ears line up perfectly.

9. When drawing an animal in perspective—draw a cube in perspective, then draw the animal in the cube.

10. Note that animal legs are extremely pliable. They can double up and stretch out.

11. When an animal leaps, the rib cage will elongate into a stretched position.

12. Always break the animal down into basic shapes and then flesh out the rest of the animal. For example, A sphere for the head and two spheres for the body.

Below, I have several demonstrations of animal drawings. You may recognize all or some of them. I hope that these help.

Bailey 1: I think Shelties are beautiful but then again I love dogs– period. I have worked the eyes and using a dull pencil, I have combined the direction of fur with layers of graphite glazed over the fur in small circular motions to help add texture where needed and to bring in a “approximation” of Baileys actual values.

catmandolin.deviantart.com

JayD

Bailey 2. This a portrait of my dog, Bailey. When this one is finished it will be used as an iron on transfer for a shirt which I will be presenting to my daughter I have to fix one of the eyes and finishing the fur markings and the right ear.

Paper: Strathmore Watercolor 140lb
            Pencil Alvin 0.3mm mechanical pencil
            Dog Model: Shetland Sheep Dog

JayD

Cat1: this is on Stonehenge using 2B PhD Mechanical pencil. It’s a C.A.T.
                Right now I am laying in the tracks of the fur and establishing basic tones creating a map.
                I have added the whiskers to help me in keeping the proportions correct and have continued to work on the fur.

JayD

The Duck: I did this duck sketch in the weekly thread and I had several request to color him, which I had mentioned that I might do. I wanted to maintain the sketch look and not veer into a full cp drawing.

JayD

Cat2: This is a cat that I found in the reference library–it is a work in progress–guidelines have to be removed and values have to be defined and redefined. I am trying to build this layer by layer so it may take some time to complete. The first 6 layers have been sprayed with three coats of fixitive. The background was used with a dull pencil so that the valleys would stand out in the paper. This is done with Monolith graphite pencils (or sticks or something like that) on Strathmore watercolor (140 pound).

JayD

Class Assignment:

Draw an animal—any animal—start with a sketch, post it and then develop it into a finished piece. Remember that animals are all creatures fish and fowl, reptile and mammal. Any animal you want. Above all, have fun!

Reference Links:

If you have not been to the learning center lately you will not have noticed the scurry of activity . Each Guide and Moderator are assembling links dating back on the WC several years. It will be easier for you to locate drawing related links now by subject. Here is my contribution—What else: Animal Links!!!!

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280185

Happy Drawing!!!

Cathie Jones
                                Judi1957

And only 12,000 to choose from! :D

Being a dog lover-Baily is wonderful JayD-but the duck is adorable as well! :clap: :clap:

Any medium as usual?

[FONT="Impact"][FONT="Arial Black"]Judi

Anita Murphy

NO NO NO NO NO – did you do this just to torment me JayD?
                                        But I will be big and brave and have a go.

Spain is seriously hot – in the nineties, great wine, food and beer! :)
                                        Have some time today so I will have a go at drawing my sister’s animals.
                                        Hi to all of you!

JayD

Hi present–oh, that’s right you are hanging in Spain on Vacation. It’s hot muggy and tropical here in North Carolina==so prehistorically tropical that I had to set dinosaur traps in my kitchen–they are partial to cheese, pretzels and a bowl of beer. What are animials but people with heart and a profound lack of dignity. If you can draw do those wonderful drawings of people then you can do an animal. Dont forget that animals are from sea, air and land–so any that you feel comfortable with.

Judi–yes–any medium but make sure there is a working drawing. :)

Mary Woodul

YIPEEEEEEE . . . :clap: :clap: :clap:

I’ll second that, this is going to be great fun. JayD, as always your writings are a pleasure to read. Someday I’ll tell you about our howler monkey that lived with us for a year. The hard part in this class is going to be which of so many we like, to choose. :D

Anita, how I envy you. Send me some “tapas”. Enjoy your stay there. :wave:

Hi Judi and CJ! :wave:

cmwynn

I painted a pelican for the Weekend Drawing Event this weekend that I claim looks like an elderly dachshund – do I have a place to improve or what? But I think I am most attracted to big cats, of all kinds.
                                                    Anita – surely you can find a bull there in Spain? That would be appropriate.

Criticisms and comments always welcome.
                                                    Connie

JayD

Hey, connie you can post your “dachsacan” here if you want. Would love to see it!

so prehistorically tropical that I had to set dinosaur traps in my kitchen–they are partial to cheese, pretzels and a bowl of beer. What are animials but people with heart and a profound lack of dignity.

Thanks for the laugh JayD!

This lesson has me excited and bummed at the same time! I have been wanting to draw animals and they have been on my list of subjects to try for some months – therefore excitement. The bummed part comes because this week I am going to be busy packing for vacation and next week I will be at the shore away from computer access. (Okay, so I’m not bummed about being at the shore, sitting on the beach, watching the ocean. It’s my favorite place to be! But I will miss you guys and your talented drawings.)

I doubt I will have much time for drawing this week, especially because over the weekend I met with my house commission customers and they approved my house drawing, ( :clap: ) so all art time should be put toward painting if I am going to meet my deadline of July 31st. I hope to have time to draw while on vacation but I won’t be able to post until I am back.

Anyway, I’ll do my best. And I agree with Mary…

The hard part in this class is going to be which of so many we like, to choose.

Hi Mary! :wave: Hope the wedding plans are going smoothly. Can’t wait to hear all about it!

Hi Anita! Sounds like you are enjoying Spain. Are you sketching at all? Remember how much we all loved CJ’s Tahiti sketches…and I’ve never been to Spain. (hint, hint) :D

Hi CJ! Did you “YIPEEEE!” mean “Yipee, I love drawing animals!” or “Yipeee, I’m done subbing!”? :evil:

Looks like another great class JayD. I love the drawings of Bailey. You have caught the look of faithful companion. And that duck reminds me of the little ducklings I saw when I was sketching. It is so fluffy I want to touch it. :)

Well, I better go unpack and start doing some laundry so I have clean clothes to repack for Saturday. I’d much rather be drawing or painting!!

Hi Connie! :wave:

You snuck in while I was typing. I find it hard to believe that your pelican looks like anything other than a pelican. You forget, we’ve seen your work. :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 353 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.