WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2018, 10:26 PM
Lord of the Arts
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... April 2018

Real quiet and introspective today. Did a lot of sketching and preparation for the work to come this week, having most of my area figured out and getting closer to organized now. Peeked in on a few artists whose work I like quite a bit, and really can clearly see their styles now, which made me realize that my own style tends to be very “painterly” in all my work. I believe saying I read once went, “Once you know what you like, well, there you are.”

I spent a lot of time testing out several of the papers I have received recently:

Found the Bee heavyweight sketchbook paper a bit too thin for watercolor washes for my tastes. I still have a few other of their papers to try though, the sizing they use for their paper does a good job of keeping colors from bleeding through overall, only the Sharpie markers I sometimes used bled through a tiny bit when I really wet the area with Sharpie.

Strathmore Papers all underperformed, I was really hopeful they would work like I wanted, but bleed through was too much with markers, buckling with watercolor too much, and the other media I like did not work very well either. It is unfortunate because I really like their paper for pencil, pen, and other dry media. I still need to try taping a page down and coating it with another coat of size to see if that allows me to use it for liquid media without it buckling or bleeding through. It is possible that Strathmore just doesn’t use enough sizing on their papers.

Crescent makes a no bleed through paper called RendR, which I think they market towards those using markers but it works for all media. I mean all of them too, I put a thick layer of oil on, no bleed through, no oil halo, just perfectly accepting. Watercolor buckles the paper with heavy washes, but clipping it down dried nearly perfectly flat, probably can just iron it out flat if I need to. Acrylic, Gouache, and Casein seems to all handle fine, but if using water has some of the same buckling issues. An interesting point was that the paper turns this gray color while wet, and dries back to a white. I am not sure what kind of size they use that achieves such a look, it is as if the paper tries to go translucent with water. This makes it a bit difficult to analyze watercolor in real time, have to wait till it dries to see if it looks right, which feels strange, but then again I have found I always have to do that because most papers lose some vibrancy or become less saturated. I really like the qualities of this paper though, as I could layer lots of pencil, colored pencil, pen, ink, and acrylic paint all on a page freely. Even better is that I can turn the page over and do the same on the other side, blew my mind, never encountered a sketchbook paper I could do this kind of stuff with so easily and inexpensively.

Still have 2 or 3 more companies’ papers that I am waiting to test before I make a full comparison of them, but I thought I would share my findings so far with everyone.

Nancy, I hope it is warm here this next week, I want to get out and do some plein air myself. I am not sure I ever finish a painting in one sitting, but I enjoy doing it and am becoming a bit faster.

Moscatel, I like the cat harness. . . My last cat would have killed me in my sleep if I had ever tried to put her in one of those. That bridge in the background is wild looking, and I have logged it in my memory, having seen such a thing exist now I will use the concept in a painting some day.

Delofasht

Last edited by Delofasht : 04-07-2018 at 10:28 PM.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2018, 12:09 AM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Becca, thank you! Sometimes soft is okay, isn't it?

Delo, what the whole east coast is going through is really terrible. If you get desperate to do some plain air and you're still having wretched weather, you could drive down to Oklahoma City and join us next Sunday. I really hope that this odd weather gives you a break so that you can get out and paint!

I really appreciate your research for all of us on different sorts of paper. We all benefit from your intentions when you tell us what you've found, and I'm very glad you joined us. With all your tryouts, I take notes from you.

#63   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2018, 03:50 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from European Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
Awwww, Muffin the feline world traveler! That is a cool bridge, is it in Spain?
Picture was taken last summer on our plein air/photography trip to Norway. Atlantic Road is there. I always thought once in my life time I want to go and see it. Beforehand I thought I wouldn't be able to go to the bridge but when you are on the bridge it's just like any other strong and well built bridge. You don't feel any curve or other danger when you are on it.
There are Youtube videos of it on Internet. Here is one and you can see the bridge in the first one and half minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta8NeTx9blI I did paint one plein air in the same spot where Muffin is in the photo but I don't like how it turned out (wind was changing the view constantly and that makes plein air difficult).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyMP
Mosc, Muffin has an interesting expression in that photo - sort of a "Well, mom's taking pictures of me again. Doesn't she know that I'm already world famous?!"

