WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2018, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member

Re: Painting from progressively less blurry image ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigalot
Interesting, but too much "Cezannish". The value without color expression looks like École de Barbizon. Good for photography + digital projection style of painting, because photography has short range of values.

I think you maybe right. Trying to emulate a digital photograph is a bit meh. I like your word 'expression'. Its the one thing we should hang onto because if we lose sight of it we are lost as artists.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2018, 09:26 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

I remember; the old art history books in grade school, full of photos of the works of the famous.........all in black and white. Mind boggling.
Well at least the "values" were correct.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2018, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcam
I remember; the old art history books in grade school, full of photos of the works of the famous.........all in black and white. Mind boggling.
Well at least the "values" were correct.

Haha. Yes i remember watching snooker on tv in black and white. You could only tell the colours only by the values
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2018, 02:42 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Jon Redmond is one of my favorite painters and he says this:

In fact I don’t even sketch on the canvas. I start by laying large masses down. I hate line. I want to do the searching and struggling while I am painting because that is what makes the painting become interesting, the process of searching. lines would restrict my painting in a negative way by dictating where things are going to happen in the beginning of the process when you really don’t know that much about what needs to happen. Lines also tend to make you pay attention to the wrong visual relationships. What is important is what is happening on ether side of where a line would be, and by putting a line down you tend overlook the importance of a relationship between two colors or values (the line I feel, becomes a lazy solution to a visual question) Painting for me is really just a legal excuse to sit and look at something for hours on end. What other profession allows you to go out, find something really cool and stare at it as long as you want?

I love his work and we are total opposites. I am a line freak. I think what he says would be good for those who want to get the big shapes first. Going for the masses and totally NOT using line at all for a while could be a good thing, or at least a learning experience:

Here is a Redmond; is that cool or what????

Oh, is that a stunner! I had never heard of him, but already he's one of my favorite artists, too! Thanks, Derek! I don't know about progressive focus (not saying that it's not a good approach), but it sure is an advertisement for trying a shape/value block in rather than a line drawing. On second thought, progressive focus is probably a type of shape/value block in. I'd love to see him demo a painting. Anyway, it's an amazing and gorgeous painting.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 04-15-2018 at 02:45 PM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2018, 04:07 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

More:

Google Jon Redmond
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2018, 04:19 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

I'd like to add a bit to explain my enthusiasm with this "progressive focus" method, just a little further.

For years I tried everything I had heard, and read, regarding the painting of a portrait. I created precise drawings, preliminary sketches. I used gridding, tracing, projecting, and literally "winging it", all to no avail. With all this information regarding methods of creating a portrait that represented a relatively accurate likeness of the individual model, I failed in my attempts at creating such a portrait. I could not seem to attain a likeness.

In fact, one of the absolute worst portraits I ever accomplished was the result of my having become entranced with that which I call the "classic proportion" approach. This involved the spacing of the elements of the human face as proposed by those who primarily paint portraits from imagination, I believe. This sort of approach is dictated by those who feel that eyes should be spaced a predetermined distance apart, that the head needs to sectioned off in convenient pieces, and that features of the human face are somehow to be placed at specific distances from one another.

This approach may succeed if one desires to paint a portrait of a recognizable, human being from pure imagination, but it falls flat if your goal is to represent the specific features of your favorite aunt, grandma, or son. It just does NOT work. People simply are not constructed like the Greek gods after whom this "classic proportion" approach has been designed. The simple fact is that ....people are not (hardly ever) built with the elements of their face features to specific proportions. There is one professional wrestler on TV whose eyes are so close together that they nearly appear to be overlapped! And, when attending a school function a one time, I noticed an Asian girl whose eyes were so far apart that one could have squeezed in THREE eye widths between them! No, people are NOT built the same!

Somehow the good ol', artist method of "paint what you see" seems to give 'way to the "paint what you think ought to be there", or the "paint what you know" approach, when portrait teachers get 'hold of it. I never could quite understand that reasoning.

Long story short, when I tried this progressive focus method for the first time, I figured it would be just another desperate attempt that would result in failure for me to capture a reasonably accurate likeness of the person being painted. Since I did not have access to all the back-lighting, rear-projecting, equipment that Rob Howard used in his demo on the Cennini Forum so many years ago, I just created a series of progressively-blurred images of the same subject, so that I could use them as my reference photos.

