WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2018, 05:16 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... April 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by e0marina
Hi All! I have a question that perhaps some of you will have advice on. I am pregnant and have been advised against using mineral spirits (Gamsol) during pregnancy and breast feeding. Are there other mediums that people like and use, that are similar and non-toxic? From what I'm reading, other non-toxic mediums seem to be vegetable or nut oils, which aren't necessarily suitable for the type of work I do (I do VERY thin washes, similar to a water color look / feel), so I need something that really thins paint and almost works like water. Any hot tips?

Thank you!!!
Hi e0marnina and welcome to WC! I'd follow Becca's advice to ask your doctor, but also wanted to direct you to ArtTreehouse. It's a online store where only non-toxic oil painting materials are sold. The owner is very helpful and could probably provide you with MSDS info on all of his products for you to show your doctor. It's not just OMS you should be concerned about, but many oil paints themselves are made from toxic pigments, although there are those, such as the ArtTreehouse ones, that are not. There are often some that are toxic and some that aren't within a given brand.

If your doctor nixes oil paints for the time being, you might consider gouache, which is an opaque watercolor, as another alternative. It produces results that appear much more like oil paints, although I don't believe it's possible to do the thin washes you mention. For that, maybe your best bet would be to use the new-ish Liquitex Heavy Body Cadmium-Free Acrylics, along with a glazing medium. I'd obtain the Liquitex MSDS on the products and again, run them by your doctor first.

Congrats on the little one that's soon to arrive! Whatever you and your physician decide to do, you're welcome to join us here, even during a temporary hiatus from oil painting if that's what must happen.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 04-06-2018 at 05:18 PM.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2018, 06:03 PM
Lord of the Arts
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by !becca
and btw... yes the model is me..

The best model tends to be the self, almost always willing to pose in whatever way is needed, generally stays put for photographs, and rarely argues.

Delofasht.deviantart.com
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2018, 06:10 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

True Delo...LOL...and rarely complains about the likeness...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2018, 06:53 PM
A WC! Legend

Welcome to wet canvas, e0marnina.

I think Becca and Annie covered most points, but you may want to try water soluble oils while you are pregnant and nursing, because I believe they mix with traditional oils and mediums as well. That way you won't lose your investment in materials when you go back to the traditional oils again.
https://www.thoughtco.com/mixing-wat...tional-2579391
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2018, 07:36 PM
Lord of the Arts
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

E0marnina, welcome to the forums and in regards to your desire for nearly liquid oil like properties, you may try Casein. It is a milk based paint that is less toxic than many things, having a lemony scent and handles a lot like oil right out of the tube, but dries a lot faster and is water soluble for very liquid results.

It is similar to Gouache in many respects, if a bit thicker out of the tube with slightly longer open time. The major difference between Casein and Gouache is that Casein will cure after a couple weeks and no longer be able to be activated by water at that point, where as Gouache will always be reactivated by water. I just ordered my basic palette of colors in Casein the other day (My wife insisted I do so), and am impatiently awaiting it’s arrival. I have been using Casein for underpainting for a bit over a year now (with 2 colors and white), using it as a fast drying layer to put my oil paints on top of. The colors are vibrant, opaque (mostly), and dry matte but can be buffed when fully cured to obtain a nice sheen.

As with any paint, avoid toxic pigments as every kind of paint can have those. I strongly suggest buying a few tubes of Casein and giving it a try if you have 15 or so dollars to spare. Read the FAQ from Shiva, and there is a link to a wonderful resource I found on Casein this past year in the Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera sub forum here on WC.

Marcia, definitely so much to do and so little time to do it in. It is the only resource I believe all artists feel like they do not have enough of: Time.

Delofasht.deviantart.com

Last edited by Delofasht : 04-06-2018 at 07:38 PM.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2018, 01:27 AM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

eOmarina, I remember painting while I was pregnant, but That was many years ago before we knew that it was dangerous.

If I were you, I would try watercolor, or if you don't want to do that, buy some sketch pads and colored pencils, so you can paint after you're finished with your pregnancy and nursing. Then you'll have a ton of references for when you get back into painting. But I do agree with Becca - ask your doctor what your options should be.

The nice part of sketching is that if you're thinking of eventually turning it into an oil painting, you'll have mastered the right look for it when you get ready to paint it.

I almost always have sketchpads with me, especially when I'm sitting in waiting rooms. My car tag says "sketch" and it fits nicely if I'm sitting around bored... like gallery-sitting on a wet day when nobody comes in...

#52   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2018, 09:56 AM
A WC! Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyMP
My car tag says "sketch" ....
Well how cool is that!?!?!?

Happy Caturday!!!

#53   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2018, 10:32 AM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Marcia, I have a title for your first Happy Caturday: "Why does Mom have to wash me all the time? Is she getting ready to eat me?"

Here it is in April, and we are getting our first snow of winter! I'm glad I got my roses covered - I don't know if snow is good for them at all.

#54   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2018, 02:12 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Marcia...happy urday

Nancy...

sorry for the snow...roses usually tolerate it well.
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2018, 02:37 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from European Union

Happy Caturday!

I went (with Muffin of course ) to paint plein air today and was well prepared to paint but returned home without a painting. It didn't work out at all for some odd reason. The view was pretty but light was difficult I guess. So, tonite I'm painting sheep to a landscape that is half done.

Marcia, your Caturday photos are so cute. I bet the little tiger cub didn't expect to meet big tongue when giving mom hug. Black panther is too cute!

Here's my Caturday photo: Muffin on the Atlantic road probably saying "again taking picture of me"

#56   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2018, 02:37 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

https://www.facebook.com/24245933044...5667450992066/
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2018, 06:52 PM
A WC! Legend

Awwww, Muffin the feline world traveler! That is a cool bridge, is it in Spain?

She would look fierce in that lion outfit in the video Becca shared.
Fiercely cute!
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2018, 08:17 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Mosc, Muffin has an interesting expression in that photo - sort of a "Well, mom's taking pictures of me again. Doesn't she know that I'm already world famous?!"

The National Cowboy Museum is having a plein air paint-out Sunday the fifteenth. It's supposed to be warmer weather by then, so I'm asking a friend if she would like to go with me. I hope she says yes, because I love going out painting with her. It will be so nice to get outside and get a painting started. It may even get finished, because the paint-out is from 1 to 4 pm. Then again, I always end up retouching the work when I get home. the only one I did and left alone was this one:

Fast and sloppy!

#59   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2018, 09:52 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Mosc...cool pic...

Nancy hope your friend comes to paint with you...your painting is soft...not sloppy...sometimes hard lines aren't important

I'm excited, have the drawing for my next painting done...this one should be fun...hoping it works out as I intend
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2018, 10:18 PM
Enthusiast
Oregon

Hails from United States

Happy Caturday. Not much going on here. My light is out in my art room. When my son gets back from Salem he will replace it.