Nancy, I hope you get to go painting plein air, it's so nice outside in fresh air. I like your painting a lot!

Delo, I taught my cat from the very beginning to have harness on. You can read more about the bridge above. There are videos etc.

Becca, thank you! Your video is so hilarious.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2018, 10:49 AM
Lord of the Arts
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

So here's a fun bit, I went to the thrift store that I got a great deal on oil paint and carrier last month (I think). This time around I found an entire George Foreman Grill with all the attachments for 3$. . . gave it a good cleaning (even though it looked like it had been used all of two times in it's life), and made bacon and waffles this morning. Extremely pleased face here. No more popping bacon singing the hell out of me.

Delofasht
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2018, 10:57 AM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Nancy, what a lovely plein air, so peaceful. I hope the weather and your friend cooperate and you get to get out there and paint.

Delo, good luck finding the holy grail of sketch paper. I wondered if oil paper would accept watercolor and it does, it is also thick, so it might prevent bleed through from markers too. The biggest drawback is that it is comparatively expensive compared to sketchbook paper. This article not only talks about it's use for watercolor, but touches on another topic we were discussing lately, framing watercolors without glass.
https://tinabohlman.com/blog/113695/...watercolor-too
I think it might be a good surface for gouache too. I mentioned that I had used it in college, and now that you mentioned Crescent, I remembered that that hot press board was what we used. Or was it cold press? One of the two had just a bit of tooth, which made it a nice surface for gouache and pen & ink.

You might see if there are sketchbooks for oil painting that don't have the canvas tooth.

I mentioned to Mary awhile back that a good substitute for oil paper is spraying watercolor paper with Bin shellac. Perhaps this would work on sketchbook paper too, if you can find some that doesn't buckle.

I have an annoying issue with my laptop - the 'h' key must have something caught undeneath, because while it works, it does not go all the way down, so I can't type an 'h' unless I make sure to deliberately hit the key. If I can't dislodge whatever's under there, I may have to take it in.

Thanks for the tip on using a Foreman grill for making bacon. I have a small one gathering dust somewhere, I may have to find it and use it for that.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2018, 11:08 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

No grill here...and rarely...very rarely do bacon..but whenI do it is in the microwave...couple paper towels and bacon...easy...

Marcia you manage well .. even with the 'h' acting up...

Mosc...glad you like the video..

paper.. I love the hand pressed papers, but they are not that friendly to work with....
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2018, 11:29 AM
Lord of the Arts
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Becca, I don't own a microwave, always makes food taste unusual to me. I do remember learning how to cook just about anything in one though, even made eggs more than a few times (scrambled, fried, poached, and others). Hand pressed papers do look beautiful, and they are alright for dry media if sometimes a bit uneven. Wonderfully unique looks to any work done on them.

Marcia, you can pry the keys off the keyboard with a flat head screw driver and wipe out underneath with a qtip if needed. Unless it's a mechanical spring loaded key you will be fine (those are really expensive keyboards though and unlikely what anyone not working in programming owns one). Watercolor paper sprayed with shellac does work, but my lungs hate fumes in the air anymore so I just avoid all sprays and most perfumes or colognes. Honestly this Crescent RendR paper may just be the perfect sketchbook paper, it's durable, fine toothed, great for all dry media and accept wet media with minor buckling, easy to force it flat again if needed, and comes in sketchbook sizes. As far as oil papers are concerned, the Hahnemühle oil paper is absolutely fantastic, I have a bit of oil work done on a sample on my easel at the moment. I just threw some random colors on the paper with the idea of some cavernous area in mind, but I am going to paint over that today with something else entirely. It takes oil beautifully, didn't think to try watercolor on it yet though, but will totally do so now I have a couple extra sheets around.

