WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2018, 10:29 PM
Enthusiast
Oregon

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... April 2018

Delo, What I have done when I want a larger picture is scan then print and cut the print into quarters then scan each quarter and print then piece the 4 together.
If you want even larger you might try cutting it into 9 pieces.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2018, 11:05 PM
Lord of the Arts
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Thanks for the idea Mary. That or a projector would be both effective ways to transfer my sketches to my working surfaces.

Wish Spring would finally decide to stick around now, have a few projects that require good weather. I kind of have an urge to do some plein air painting as well, which sure would be nice. It doesn’t even have to be really too warm just not freezing or so windy that my easel keeps getting knocked over (which it has been).

Delofasht.deviantart.com
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2018, 11:29 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Funny you say that Delo...riding back from the airport this evening plein air came to mind too...it's generally not my thing, but at the moment is appealing..

I just draw my drawings to my large (or any size) canvases with paint (thinned with turp)...seems to work out ok without tracing or projecting anything...just a thought...maybe I'll post a progression...did take project pics of my last...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2018, 12:54 AM
Lord of the Arts
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Becca, I would love to see your process. I tend to rely on my draftsmanship most the time for drawing from my sketches or references as needed, but I do like exploring other options as well, even if they may not be necessary.

Delofasht.deviantart.com
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2018, 02:08 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delofasht
Becca, I would love to see your process. I tend to rely on my draftsmanship most the time for drawing from my sketches or references as needed, but I do like exploring other options as well, even if they may not be necessary.
Delo, I think you have a pretty good eye, so here's another approach: grid off your canvas and the ref image (aame proportional grid, 8x10 or 9x12 squares, or whatever fits, for both original and canvas and then draw each square in the grid. Voila! You've got your image transferred. I often find this this the easiest way.

Becca, I'd like to hear about your process too.

Delo and Becca, yes it is funny, since I've been thinking of plein air lately too. Must be spring in the air that's doing it...

...Marcia, yes, the person you see on the screen is an illusion most of the time. But Nin was a novelist, so maybe that made it easier to be herself. I went to school with several movie kids, and most of them were very different than their screen personas, but some of that was all the ragging they took and wanting to be like everyone else. I also went to school with a very famous actor's youngest son, and he was bratty. Looking back on it, it must have been hard to be such a famous person's kid, so I feel sorry for him now. I like the Kluge a lot. I had never heard of him.

Question for everyone who has cats: are yours acting a little more crazy than usual? Pearl seems unusually wound up these days - suddenly running full speed through the living room to attack a puff ball, bouncing off the sofa, etc. - and I'm thinking it must be the longer and warmer days doing it.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by stapeliad : 04-06-2018 at 10:31 AM. Reason: edited per request
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2018, 02:47 AM
A WC! Legend

Annie, I think we all get spring fever! I noticed this morning that the birds were singing more voraciously than usual since I have moved here. That, along with having the windows open, my cats are just enraptured with what is going on 'out there'.

I have a friend who was a child actor, but he's lived out here in the desert nearly 30 years, so he has become pretty grounded. Still, sometimes the people around him can get pretty weird.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2018, 04:41 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Well...this one has evolved over time as I worked a little with the composition...the original drawing is from a few years back and when I brought it out could see what it needed...

and. I did a few small studies first as my male was from a black and white pencil sketch....also tried a few mixes of paint and decided on a limited palette...though often I include about twice the colour options..

Here are the stages I went through....

First I tint my canvas with some colour, never blue!, or white!...this is raw sienna...one of my favourites .. also like reds...

Then I just take a brush and thin my paint with turp and stroke in my drawing, often I shade darker areas as i have here...and sometimes even will lift paint for the lighter...and sometimes just use a line drawing...

And with this I started with the background as I was unsure if I would like it, many times the background is my last step, after the figure...

Name:  I used to dream 5.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  155.1 KB

Name:  I used to dream 4.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  154.7 KB

Name:  I used to dream 3.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  209.5 KB

Name:  I used to dream 2.jpg
Size:  208.4 KB

Name:  I used to dream.jpg
Size:  196.4 KB
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2018, 07:21 AM
Lord of the Arts
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Annie, gridding off the work certainly is an option, I kind of do that without the guides a lot of the time, making the measurements by pencil and hand estimation (usually get pretty close). Interestingly, one of the biggest problems I have ever encountered with any copying in general is a lack of transferring the rhythms from one section of an image to another. Copied line work often loses the line weight in the transfer, and likewise paintings lose the brush strokes, many times those being there to connect to something going on at the other side of the working surface. I suppose if I am ultra-aware of it, then I should be able to correct for the loss though.

Becca, thanks so much for the WIP shots and explanation. I always really enjoy seeing others’ processes, scoured these forums over the years for a look at many people’s working processes. Mine has evolved a bit over the years, having started initially in some other mediums. Really love sienna, red oxide, or dark brown sketches as a start, they really let some warmth show through to other layers as the work progresses or ages.

