WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2018, 09:17 AM
New York City

Hails from United States
Re: Oil-from-life challenge, April 2018: optional plein air theme

I don't care that the kid peed under a tree... i cared that he peed under MY tree!

I have a lot of really wacky plein air stories, for the most part the stories are better than my paintings. That was the worst one though.

Bathroom issues........so yes that is an issue if you are out alone. It is less of an issue if you are a guy, especially if you are in a rural area. I tend to just limit fluids beforehand if I know there are no facilities around. I cannot just leave my gear.

Just another of those "fun" plein air things I guess.

#32   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2018, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member

I don't like leaving my gear alone either. Occasionally I'll ask someone to watch it, but usually I just dash into a restaurant to use the restroom and hope for the best. I haven't had a problem yet. I do have a couple painting buddies, but most of the time I'm on my own.

I did yet another cherry-blossom picture today: my fourth in the past week. The blossoms are at "peak" now and will soon be gone, so I'm painting while I can. This composition was more ambitious than the one I did a couple days ago, and while it wasn't quite as successful, it still has its merits.

I liked the shadows in the foreground and hazy light in the background, so I set up in this spot, even though I knew it would be easier to paint cherry blossoms against a dark background. I was also interested in portraying the canopy of blossoms framing the street. I probably should've added a street sign or center-line to help the viewer read it as a street. Anyway, "Cherry blossoms along a road," oil on canvas panel, 11" x 14."

#33   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2018, 08:37 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from European Union

Grotius, love your cherry trees! Wonderful that you had a chance to go and paint them before they are gone. I like the variation of colors, softness, brushstrokes. I like everything about this last cherry tree. Also the third cherry tree is popping nice from the bg. Excellent group of cherry trees.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2018, 09:57 AM
New York City

Hails from United States

Really nice Geoff.

#35   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2018, 02:28 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Hey, Geoff, those are some gorgeous cherry trees! If you're able to get such wonderful juicy paint strokes with the small evergreens, I can't wait to see what you'll do with that #10!

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

#36   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2018, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks all! I'm glad you like the cherry trees! It was a wonderful luxury to be able to spend several hours looking at them (and painting them).

Annie, my #10 Evergreen arrived today, as did a half-dozen other Rosemary brushes. I'll be trying them out tomorrow, weather permitting!
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2018, 05:01 PM

Love your cherry tree. What color are you using for the red-pink?
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2018, 06:31 PM

you captured the feel of the light in the bg to the left. that's actually my favourite part here though the blooms are beautiful. the light under cherry trees is unique.

my brushes are still on their way. 7 days and counting.

Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist.
Picasso
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2018, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member

@Tom: The pink was various combinations of permanent alizarin crimson, napthol red, and titanium white. I tossed in some yellows and oranges too, as well as some cool colors, as the blossoms do sometimes have a bluish tint. It was very fun to mix all those colors!

@ronsu: My neighbor made the same comment: his favorite bit was the hazy light in the background. I worked hard to get that effect, so I'm glad someone noticed. I'm looking forward to hearing how things go with your new brushes! Sorry you have to wait so long. Rosemary sent mine in just 3-4 days, via FedEx. (The only other option was Royal Mail, which would have been only a day slower and not much cheaper.)

I couldn't wait to get outside today to try my new Rosemary brushes, especially the big #10 Evergreen flat, the ivory flat, and a variety of bristle brushes. The brushes didn't disappoint! The paint flowed nicely, and I was really happy using these lovely tools. More in my next post.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2018, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member

It was 70 degrees and sunny today -- perfect spring weather! The only hitch was that the wind kicked up, so our cherry trees are starting to shed blossoms. Some of the flowers fell right on my canvas, in fact. (I picked them off; I don't think they're archival, heh.)

I worked larger than usual on this painting, so I spent more time doing value sketches than usual. Composition is always a challenge for me, so it's time well spent. I think the picture turned out reasonably well! "Cherries and bushes," oil on canvas panel, 16" x 20."

#41   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2018, 06:44 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from European Union

ronsu, your brushes should come faster. They promised 10-day-shipping for me too but they came in 4 days. I was surprised!

Grotius, I noticed the beautiful haze in the painting but sometimes I can't find words to express. It's very successful painting.
In your last cherry tree painting "Cherries and bushes" you are showing well how flowers are going away. Well done and thanks for showing!

I'm lazy today, perfect day to go out to paint but will go tomorrow. Also there's so much talk about evergreens that I'm packing my evergreens to painting bag and decided that I must start using them.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2018, 10:14 AM

thank you for commiserating!
expected the same as did happen to you moscatel, but no. fedex would be an option in a city but here in the wilderness the fees would amount to absolute ridicule. contacted rosemary's (impatiently) and received prompt answers and help; nothing is wrong. five work days from "leaving the hub" the parcel is not registered in my country. it feels ominous.

how are the bristles, Grotius, did you order the longs or the interlocking variety? since i use solvent/medium, i didn't dare predict how they would behave for you, but they are perfect for the first layer and sky, blocking masses (pink petal carpet on the ground... ) you then shape and detail with smaller brushes. they produce longer strokes but might leave texture that you need to even out with a synthetic brush. or not!

(if it's not derailing the thread too much, maybe we could hear a little bit from moscatel about the evergreens?)

Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist.
Picasso

Last edited by ronsu18 : 04-13-2018 at 10:17 AM.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2018, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Moscatel, thanks for the kind words! I hope you get out to paint tomorrow.

I like how the Evergreens hold their shape. Nice sharp lines when the flats are used on their edge. Plus they’re soft but firm. My new size 10 Evergreen is lovely.

Ronsu, I got an Eclipse too; it’s softer, so I may use it less, but very useful for blending etc. I did get 2 or 3 interlocking bristle brushes. Great for large masses! I got a couple of the new extra long filberts. Yum!

Off to paint!
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2018, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member

You guys are probably getting sick of cherry trees, but I'm gonna keep painting them until they lose their blossoms -- which may be as soon as Sunday. Today I did several value sketches and settled on a composition, but once I started painting, I kept changing my mind. I hope the finished piece doesn't reflect this indecisiveness. "Cherry tree on a corner," oil on linen, 14" x 18."

#45   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2018, 01:13 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Geoff, I just wanted to say that I also noticed the beautiful "haze" created by the flurry of blossoms that you've captured so well, especially in the piece on 4/10. It's going to be so interesting over the next days to watch as the blossoms become sparser and fall to the ground.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne