WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2018, 07:38 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter As the Oily Rag Burns..... April 2018

Spontaneous combustion in this thread!!! Post your non-oil works...photos..or just come and chat...Everyone is welcome...!!!
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2018, 11:14 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States
Re: As the Oily Rag Burns..... April 2018

Good morning and Happy Easter to all those who celebrate!

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2018, 12:54 PM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2018, 11:10 PM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Ooo, how nice! Rabbits with a kitten to boot!

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2018, 11:17 PM
Lord of the Arts
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

New month, very busy start already. This week I have appliances coming in for my new apartment, boxes to unpack, and a trip to plan so I can go get the rest of my stuff from storage. People really celebrate their holidays, I sometimes forget since I kind of stopped celebrating them years ago.

Becca, I like the painting, immediately makes me think Adam is all like, “Hey there, pretty lady, you come to this tree often?”

Annie, well I do not know if life is really getting better or not, to be honest, just different than it was not too long back. Went out to Kentucky to visit my mother in law, who’s health is starting to decline (more doctor visits, thus more help needed with commuting), ended up moving here. Not at all close to where I was in Maryland, but I don’t really mind, I can work from anywhere I have internet and coffee (and honestly I can live without the internet). Pretty happy here right now, pretty low cost of living overall, and I ended up with a small apartment in Georgetown. Everything is basically within walking distance if I don’t mind a 15 to 20 minute walk (which I do not, unless it is snowing/raining). That said, I will probably buy a bicycle, because it is so much faster and good exercise.

Where the future takes me I have no idea, but I have a lot of work to do, that much is certain. Soon as I save up a bit though (probably a couple years), I think I am going to head up to Canada, have a lot of friends that live up there now and all of them are awesome.

Delofasht
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-01-2018, 11:32 PM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Delo...thanks.. and btw...I inteded to end up in Ca as well...not as easy as it looks I found....in order to be let in as an artist needed to be 'world class' and that is a variable difficult to prove..boils down to needing to make lots of money at the trade...

Hope everyone had a good day...

this laid in my hall all day...

Name:  Easter resize.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  245.9 KB

then I finally decided to claim it this evening...

Name:  Easter2 resize.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  244.7 KB

I now have a chocolate stash...
“Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined.” ........ “Not till we are completely lost or turned around... do we begin to find ourselves.” ........ “All good things are wild and free.” ........ “This world is but a canvas for our imagination.” ...... "Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.” Henry David Thoreau
Becca's Fine Art my blog

Last edited by !becca : 04-01-2018 at 11:36 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2018, 02:50 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States

Marcia, awww, cute little bicycle riders!

Becca, nice! A good chocolate stash is an absolute necessity for a happy life.

Delo, did you mean to say that you've moved to KY? Best wishes with the unpacking and other tasks still remaining. A bicycle sounds like a good idea as does walking as much as possible. We have bike sharing here, and one can find a bike easily and ride it wherever for only $1 or so. Very cool.

Lots of excitement here in the last couple of days! Besides a lovely Easter service this morning, I saw two movies (Isle of Dogs and Ramen Heads), saw an amazing moonrise last night (I may post some photos later), experienced three massive hail storms today (I also may post video later). I actually got hailed on while on the bus (the vent in the roof was open)! And - this is very best news!!! - I finally sold my soft pastel collection to someone who bought the entire thing. Yay! The prices I set for the items I had for sale were low to start with, and I gave a $100 discount for the bulk purchase, and even threw in an Albert Handell book, so she got an excellent deal. Although if I had sold everything separately I would have gotten more money, I think it quickly would have turned into a nightmare of mailings and meetings and hours spent following up, so I'm very happy with the deal myself too. And I like the buyer, and found that was surprisingly important to me. I really loved those soft pastels - the colors were just so gorgeous and I'm actually missing them a little - so I guess it was good to feel they've gone to someone who will really appreciate them. Here I am getting silly about inanimate art supplies, eh? But I bet some of you relate to the experience...

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 04-02-2018 at 03:08 AM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2018, 09:31 AM
Lord of the Arts
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Becca, I expect getting in to Canada to be difficult, the website clearly states they are not looking for more artists. It is a challenge worth working for though, far too many benefits that outweigh anything I have seen here in the US.

