Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Oil Painting – Hall of Fame Welcome to What’s On Your Easel……March 2018

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    !becca

Welcome to WOYE March 2018…Post your works in progress here so long as they are in oils…everyone is welcome!!! :wave:

for a more complete critique post in the main forum.

Becca “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
        Becca's Fine Art

budigart

Jackie, my grandson, 12X9, one hour oil sketch on canvas board heavily and sloppily gessoed.

mtpalms

Nice! I admire people who can work loose and get such great likenesses.

New link to my latest work.[/url]
                "The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier they dug on hallowed ground
                But the tomb of the unknown artist is nowhere to be found."

DawnF

Worked on this a bit more today. Not feeling like ocean scenes are my strength, but okay overall with the current state.

Delofasht

and sloppily gessoed

Best way to do it in my opinion.

Also: Great results!

- Delo Delofasht
                        Delofasht

Worked on this a bit more today. Not feeling like ocean scenes are my strength, but okay overall with the current state.

Looks good to me! I suppose the chroma could be pushed a bit, but that could be done with glazes unless your initial layer was very thick and heavy (they don’t look thick to me). What seems weak about the painting to you?

- Delo Delofasht
                            DawnF

Looks good to me! I suppose the chroma could be pushed a bit, but that could be done with glazes unless your initial layer was very thick and heavy (they don’t look thick to me). What seems weak about the painting to you?

Delo – I guess I just am not as excited about the green color I used in the wave, despite the fact that I’m using some reference photographs so I know it’s true to life. I think I may go back in a glaze after it’s had some time. The only part that has heavier paint is the white of the foam. I am also hoping that careful selection of a frame will help mellow the colors a bit. I came into this one with a bit of “baggage,” having painted a truly horrid seascape in acrylics a few years back before I switched to oils. This is the first one I tried again since that one. Thanks for the feedback!

armparas

Hello everyone!
                                    This is my WIP oil on paper

armparas

Another painting on my easel
                                        24″ x 36″

Sam :)

I was in Paris over the week (it was cooold!) and went to the Louvre and spent a minute watching over the shoulder of an artist who was painting a study of one of the paintings there, and learned a new technique for blending. Of course, after some googling I realised it is a very common technique which probably most of you know about already, it was just new to me… I used it on the painting below (which I have been working on from time to time for over a year now) and made great progress thanks to how quickly I was able to blend.

[ATTACH]854955[/ATTACH]

Dan-007

just started this painting today

kagiva59

After a couple of years courting, I finally tied the knot a few weeks ago. So a portrait is in order. I like a smooth surface for portrait work, so I picked up a 16″x20″ stretched linen. Only 1 layer of sanded gesso and then my midtone layer. I have large tubes of white and burnt sienna acrylic so I’ll be using a light orange base layer for many more paintings to come. I’m liking the linen so far. This is the first dead layer. I tend to wait about 3 days between layers.

Yet another bob.

AnnieA

Delo – I guess I just am not as excited about the green color I used in the wave, despite the fact that I’m using some reference photographs so I know it’s true to life. I think I may go back in a glaze after it’s had some time. The only part that has heavier paint is the white of the foam. I am also hoping that careful selection of a frame will help mellow the colors a bit. I came into this one with a bit of “baggage,” having painted a truly horrid seascape in acrylics a few years back before I switched to oils. This is the first one I tried again since that one. Thanks for the feedback!

Dawn, this may be one of those things that tends to go under the painter’s radar, but you may find removing the boat from the center area of the painting improves it greatly. When anything is located in the center, that’s where the eye goes almost immediately. You want your viewer’s eye to move through the painting. A strong center element can make the painting seem static, and that may just be what’s bothering you. Try moving it so it’s maybe 3/4 of the way to the right. I think you’ll like it a lot more that way. I like the green color myself.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                                                        [FONT=Palatino]
                                                        “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

budigart

In my opinion, Annie may be on to something, at least from a portrait painter’s point of view. It’s not a RULE, but more a strong suggestion that when you’re painting a head that is turned either left or right it’s a good idea to give the head “nose room.” In other words, if the head is turned to the left, then back it up toward the right side of the canvas in order to allow eye and nose room in the direction the head is turned. Otherwise the head leaves the viewer feeling like it (the head) is cramped for space to “live, breath, and see.” If nothing else, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to move your boat/ship to the right . . . about half way between center and the far right. One way to test this idea is to put a strip of Saran wrap across the center of your painting and “dab” out the boat’s current location, and dab in the boat in a more right-hand location. Also, pay attention when you spot out the boat in the middle. It may look just fine without a boat. The Saran wrap allows you to try it without ruining or permanently changing your painting until you are sure.

Michaelshane

Someday everything is going to be different,when I paint my masterpiece.
                                                                Bob Dylan.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 68 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.