Delofasht.deviantart.com
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2018, 11:15 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Yes, Delo...I'v done the same at one time, learning other's methods.....and settled into what works for me...and it sounds you may take a similar path...it is true, the colour used to tint the canvas does come through in time, I always feel my paintings have matured at about 2 years...

Heres one over red, that after the drawing decided to paint a different mood...

Name:  painting resize.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  311.0 KB

Name:  painting 2resize.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  319.9 KB

sorry the drawing is so dark...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2018, 01:45 PM
Lord of the Arts
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Becca, I wish I had the freedom to spend more time exploring different approaches than I currently do. Really wish there was time to create an abstract style, but at this point in my life it's all commercial, commissioned, or project work. Likely to be that way for the next few years, but I try fit in as much exploration of abstractions into my surface preparation as I can as a kind of compromise. Your painting is quite moody indeed, the blues give a sense of thoughtful reflection and perhaps introspection, wonderfully handled and very emotionally stirring. A lot going on in it. I can sense the warmth of the underdrawing showing through though and creating some warmth throughout. Good model too, I need to spend a bit of time working on some models from life here in the next few month been using photographic reference for too long now (even that will need to be utilized for project work though, even my sketches are geared toward that anymore). Also, the drawing shows up well enough for me, definitely one of the benefits of having an Apple monitor (good tuning and controls for color display).

Delofasht.deviantart.com
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2018, 02:34 PM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!! (it is still morning, just barely, here on the left coast)

Becca, thanks for sharing your process with us. Since you paint so fast, do you wait for it to dry after stroking in the drawing, or just plunge right in?

Delo, I feel your pain when it comes to not having time to try new stuff. I can't believe it is almost noon already, and there are so many little tasks to get done! I am so glad for the lengthening days. There have been a few regular live modeling classes lately, but I simply do not have the time to go to one.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2018, 03:21 PM

Smile Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... April 2018

Hi All! I have a question that perhaps some of you will have advice on. I am pregnant and have been advised against using mineral spirits (Gamsol) during pregnancy and breast feeding. Are there other mediums that people like and use, that are similar and non-toxic? From what I'm reading, other non-toxic mediums seem to be vegetable or nut oils, which aren't necessarily suitable for the type of work I do (I do VERY thin washes, similar to a water color look / feel), so I need something that really thins paint and almost works like water. Any hot tips?

Thank you!!!
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2018, 03:38 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delofasht
Becca, I wish I had the freedom to spend more time exploring different approaches than I currently do. Really wish there was time to create an abstract style, but at this point in my life it's all commercial, commissioned, or project work. Likely to be that way for the next few years, but I try fit in as much exploration of abstractions into my surface preparation as I can as a kind of compromise. Your painting is quite moody indeed, the blues give a sense of thoughtful reflection and perhaps introspection, wonderfully handled and very emotionally stirring. A lot going on in it. I can sense the warmth of the underdrawing showing through though and creating some warmth throughout. Good model too, I need to spend a bit of time working on some models from life here in the next few month been using photographic reference for too long now (even that will need to be utilized for project work though, even my sketches are geared toward that anymore). Also, the drawing shows up well enough for me, definitely one of the benefits of having an Apple monitor (good tuning and controls for color display).
Thanks Delo...and good for you being able to fend a living from your talent, though it does't allow for the exploration you might like right now...I have not pursued a commission market, largely due to my former location.. it was very remote...also, tended to note when I painted someone other than myself they usually reacted less favourably to my interpretation of them, so have stayed with my autobiography one might say...and btw... yes the model is me..
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2018, 03:42 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Quote:
Becca, thanks for sharing your process with us. Since you paint so fast, do you wait for it to dry after stroking in the drawing, or just plunge right in?
Most of the time, because usually it is dry in a day or two although I have just painted into it...that is only when I'm very impatient...

Life models are great and the ultimate to work from...but did meet an artist in SF a few years ago (at his opening) and his paintings were priced well over $250,000.... and he used photos...he did hire models to come in but photographed them and painted from the photos..so anything goes...he has also written about 8 books...but at this moment don't recall his name
Becca's Fine Art my blog

Last edited by !becca : 04-06-2018 at 03:46 PM.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2018, 03:45 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by e0marina
Hi All! I have a question that perhaps some of you will have advice on. I am pregnant and have been advised against using mineral spirits (Gamsol) during pregnancy and breast feeding. Are there other mediums that people like and use, that are similar and non-toxic? From what I'm reading, other non-toxic mediums seem to be vegetable or nut oils, which aren't necessarily suitable for the type of work I do (I do VERY thin washes, similar to a water color look / feel), so I need something that really thins paint and almost works like water. Any hot tips?

Thank you!!!
this is a topic you need to explore throughly with your ob/gyn, but I would say personally to put the oils away until after the breastfeeding stops and find another medium...there are many...watecolour, pastels, pen and ink, possibly acrylics....but of course in the end the decision is yours.
Becca's Fine Art my blog