WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2019, 07:29 AM

The Summer Slouch

Hi, I'm new here. I also have a long standing practice of not showing my work (Lol, over ten years of writing novels that I never send out). But images are such a shareable medium that I'm attempting to overcome this. This is my first oil painting in ten years, out of three total. Hopefully, I will soon have more but, I wanted to do one with whatever I had in me innately so I could have a "before" picture to look back on in a year or two of focused learning. Personally, I can see a lot I need to work on. But hey, it's a beginning, right? Constructive criticism and other sage advice warmly welcomed.
(The Summer Slouch, Oil on canvas board 12" x 16")
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2019, 08:17 AM
Chicago

Hails from United States
Re: The Summer Slouch

If this is your "before", I can't wait to see the "after"! Really outstanding work for a first piece. The only main I could offer is that the person seems to be floating - perhaps a shadow would help attach her to the dock.

My Sketch Blog
Instagram
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2019, 04:07 PM

Thanks so much for replying, and I'm glad to hear you liked it. Honestly, I wasn't sure what to think. I'm keeping a notebook to record my thoughts on the work as I go and will note the floating aspect, because I believe you are right. I'd thought a little about adding one but wasn't sure since I was working off a quick doodle before we got rained out and for the life of me I couldn't remember if there would have been a shadow on an overcast day.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2019, 09:52 PM
Lord of the Arts

You have shadow under her forearm/hand and under her leg. Some also on the front side of the upper arm. A bit of shadow on the dock under the shorts would be appropriate.
Well done!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2019, 01:29 AM
Enthusiast

It's a nice theme and the slouch is familiar one. Great job for a 3rd painting. You've got the folds on her shirt and shorts right.. one thing I'd look to add are small highlights to make her folds pop out more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellavina
I also have a long standing practice of not showing my work (Lol, over ten years of writing novels that I never send out). But images are such a shareable medium that I'm attempting to overcome this. This is my first oil painting in ten years, out of three total.
You've come to the right place. Hope you post more here.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2019, 12:59 PM
Administrator
Where ever I go..there I am

Hails from United States

It can be a little intimidating to share our first works so good for you!
Anyone who writes or sketches recognizes the pose.
Take some time and review some postings in the Figure Forum to help with the ever tricky body positions.
I like the choice of your figure being on a dock dangling feet in the water as it adds to the entire dream quality of the moment of creating.