WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#166   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2018, 10:47 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... April 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMark
Two pretty coffee mugs Becca but I cant tell what it is supposed to be.

The gold flecks are kinda funny though
Mark....thought it was obvious...they are 'vulva cups'...marketed for $125/each and up...

Your WiPs are great...you have a lovely distinctive style...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #167   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2018, 11:26 AM
A Local Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by !becca
Mark....thought it was obvious...they are 'vulva cups'...marketed for $125/each and up...

Vulgar Cups indeed,

Thanks !
  #168   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2018, 12:18 PM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

One of the fads I really dislike is art for the sake of shocking people. The only thing that shocks me is how bad most of it is. I find those cups rather humorous. One thing I walked away with the other day, was a lack of desire to be represented by any of the galleries I visited.

Mark, the landscape, judging by your style, looks nearly complete. The nude looks familiar, either posted before, or a new one of the same model?
  #169   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2018, 01:37 PM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtpalms
Good Morning Oilycats!!!

One of the fads I really dislike is art for the sake of shocking people. The only thing that shocks me is how bad most of it is. I find those cups rather humorous. One thing I walked away with the other day, was a lack of desire to be represented by any of the galleries I visited.

Mark, the landscape, judging by your style, looks nearly complete. The nude looks familiar, either posted before, or a new one of the same model?
Heh...oh I really know what you mean about art for the sake of shocking people! I'd been an art/design major since junior high school, but then someone brought in a small sculpture - a piece of sh**, encased in plastic with the American flag dripping down the side - to my university crit class. The instructor thought it was wonderful!!! I left the art department.* It wasn't that I was offended so much as I thought it wasn't very clever or note-worthy - kinda trite and self-indulgent, really. There's no need to hit people over the head with your ideas! (*To be absolutely fair, there were other reasons unrelated to art or this incident.)

Mark, nice work on the WIP, looks almost done from where I sit. I too recognize either the painting or the model. Do you work in a life workshop, or do you hire your own model?

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 04-16-2018 at 01:44 PM.
  #170   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2018, 01:57 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Marcia...maybe the cups would have been more humorous to me if they had incorporated a penis as the handle...!!!... I think they were supposed to be a statement about women's autonomy...and yes not anatomy...but felt they were in poor taste in general...and seriously is not an item I would want in my collection...So..like you, have quit knocking on the door of such galleries, and so far that is nearly all of them...here anyway....

Annie, as to your experience, too bad the instructor was so off course.

a little disappointed I didn't paint this weekend...somewhere along the way seem to have simply worn out, need to get my energy back in order to do the canvas justice...it will come...sorta busy week, but have significant appointment on Thursday that once past may be for the better...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #171   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2018, 08:19 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Whew, finally getting ready to get a bit of sleep maybe. I just got back from going to the storage some 650 miles away, loading it all up, and driving it back home. What a long weekend, absolutely exhausting, two 12 to 14 hour drives in 3 days take a toll.

Well at least I am home now, with my actual bed again, comfortable, cozy, and warm. Best part is I have all my art supplies again, and while I was down there I picked up an entire roll of Canson C’ a Grain paper for 5$ in a clearance corner of Hobby Lobby (had to stop in while I was there). So guess I am going to have to make a huge collection of sketchbooks or something and fill them all up. It is fairly nice paper, not my favorite perhaps (would need to be much heavier to become that), but the texture is amazing for sketching on.

Delofasht
  #172   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2018, 09:35 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

welcome home Delo....well done with the paper find.
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #173   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2018, 10:17 PM
A WC! Legend

Glad you made it there and back without mishap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delofasht
...while I was down there I picked up an entire roll of Canson C’ a Grain paper for 5$ in a clearance corner of Hobby Lobby.

Someone in woye had made a portrait using Sanden's 29 Steps. Having seen her struggle with portraits before, I was so impressed with her results, I ordered it myself. I received it today, and am very happy with my decision. I especially like the detail on his color mixes. Wish I could order up more days in the week for all of the projects I have plans for.
  #174   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2018, 11:44 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Marcia..glad you are happy with the instructional...when I started I worked with Lipking and Gehartz pallets and followed their instructional...then took a path of my own keeping them in mind all along...not saying I'm doing the same as they are, but found value in the tutorials...I do think they are some of the best portrait/figure artist of our time and also handle light in amazing ways...they also focus much on colour temp...find that fascinating....
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #175   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2018, 02:35 AM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delofasht
...while I was down there I picked up an entire roll of Canson C’ a Grain paper for 5$ in a clearance corner of Hobby Lobby.

I'm saving the name, too, Delo. I need to get away from all the house cleaning I've been for my Massachusetts children, so I'll hop over to Hobby Lobby and buy some: it sounds great!

Becca, I don't think you hit the right galleries if they're as salacious and low-minded that they think filth is art. Frankly, I think it's an insult to the art world. I would be embarrassed to have cups like that in my kitchen.

And before some of you think I'm old fashioned, here's one of my most favorite paintings of a lovely nude:

#176   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2018, 02:41 AM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Mark, you have really enhanced your paintings in the time you were away from us - this is beautiful...

#177   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2018, 03:16 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Nancy, no ... I don't think you are old-fashioned or narrow-minded...and seriously I think most galleries here unfortunately fall into this arena...its an unfortunate truth...
of course your nude is still lovely....
and have fun with your family when they arrive
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #178   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2018, 10:52 AM
New York City

Hails from United States

Those cups are awful.

Nance I remember that painting!!

Quote:
Someone in woye had made a portrait using Sanden's 29 Steps. Having seen her struggle with portraits before, I was so impressed with her results, I ordered it myself. I received it today, and am very happy with my decision.

I had to look it up.
Yes, her results are lovely...so I looked up the book, and Amazon informed me I purchased a copy back in 2011. When I get home I'm going to look thru my bookcase and find it to have another look.

Honestly I think I'm getting stupid or something...I always have to check now to see if I already have a book that catches my eye....because I just don't recall at all. I can't remember anything.

Thank goodness amazon remembers...has saved me from a lot of multiple purchases.

#179   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2018, 11:55 AM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Nancy, that is a lovely nude, I remember it as well.

Jessicat, you are not alone. Amazon has saved me many times, but usually when I need to reorder something. I ordered a 3 wick candle last fall and mislaid it. Still haven't found it.
  #180   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2018, 11:57 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

I know Jess...and was a little stunned they seriously were on that galleries FB feature for at least a month...???...

I tend to make repeat purchases too...but too often I don't have the heads up on it...
Becca's Fine Art my blog