Home Forums Explore Subjects Animal and Wildlife Subjects Highland pony in ceramic

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    equinespirit

My first post here for a long while.
        This is the first ceramic horse Ive done, I have 4 more of different breeds waiting to be glazed and fired.
        Highland pony, made in grogged earthenware clay, bisque fired then glazed and refired.
        Its been a long learning process for me as Ive had to learn how to make the moulds to replicate too.
        8,1/2″ wide, gloss finish.

fedetony

That is neat!!! I suppose you paint it and then use a lack?

Federico Garcia
            My Blog
            C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Wow! Lovely!!

Christel

A beautiful, sensitive head. You’ve got such good detail. Very well done. I look forward to seeing the other breeds. Is one an Arab?

Penny
            I live in Wiltshire, England
            “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

equinespirit

Thanks for the lovely comments :)

This one is glazed with ceramic glazes, they were a nightmare to use actually as they look totally different when applied to when fired and I had to do a lot of mixing so it was mostly guesswork and luck lol
                Ive just ordered some different ones that are supposed to stay the same.

Schuee, thank you, yes one is an arab, an old fashioned arab without the extreme dished face, one is spanish then a welsh and a TB.

Im also just finishing my first 3D bust, that one is spanish too.

Turned out beautifully Sarah.

Chammi
                My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades

ronsu18

you are truly a versatile talent, that is wonderful! how does clay work, do you make one first and then make a mold with it?

C&C welcome

equinespirit

Thank you so much Chammi and Ronsu!

Yes I make the original from the grogged earthenware, you could use lots of things I suppose but Im funny about what I like the feel of and that was it for me lol.
                        Then I fired it so it was robust enough to withstand a mould being made from it, I know some people just seal them unfired but I was worried it would become damaged and they are so much stronger when fired.
                        The 2D ones are pretty easy to make moulds from using a pour on solution but the 3D ones you have to use brush on in two parts.
                        The technical side of all that took me ages to figure out and I found it really frustrating but I finally got there.
                        Making the original is the fun part but obviously takes so long they would work out to expensive for most people to buy.

Bill

A beautiful work of art.
                            Bill

Be kinder than necessary

Triduana

Looks good. It was interesting reading about the process too. Looking forward to seeing others. :)

Kay D - Edinburgh, Scotland

So long, and thanks ...

Frances Obie

What a great concept! Looks beautiful.

Frances

My Web Site
                                    equinespirit

Thanks for the lovely comments Bill, Kay and Frances :)

Great work. Impressive.

Thamaso Ma Jyothirgamaya.

lisapencil

Beautiful work:cat:

I look forward to seeing the others. Very creative work!

Penny
                                            I live in Wiltshire, England
                                            “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.