WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2018, 09:37 PM
Austin, Texas

Hails from United States
Abstract Attempt

Hi Everyone,

I am working on a series of abstract paintings as part of a challenge. I've been a detailed realistic pencil artist for a very long time and was wanting to try something new and let go for awhile. Here is one of my first attempts, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I personally have no title for it except Abstract #1 but my children have named it Just Imagine, Cloud of Dreams, Candy Mountain, and Mindful which I find very interesting. Any comments are welcome as I'm trying to find my way...

8 x 10
oil on panel

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2018, 10:01 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States
Re: Abstract Attempt

Wow. What a great first attempt at being a bit abstract! Like you, I have found that it really feels good to step outside the box once in awhile, and do some abstract, or surrealistic subjects.

I have noticed that among some of the abstract pieces that I really tend to like, most of them seem to exhibit several aspects that inspire my interest in them. One is having some sort of "color scheme", and the ones I appreciate the most are those that are somewhat based upon I guess what you might call "analagous" sort of scheme--colors that lie close to each other on a color wheel.

Another characteristic is that even though the painting may be abstract, there is usually some center of interest, or focal point.

When creating an abstract piece, about the only thing(s) it has going for it is color, and composition, since realism is put aside for the time being.

This is a really good piece, and you actually had lots of help in naming it! That is pretty cool.

My latest 3 attempts at painting outside my comfort zone, and creating pieces within the abstract, and surrealistic themes, I titled, "Biff", "Clank", and "Splat". Wierd stuff, and not nearly as appealing as yours!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2018, 03:18 PM
Austin, Texas

Hails from United States

WFMartin,

Thank you for the great reply! I appreciate the feedback since I'm stepping out of my comfort zone with all this abstract stuff. I'm glad you found this to be a good first attempt. I've kept going and some of my stuff sometimes looks a little strange to me but I also feel like I'm learning along the way. It's nice to think about color, shape and composition only for a change, instead of worrying over details.

Nikki L.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2018, 03:52 PM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Lovely colors and brush work!
I also love to paint something unusual, to try experiments with color, paints, mediums or composition. A free hand work.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2018, 05:59 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Very nice.....keep going. You have a nice color sense.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2018, 07:34 PM
Immortalized

Hails from Netherlands

Well done! I love that combination of colours and the softness of it all.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2018, 09:35 PM
Austin, Texas

Hails from United States

Thank you for the comments! I will definitely keep on, I like having a section of my work for being free when I tire of being detailed.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2018, 03:01 PM

When I see this, what comes to my mind is a Hubble Space Telescope image of some remote nebula. It looks pretty cool