Gotta say once again, love my Foreman Grill. . . clean up was a snap too. So easy to cook so many things, pretty sure I am going to love using this thing for everything now. It's funny I am just now owning one, when I have wanted one all my life, but never more than I wanted art supplies. . . so I had always spent my money on art instead. This thrift store is so wonderful, saw some other good things there too, a camera with case and all for 7$ (this place checks to make sure everything works before putting it out), a huge range of lamps for 5 to 10$ that look very expensive to me, an incredible writing desk made of red oak for 125$ (it really was incredible, sliding drawers, fold away writing surface, intricate shelves inside doors. . . just wow, and solid).

Delofasht
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2018, 11:46 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Delo...glad you love your grill, and found the thrift store...they can have great finds...I never used to microwave a thing...aside from bacon..but have changed my ways...although doing more pseudo cooking now...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2018, 12:44 PM
Enthusiast
Oregon

Hails from United States

I try to keep my watercolor paper separate from my oil paper. I don't buy the larger sheets. I buy the 9 by 12 tablet. I just got in three tablets and some palet paper for just over $35 from Dick Blicks. $35 I got free shipping. I can get 10 ACEO's from one page of 9 by 12 or 16 from the next size at twice the cost. My $35 order should be enough for 360 aceo's. My last watercolor was Canon from Hobby Lobby for 10.99 but had 30 sheets. The 9 by 12 paper fits nicely in my Fiskar cutter.
I started out with ACEO panels but people wanted thinner so they would fit in trading card books.
You could cut them down to half or quarter and make your own small sketch book.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2018, 01:11 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

mosc, what a beautiful place! The form of that bridge is so elegant. Muffin looks so serene - how long did it take for her to become as calm as that outdoors? Or did she have to be gradually introduced to the out of doors?

Delo, you might look at Canson Multimedia Paper, which is made for both wet and dry media, and is available in a variety of sizes. It comes in a pad with a spiral binder, but each sheet is perforated so you can pull them out cleanly. I've used the paper with gouache, and there is slight buckling, but the sheets finally will dry pretty flat. I think it would need to be treated for oils. Maybe a coat or two of gesso would do the trick. I seem to recall using that RendR paper at some point and liked it. But isn't it pretty thin? I guess it depends on what you want to use it for. If your weather doesn't cooperate for a plein air outing, you might consider staying inside and painting the scene you see from a window. Heh, Delo, it sounds like you're officially now a thrift shop addict. Congrats on the find of the grill!

Nancy, I hope your weather improves so that you can get out with your friend for plein air. I'd like to get out myself. That was a lovely plein air; the soft quality made for a peaceful scene.

Marcia, I hope they're able to fix that key on your laptop. I had to buy a second "parts" laptop when I spilled stuff on mine and do a swap. What a pain! But I saved a ton of money compared to what it would have cost to have it repaired. Be careful if you try to fix it yourself. I found pulling up the key can work, but you risk breaking the tiny connectors on the bottom of the key and once that happens it won't go back on.

Becca and Delo, I used to do bacon as Becca did - in the microwave. It doesn't come out quite as good, but it is so nice not to have the messy clean up of a pan. I've used my microwave for a lot of things; I've even made artichokes and pasta in it (when it's hot outside), but often, as Delo notes, things don't come out quite as good so I don't use it as often now for regular cooking. I couldn't live without it though, because I use it to just slightly warm Pearl's food when it's been stored in the fridge. Did I mention that I spoil her?

