Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics The Information Kiosk Demo #2 graphite grissaile

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Dcam

This is the final result after tweaking, cropping, and glazing my son’s portrait: A long labor of love. The pink in the hair and face is a little surrealism thrown in.

A couple of you wanted to see a demo of how I glaze over a graphite grisaille under painting, and I’m thinking ….wait a minute a while back, I did a whole demo on this already. Here it is with more text info:
        I like to use Bristol board (smooth) paper mounted on board for the pencil. For this portrait I used Masonite with several coats of sanded gesso very smooth. I then sprayed the surface with Krylon Matte finish. After it dried I started to make gazes using many brands of acrylics including free flow and fluid acrylics.

My glaze was mixed with Golden acrylic glazing liquid (satin). Many layers were applied and near the end I applied some thicker built-up areas.

Why the pencil? for the grisaille? I love pencil and I love to experiment.

I hope this helps: :) Thanks for your interest, DEREK

jocko500

cool work

ideas is like the stars in Heaven, just grab one and hang on and if it do not work out grab another one:)

Guide

I remember the painting, but, not the under painting. Thanks for reposting it helps clarify the system.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
                The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
                "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
                "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

Very nice picture. I like the coloration of the hair and face it pulls focus to that area.

bluefish

WOW Derek, this is outstanding…..I can almost hear the tunes he’s listening to….wonderful job and thank you for all the technical information on the way it was done….

had an ‘art meeting’ last night and talked to a number of pros but no one had ever heard of this graphite/glaze technique…..this work should go into some NYC competitions in the mixed media format….it’s truly breath taking….:thumbsup:

‘blue….:wave:

cem

Thanks for the info! I remember this painting. Nice to know your process. He is a handsome young man!

Cindy
                        "Earth laughs in flowers."
                        ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Thanks so much Derek. If I could draw that well, I would be loathe to cover it with paint. Beautiful work.

Chammi
                        My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades

gaykir

Thank for doing this WIP! And such a handsome young man! Great job!

http://gaylekirbyart.blogspot.com/

lrv

You’re a amazing artist Derek…..thanks for sharing.

Larry

Dcam
                                    Dcam
                                        lazyrider

Thanks for sharing so much of the technique Derek. Do you use the same method on all your work?
                                            I’ve seen your other work in the last year or so, and it’s hard to imagine the effort that you must put in. Not to mention your use of colour.

phil

purplepansey

Wow! I’d love to be looking over your shoulder when you do these final glazing steps because the results are marvelous.

Luv, Purple[/B][/COLOR]

susme48

I remember the portrait of your son as well….and it’s just as amazing now! Such a labor of love! Thanks for showing us “how” you do it! :)

[FONT="Impact"]♥ [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]§usan [FONT="Impact"]♫

"Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting with the gift of speech." ~Simonides
                                                    "Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
                                                    [/CENTER]
                                                    Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy

Great demo Derek, and the painting has turned out really well.

"None are so old as those who have outlived enthusiasm." - Henry David Thoreau

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.