Home Forums Explore Media Printmaking Which paper? Too many options!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Elkana

I have found a couple of good links that list printmaking papers and the techniques they can be used for….but I am struggling with so many possibilities….a wealth of papers multiplied by many techniques that could be applied using the same paper multiplied by the weights, cold press and hot press, sized and semi-sized and unsized….and then there is the soaking, sort of soaking, not soaking, spraying, overnight storage and wiggle your whiskers while you mist it papers……Toto, we’re not in Kansas anymore!

I have to say Wet Canvas has been a yellow brick road in that regard with some help in sorting such a wide range of possibilities. While I have ordered a few sample packs and have a journal to record my papers, inks, wetting & results etc, I blew my personal blow it ‘art budget’ for this year on getting my baby press. I could spend a lot of money experimenting with papers that are totally unsuitable, useable but not ‘as good’ for that technique, soaking when I should be misting and wiggling my whiskers when I shouldn’t be.

Has anyone found a resource that provides a primer on papers that goes beyond what a piece of paper ‘can’ be used for? Books are hard to keep current so I am hoping a link to something active perhaps? Something like ….here are the five popular papers for lino, here are three common ones for monoprinting, seven for intaglio….mist the first one, not the second one, wiggle your whiskers when wetting the third one, pros and cons of this paper for this technique.

When I was in the workforce, I was known as a person who could make complex scenarios simple and understandable. In every subject there are fundamentals which, once you have a foundation of basics, you can start to relate new information to your foundation. I suppose I could start a spreadsheet to begin collecting the intelligence as I read, research, experiment and enjoy this forum, but if it is already done somewhere, I’d prefer not to reinvent the wheel (particularly with the associated costs).

Why not just experiment and build the knowledge as I go? Well, I recognize how much I have improved each time someone here, novice or experienced printer, has posted something or offers me an idea or a suggestion……and I am a fan of experience. If you know of a resource, would you mind sharing it?

Elkanah
        Saskatchewan

karenlee

My suggestion is to get a roll of Rives BFK and work from there; it is a good all-around paper for printing and drawing. Look for paper sample kits at Dan Smith and other sellers; the samples in these kits are small, but definitely big enough for trials.
            New York Central Art Supply is the top US paper source; they can offer their recommendations too:

http://www.nycentralart.com/

If you can get into a printmaking class (or even visit one for a short conversation) you can get help from the teacher.
            Don’t be afraid to use info on paper selection from the classic texts on printmaking; the best papers have really not changed– it’s the books (and the printing inks) that go in and out of fashion, not the printmaking papers!
            Too many rag and other fibers (Japanese papers) to go into here. Enjoy!

bridog

Elkanah
                if memory serves me there were a host of contributions to a thread on printmaking papers started several years back here in the Printmaking forum in WC. I have not been able to find it myself as for some reason when I type in printmaking papers in the search option at the top of the page and choose forums it tells me page not found. However I am away from homebase presently using a very slow satellite internet connection which might be contributing to the problem. Perhaps someone else can find this and copy and paste the link into the thread?

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work. Emile Zola

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
                visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart

karenlee

bridog, is this the thread you referred to?

https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282930

Elkana

This is a good start. I think I may start a spreadsheet to capture what I am finding in this and other threads. If you think of any others I would sure be interested. Thank you.

Elkanah
                        Saskatchewan

bridog

thanks Karen for providing the link to that thread
                            for some reason I thought someone might have posted an actual list (probably me). However now that I think of it that list was books on printmaking and probably not papers. Anyhow I can add a few more papers since that thread was published. These are ones I am familiar with using based on my studio experiences. I will put what techniques work best beside each and where you can purchase them.

Japanese sketch paper – Blick Art Materials – a thin Japanese made kozo paper used for sumi ink painting but works quite well for relief and silkscreen printing
                            http://www.dickblick.com/products/yasutomo-japanese-sketch-paper-pads/

Magnani Revere – Blick Art Materials, Graphic Chemical, Daniel Smith (?) – all purpose Italian milled economical rag 250 gm that comes in three finishes
                            http://www.dickblick.com/products/magnani-revere-printmaking-sheets/

Maidstone – Curry’s Art Supplies (Canada) – economical all purpose 250 gm rag made in Holland. This paper may be supplied soon through Speedball/Akua so it may show up in the stock of various US based retailers.
                            https://www.currys.com/catalogpc.htm?Category=MAIDSTONE_PAPER

Somerset letterpress (book weight) – 115 gm and 175 gm british made thin rag – this works very well for relief. It will also accept water based media like watercolour. It is ideal for hand printing applications when a press isn’t possible. I sourced some a while ago through Above Ground Art Supplies based in Toronto Canada. I have not seen it listed in Blicks selection of papers. It appears that Graphic Chemical in Chicago retail it in the US. https://www.graphicchemical.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=377&cat=Somerset+Book

speaking of Graphic Chemical they have an extensive array of papers listed:
                            https://www.graphicchemical.com/shopdisplaycategories.asp?id=305&cat=Complete+List+of+All+Papers+%2D+Sheets

finally one last paper worth mentioning:
                            about 3 years back I discovered a heavy bamboo paper (acid free) made by Awagami mills in Japan. It is really only usable for relief and silkscreen as there isn’t much sizing. It has a beautiful soft silk like texture and natural deckle edges on two sides. I am not sure this is the same one I purchased here in Canada but Graphic Chemical have a bamboo rag listed:
                            https://www.graphicchemical.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=872&cat=Bamboo

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without work. Emile Zola

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
                            visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart

Elkana

Thank you so much for this list. This is exactly what I meant about having a foundation. You guys rock. And why I love this forum…the reference to the paper without much sizing being only good for relief and silkscreen. The light went on (I think) in re: soaking time probably has a lot to do with the amount of sizing and why some papers should only be misted perhaps. I love true learning by understanding rather than by rote. If I am wrong, that is ok, feel free to correct me.

Elkanah
                                Saskatchewan

Elkana

Really appreciate the references to good all around choices and the links. I think I may put a spreadsheet together and after a while of culling the forum, maybe I can give back the next time someone asks my question.

Elkanah
                                    Saskatchewan

I prefer BFK for my print work both relief, and intaglio. I have also found another paper that I like when doing invitations and other more commercial work. Lettra by Crane/Neenah is available in a variety of weights, and has matching envelopes. It takes an impression nicely, and was created to work with letterpress printing.

Elkana

I took a printmaking workshop recently and tried black ink reductive monotype as well as watercolour monotype and embossing. Interesting. In all cases we used BFK 250 and Somerset 250. Both were good and slightly different in texture. I can see why folks like both and it was great to get hands on with both and different types of printing. No substitute for experience. Unfortunately the ‘wilds’ of Saskatchewan don’t provide too many workshop opportunities so I sure appreciate this forum as the next best thing to my own experience.

Elkanah
                                        Saskatchewan

mstuarte

for a practical and versatile option, Utrecht makes a paper Called American Master’s Printmaking Paper. Available in rolls and sheets. Nice medium weight with medium tooth. Used it for both block printing and monoprint/Monotype. Love it. I produce a lot of monoprint images and it helps to keep costs down.

2D aficionado, musician
                                            Year Round bike commuter
                                            Mark Evans Image Galleries

Elkana

Thanks. I’ll get a sample and give it a try.

Elkanah
                                                Saskatchewan

nanakki

I’m another fan of BFK. It’s a lovely paper

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.