WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2018, 11:05 AM
A WC! Legend

Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... April 2018

If any of you would like to express an opinion, here is the thread:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...0#post21334780

Delo, you might consider a pico projector, if what you are saying is that you are wanting to transfer your sketches to canvas. I have one that I mount on a camera tripod, that reads SD cards.
It can also double as a movie projector if you want to show 'big screen' movies on the wall at night.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2018, 01:44 PM
Lord of the Arts
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Marcia, that's a good idea! I like the idea of watching movies on the wall too, though I think I'll need to pick up a white board because these walls are painted a muted tan color. Will still need a scanner for sketches too though, I do a lot of sketching traditionally still (to use up all my pencils and pens I have bought over the years).

Delofasht.deviantart.com
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2018, 01:55 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delofasht
Marcia, that's a good idea! I like the idea of watching movies on the wall too, though I think I'll need to pick up a white board because these walls are painted a muted tan color. Will still need a scanner for sketches too though, I do a lot of sketching traditionally still (to use up all my pencils and pens I have bought over the years).
Hey, Delo, I was curious too about a pico projector. I noticed over at Amazon they have a great deal right now: a coupon for 35% off a highly-rated pico projector which brings the price down to roughly $35 dollars. They only have two left though, and I don't know if you need a Prime membership to get the coupon. I also haven't done any research on pico projectors in general or this particular brand/model. Anyway, thought you might want to know about it...

FYI, I've found a regular-size scanner will work ok when used by scanning different parts of an image that's larger than the scan area and then stitching it all together. There are also some graphics program that have a "poster" function that will do that for you when you resize an image to larger than standard paper size.

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 04-03-2018 at 02:01 PM.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2018, 02:46 PM
A WC! Legend

That's a good deal on a projector Annie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
...There are also some graphics program that have a "poster" function that will do that for you when you resize an image to larger than standard paper size.
Photoshop will do that under File > Automate > Photomerge...

I had to use it when I needed to have really big prints made. It took a little practice, but I got the hang of it. Using a tripod, I took photos of different segments of a painting and then had the software merge it into one. It also adjusted for the slightly different camera angles of each shot.

Rather than use a scanner, you could clip your sketches to a panel, put the panel on an easel and use your camera on a tripod. I set mine for a 2 second shutter delay, so there is no camera shake when I press the button.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2018, 05:52 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
That's a good deal on a projector Annie.
It certainly is an incredibly good price, but although it's very tempting, I wasn't planning to purchase a projector, and it just isn't in the budget right now.

― Sir Thomas Browne

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2018, 09:10 PM
A WC! Legend

I got a start on the red vw painting today. I am not happy with it, but I never am when I start a landscape.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2018, 09:35 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Marcia , I hope your tooth is feeling a little better now - Ibuprofen is one of the few medicines my doc allows me to take - that plus a heating pad for my rheumatoid arthritis.

Your scene will make a beautiful painting! When I read how you were gong to do it, it was the same thing I would have done to make it more interesting, too.

Delo, it sounds like you're settling in nicely. Getting the painting stuff up and ready to go should always be the first thing to do. In my youth, when I realized that art wasn't gonna make me much money, I thought about becoming a lawyer because they seem to make a ton of money. Then, many years later, when I was at an art class that always had a model, I noticed that a lawyer kept coming in every week. It was always very quiet, except for models who liked to talk a little, and we had good music in the background.

The lawyer told me it that the only calm respite he enjoyed during his week of fusses and fights, was coming to the art class. I've finally discovered that even if I'm not rich, there's a richness in my life that I don't think I could ever do without.

Today's cryptoquote was for artists, and I love it!

"It is the function of art to renew our perception. What we are familiar with we cease to see." - Anias Nin

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2018, 10:18 AM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Thank you Nancy. The pain is gone, what a relief! I think the dentist was a little more aggressive than usual removing the old filling, and filling in a crack, in order to save it (if it starts bothering me, he said it will require a root canal). It is also the last molar just behind a porcelain bridge that was done when I was a teenager, so I don't want to lose it.