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 04-08-2018 at 01:17 PM.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2018, 04:46 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from European Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
mosc, what a beautiful place! The form of that bridge is so elegant. Muffin looks so serene - how long did it take for her to become as calm as that outdoors? Or did she have to be gradually introduced to the out of doors?
Annie, she was that way from the beginning. We took her out at age of 4 months, if I remember correct. Also at that age she was once attacking two huge German Shepard dogs at the park and their owner couldn't understand what was going on: a little 4-month-old cat attacking big dogs. The owner of the dogs said she never had seen anything like that. I suppose she's just very brave. She's very interested in everything outside. Pst, I spoil Muffin too.
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2018, 06:26 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscatel
Annie, she was that way from the beginning. We took her out at age of 4 months, if I remember correct. Also at that age she was once attacking two huge German Shepard dogs at the park and their owner couldn't understand what was going on: a little 4-month-old cat attacking big dogs. The owner of the dogs said she never had seen anything like that. I suppose she's just very brave. She's very interested in everything outside. Pst, I spoil Muffin too.
Interesting, mosc. I didn't realize Muffin was OK with the outdoors as early as 4 months! It's funny, Pearl is very brave in some circumstances, but in others very apprehensive. For instance, one of the games we play is with a mouse attached to a wand by a long string. I often mix it up and take her into the bedroom where I swing the mouse in the air and she jumps up very high from the bed to try to catch it. And then, the second part of the game is for her to run as fast as she can into the dining area, as that's where her "lair" is, under the dining table. But one time, I had my leather mocassins on and they make a funny noise on the carpet. She almost jumped out of her skin, dropped the mouse and hid under the table. Part of it may have been that she was just so intent on taking her prey back to her lair that she didn't expect anything out of the ordinary, but I keep wondering if she may have had some bad experience that makes her apprehensive. She's way better than when I first got her though, and we're still working on it...

Marcia, have you had time to work on your commission?

Becca, what about your painting?

I had hoped to paint today, but I've instead spent a lot of time online in between a lot of organizing and cleaning. Eventually I'll have everything back in order.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 04-08-2018 at 06:29 PM.
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2018, 06:33 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Annie, not to the painting stage yet...drawing needs to dry more throughly and honestly am still fussing over a few aspects of it...now think it's there...but busy week ahead .. so, unless I just jump into it one night it will wait until next weekend...

and I get your day...they tend to fill up
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2018, 09:50 PM
Lord of the Arts
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Mocatel, next cat I get is going to be trained from kittenhood to be on a leash and enjoy car rides with me (maybe even be okay with riding about on my shoulders in stores).

Mary, thanks for the ideas, I am trying to find one paper to use for everything for lightening the load that I carry. Recently picked up some oil "samples" in tiny little jars that hold just a few ml of paint, perfect for a few little painting sessions outdoors.

Annie, I looked at the Canson Mixed Media sketchbook and I love their paper for dry media, but haven't really tried them for wet media yet. As you noted, I would probably need to treat it for oils, which is not something I have to do with this Crescent book. There are some interesting and unusual handling qualities with the Crescent RendR paper, but it's nothing that I cannot work around.

I like to carry a variety of media in my sketching bag for different amounts of time I might have available. That said, the heaviest part of carrying around all these different media tends to be the different surfaces I need to carry, with this RendR sketchbook I can just carry it and nothing else. Pretty exciting, but if I do put any more oil work in it I will need to have a second one for swapping out in the car or house so I can let the oil paint dry. . . or I could just cut the sheet out with a utility knife I guess (I carry one around for sharpening pencils and other stuff anyhow).

Delofasht
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2018, 10:28 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Mosc, I remember when you first got your kitten, and he's always been bold. I'm not sure which one of you has been boss all this time!

Aw, Delo, I wish I could do bacon, yum! -but there's too much salt in it for my heart condition. One of my favorite dishes is one I make with boiled elbows. I add salt-free crushed tomatoes, basil, garlic and oregano, and sweet relish. If any of you ever come down with heart disease, here's a tip on salt: Morton has a salt substitute that's sodium free and made with Potassium instead. But, even though it's a tasty substitute, it should be used sparingly, too.

Since I can't have bacon for breakfast, I boil an egg, peel it and slice it into a sandwich with mayonnaise.

I'm stretching the linen tomorrow for a new painting... but not for the paint-out. I'll take a smaller canvas for that. The one you all have so sweetly liked because of its softness, is sort of a cheat. I thought the scene was sort of boring, so I added the fisherman from memory. I do so like having live people or pets in my paintings. The man sponsoring the paint-out was not happy with me for adding the made-up human, so I sort of skulked away. Haven't seen him since, but it made me wonder if I'm fit for outdoor work...

Marcia, I saved the article about Arches Oil Paper, but I haven't gotten around to take the glass off my granddaughter's painting - I still need to do that one of these days, and get the cold wax job done.