Annie, yes I have moved to KY, kind of miss Maryland but it really is get pretty here too, which is nice. Started looking for a bike here because of all the bikes on the side of the roads, maybe they have a bike share as well, but I would still prefer to own one. I enjoy modifying mine to suit my tastes, add storage spaces, extra foot holds for when I am cruising downhill and a few other things. Congratulations on finding a good home for your pastels, I still have a very small selection of them that need to get put to use for toning some surfaces. Also, it is not odd at all to have that deep connection to some art supplies, many have been with us a number of years and we have more interaction with them then many of the things people might fill their homes with that they get sentimental over. Perfectly natural, my colored pencils have been with me for years, and even though I use them a lot less frequently than I used to, they will come with me until they are used up (or I die, whichever comes first).

Delofasht
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2018, 09:52 AM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

Annie, looking forward to seeing pics and video! It was overcast here the last 3 nights, so the moon was just a glow through a thin veil of clouds. To be honest, they can have their blue moons and super moons, etc. I find the most important ingredient to a perfect moonrise (besides clear skies, duh), is the local atmosphere. Sometimes the moon is bright yellow, other times deep orange. Unfortunately that, and unusually spectacular sunsets, are usually the result of wildfires.

I think our art materials are extensions of ourselves since we use them to release our creativity, so I don't find it unusual to be wistful, or even a little grief stricken when they are no longer with us. Congrats on selling the pastels and finding a good home for them. Your patience paid off.

Delo, Maryland and Kentucky are both beautiful places. I need to start riding my bike again, it has been far too long. Once I get past the 1/2 mile of rough road, I have smoooth pavement to ride on! The first 400 yards is dirt, then the rest is potholed, which makes driving kinda rough, but I think I can navigate the holes on a bike.

And I have something to legitimately complain about on this Moansday: I have to have a filling replaced today. The dentist said I also needed to replace another filling with a crown some day soon, so I think I might try going to Mexico for that. There's even a guy who organizes trips for it around here and recommends hotels and restaurant and such.

And the plumbing we did on the irrigation system could not be tested until it was all glued together, and it has one tiny leak. So we have to take it all out and start over. I did figure out that we can do it with one less valve, so that's good.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2018, 10:02 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Delo...I do wish you luck...and seriously have not completely given up myself...would be my fate to be a commercial flop...but perhaps you will have greater luck....and they do modify the immigration laws on a regular basis, so never say never...

Marcia...good luck with the dentistry...I also have a dental thingy that needs attention now as well....have been referred to both Mexico and Costa Rica for medical by one doc here...if you go give a full report...
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2018, 01:25 AM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Marcia, I try to avoid dentists, but let's face it - we all need them. I hope it's not painful for you.

Delo, my mother was born in Kentucky, and when I was little, we all went up to see the big two-story house on a hill where she lived. I thought it was beautiful there.

Becca, I had no idea that Canada was some kind of mecca for artists - I thought you had a friend there and that's why you wanted to be there!

I need to figure out what paintings I want to take to the gallery on Thursday. It's cooler here than usual, so I don't think I'll bring any nudes at least.

Here's my latest one - I call it "The Last Mermaid."

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2018, 01:27 AM
WC! Guide
Central Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Sorry, I didn't mean to get the photo in twice. Sometimes I think I'm getting dumber by the minute!

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2018, 01:33 AM
A WC! Legend
?????

Hails from United States

Nancy, I have loads of friends there, but Canada is a great place for artists...it stole my heart....

Your painting is beautiful...good luck whatever you take to the gallery.
Becca's Fine Art my blog
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2018, 10:33 AM
A WC! Legend

Good Morning Oilycats!!!

The procedure went well, but once the numbing wore off, the tooth seems to ache a little, which it didn't before. I hope it is just a little inflamed and the pain will go away. Ibuprofen seems to take care of it, so I am hoping...

Quote:
Originally Posted by !becca
have been referred to both Mexico and Costa Rica for medical by one doc here...if you go give a full report...
Costa Rica seems a bit far to go (unless you want more of a vacation experience). Direct flights from Portland to San Diego are cheap and short, and there is at least one dental office that will pick you up at the SD airport!

My calendar is empty today, so I am planning on getting started on the first commissioned painting. I do have a compositional question though, so I think I will post a thread about it.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-03-2018, 10:40 AM
Lord of the Arts
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Nancy that is a lovely painting, wonderful concept and execution. Really like the format and composition, so often people just follow the usual formulas of thirds or whatever anymore.

Got my internet installed today, glad to have it back. Now I just need to get a scanner again so I can scan my drawings again. . . would love to get a larger format scanner so I could do big paintings. Gotta get back over to my easel too, set it up yesterday and immediately threw some paint on a palette to mess around with for a bit (and make me feel more at home). So much paint left on the palette. . . maybe I will sketch something with the left over paint.

Delofasht