Love the cryptoquote, I always mean to read something of Anias Nin. I hardly have tome to read at all these days. There is probably something by her among all of these books.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2018, 11:09 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Nancy, I was in a hurry and, becoming focused on Marcia's new desert painting, skipped over your nude. It's a lovely painting, the composition really works well, and I'm sure it will sell quickly! So why not put it up now? I think that even (especially?) in cool weather people like to dream about summer.

Marcia, that last mock up of the composition that was posted is more or less what I had recommended, but please, please, do not remove the distant mountains! It becomes a different sort of place and not anywhere near as interesting without them - I'm not sure why he/she recommended removing them, except perhaps the difference in color. But if you bring some of the blue violets into the rest of the nearer landscape, I think the problem will be solved. It wouldn't surprise me to find the scene has a special significance to your client, and so sticking to the recognizable scene is probably wise, imho. I'd advise to keep the basic elements there, even if you change the light quality. The advice about how the subject of the painting should be the largest isn't always true in my view. Sometimes contrast can make a focal point dominate and I think the color contrast offered by the red of the van does the trick. And don't worry, you'll do fine with this painting.

I'm making these suggestions here because I'm having a problem with WC logging me out when I try to go to other forums, and I'm tired of fussing with trying to get back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyMP
I've finally discovered that even if I'm not rich, there's a richness in my life that I don't think I could ever do without.
Beautifully put, Nancy, and so true.

When I was at the university, one of my good friends was an English literature major, and we both enrolled in a video production class. One of her Lit professors was making a documentary about Anais Nin, who was then in her 70s. She asked my friend to help her produce a short video documentary, and my friend asked me to help. So I had the chance to meet Nin in person. Even in her 70s, she was beautiful and had incredible presence. And she lived in a Neutra-designed house in Silverlake (in LA) which was also beautiful. The swimming pool was designed so the water appeared to disappear into the sky (it really just fell off an edge on the far side)- an infinity pool. When I was young she was a favorite author of mine.

Yesterday, I took advantage of some sunny (or at least non-rainy) weather to do a massive clean up of my veggie garden in preparation for spring planting. It's 95% done and it feels great to have it almost completed. I had to sling huge bags of compost and potting soil around - they had absorbed moisture from the earlier rain and so were very, very heavy - and I'm feeling it in my muscles today, but not as much as I had feared. I was very careful to lift from the legs not the back and I think that made a difference. In Fall, I always say I won't do it again - too much trouble - but then something happens when Spring comes and I can't wait to get started!

― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 04-04-2018 at 11:20 AM.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2018, 02:17 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

[quote=AnnieA]Nancy, I was in a hurry and, becoming focused on Marcia's new desert painting, skipped over your nude. It's a lovely painting, the composition really works well, and I'm sure it will sell quickly! So why not put it up now? I think that even (especially?) in cool weather people like to dream about summer.[UNQUOTE]

If I had enough room in the gallery, it might sell. Right now, because I only have a little space in the back room because of my medical inability to do gallery duty on a regular basis. I have sold quite a few paintings from the back room, and as soon as the weather here is not blowing me off my feet, I'll try to get stronger with long walks and other exercises. I really need to get back to the work.

How wonderful that you got to meet Anais Nin! I knew from her work that she had to be beautiful! However old she was, her beauty shone through her work.

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2018, 11:39 AM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Annie, what sort of personality did Anais Nin have? Prickly, haughty, warm, outgoing, reserved?

Nancy, I hope room can be made for your Last Mermaid. It is one of your best.