I use a reference photo (or really, a blurred series of them) that is the exact proportion to the canvas size that I'm going to use for the portrait.

The first time I tried this progressive blur approach, I achieved my first really accurate likeness of my model. Believing that to be a fluke, I immediately did another portrait, only to discover that the method actually worked, and I turned out another relatively accurate likeness of my model. And, all this with no preliminary drawing, sketching, or proportioning, whatsoever.

In the interim, I sadly drifted back to using some sort of "preliminary drawing" technique, for which I was once again "rewarded" with the same disappointing lack of likeness, which had plagued me before I discovered this progressive focus method. So, I discarded this method that had served me so poorly, in favor on my new progressive focus method that had actually worked!

At present, I remain sold on the progressive focus method of painting a portrait, and I am convinced that the way I experience my best success is when I begin such a portrait with a "I don't care how this portrait is going to look" attitude at the onset. It seems the more careful my preliminary work is on a portrait, the worse it looks in its final appearance, whereas when I truly don't care how it will appear, my best work emerges.

Last edited by WFMartin : 04-15-2018 at 04:25 PM.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2018, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
More:

Google Jon Redmond

If anyone else is interested in Jon Redmond you will see a lot if his work featured in this book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alla-Prima-...+prima+al+gury

I have known about him for quite some time and in the book you can see the actual brushstrokes he uses as the main part of the book has some great images. It does tail off a bit at the end with Gurys own work which isnt as good.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2018, 04:50 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

I would like to get that book: did they steal the title from Richard Schmid?
I also love his work and I have his book.

Also: hats off to Plein Air painters who do this all the time with spontaneity;
amazing.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2018, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I would like to get that book: did they steal the title from Richard Schmid?
I also love his work and I have his book.

amazing.

Yes the titles the same lol. Ironically i bought the Gury book first then the Schmid.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2018, 06:29 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
More:

Google Jon Redmond
Thanks again, Derek! Beautiful work again. Actually I had already googled him (duckducked, actually) before writing my reply, and also already have some stuff saved on Pinterest. I told you he was already a favorite!

― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 04-15-2018 at 06:34 PM.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-15-2018, 06:44 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Oh....Annie I meant everyone google Redmond.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2018, 12:29 AM
A WC! Legend
South West of England.

Hails from England

I don't know about painting from blurry, but I do know this thread has made me want to go out and paint plein air.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2018, 03:50 AM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Quote:
amazing.

I also love a digital plain airt hunting into computer's RAM space. To put image into fresh Photoshop and then spontaneously manipulate with it until it became masterpiecely useful.
BTW, Redmond's work is another good style to manipulate with oil-acrylic blends!

Last edited by Gigalot : 04-16-2018 at 03:53 AM.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2018, 12:12 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Oh....Annie I meant everyone google Redmond.
Sure, Derek, and that's just what I did. I hope others do the same, since he's such a terrific painter, and thanks again for introducing him to us all.

Hey, silentnanny, there's another way to sort of force yourself to "get big blocks of colour down rather than getting bogged down in details," as you mention in your first post. That's something I think most of us struggle with, and the other way is "notan," which is a Japanese system for recording the essence of a scene quickly and accurately. It involves sketches employing a limited number of values to describe the scene in question. This forces you to look at big shapes first, and has the added value of helping you assess your composition. Mitch Albala, author of [b]Landscape Painting: Essential Concepts and Techniques for Plein Air and Studio Practice[b] has some great articles on notan on his blog, here: http://blog.mitchalbala.com/category/notan/ There are a few advantages of notan over the progressive focus method: 1) It doesn't require a computer or any sort of electronic device, making it useful for plein air work; 2) it's very quick to do once you get the hang of it; and, 3) it's a more active process which forces you to analyze the scene, rather than having the computer do it for you. Although notan is primarily a value based system (black/white/gray), once you've got a notan sketch you like, you can easily apply color to the shapes and then go from there.

― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 04-16-2018 at 12:19 PM.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2018, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member

What is it about washing lines that make such great paintings? Redmond above. Schmids dvd June he paints a washing line. Even Van Gogh did one. I must do some washing line paintings