I had the most remarkable day yesterday. BF and I went to visit his sister and her husband from Maine, who were visiting his parents in Redlands, about 1 hour away from where we live. They are by no means obscenely wealthy, but he is a retired surgeon (aged 85), and they bought their large Federalist style house in the 1950s relatively cheaply, and have not had an increase in their property tax since the 1970s. So it is a fairly sumptuous dwelling on 3 acres, not far from a busy boulevard, but so surrounded by mature trees and ground cover, so that it seems quite secluded.

When we pulled into the driveway, there was an enormous statue of Prudence, that looked like it would have been at home at the Huntington Library. When his practice took off in the '60s, he bought some really beautiful art, including a couple 17th century Dutch paintings by Otto van Veen. Funny thing is, this was in my newsfeed this morning:
https://news.artnet.com/art-world/ot...g-iowa-1259579

There were also some impressionists, and some primitive early American pieces. The yard was a combination of manicured lawn surrounded by the less maintained area I mentioned before. It was truly like being in a small gem of an art museum, and the in laws were just the nicest people.

They said that at one time, they had a Gainsborough, a Romney, and a Sargent!

Life is full of surprises.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2018, 12:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Marcia, that sounds fantastic, what a treat to get to visit such a place.

Nancy, too true about the wonderfully rich lives we lead though. I worked in computers for awhile when I was growing up (family business). While enjoyable in it's own way, I had found myself very depressed and constantly seeking ways to relax and enjoy life. When I found that I really enjoyed drawing and painting it helped so much with my mental state, and should have been a cue to me then that I needed to do it for a living. Took me another decade before I realized that. Last night I went to sleep completely content with life and with none of the anxiety I used to have years back. Had not really noticed that until you mentioned the quality of our lives as artists.

Really been focusing on filling up pages in my sketchbook recently, when not painting, because I got some new ones that I want to be more specific than my random sketchbook. Totally ran out of my budget for art supplies though, and had really hoped to buy some tubes of Casein. . . guess it has to wait till next order.

Delofasht.deviantart.com
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2018, 02:26 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Marcia, I struggled to find the words, but the closest I can come is that Nin's personality was a mixture of dignified, open and curious. Somehow I don't usually think of those all occurring in just one personality! It sounds like the visit to your BF's family was an extraordinary experience. But too bad they no longer have the Sargent!

Delo, good for you for finding - and following - your passion. Computers can be fun but don't compare to art-making.

― Sir Thomas Browne

#29   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2018, 08:21 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Delo, I was lucky enough to be born into a family of artists: two of my sisters and my mother. My brother would have been a good artist, too, but he married a girl with four kids from a first marriage, and she had another with him. With all the kids to take care of she couldn't take a job, So he settled in as a college geography professor.

I remember a painting of a lion he did, and it was lovely!

Annie and Marcia, thanks for the compliment, but since I only have a small space in the gallery, I already have it filled up. But next month, when we won't be getting snow and ice tomorrow, I think a nude might be more appealing! The weather guy says it's going to be so cold tomorrow that we'll need to cover our plants, so I'm taking some plastic sheets out right away to cover my roses... and dang it, I was hoping I would be able to take some outdoor walks, but the wind is still so bad that I can't bear it.

I hope next weekend will start "spring" again!

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2018, 08:56 PM
A WC! Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA
Marcia, I struggled to find the words, but the closest I can come is that Nin's personality was a mixture of dignified, open and curious. Somehow I don't usually think of those all occurring in just one personality! It sounds like the visit to your BF's family was an extraordinary experience. But too bad they no longer have the Sargent!

Thank you for the description, Annie. I often wonder what some people's personality type is. Sometimes the celebrity is quite different than the person. I think I would have like to have met her.

2 of the paintings I remember well were by Constantin Kluge https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantin_Kluge
one very similar to this one:

Nancy, I hope springs comes back to you soon! My mom in Nebraska got 6" of snow on Easter morning, but it didn't stay, thank goodness.

I didn't get much painting done, due to interruptions, but I got some done. I am finding this one a challenge, so don't mind taking it slow.