WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Composition and Design
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-22-2017, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Calabasas, CA

Hails from United States
Speaking of background, ...

Hi guys! I'm new on the block.
Here I have an underpainting, admittedly, too colorful, too drab and it is also unbalanced on the left, (as usual) So I think I need a background to help things out. The color too needs direction but I would like to maintain some of the flavor of the pinks in "Pink Lady".
She is derived from a live model, with obvious tweeks to make her dance.
Please destroy me with your harshest critique! I love it.
PatrickName:  PinkLady.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  320.7 KB
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2017, 02:16 AM
A WC! Legend
Alberta, where coyotes look both ways before crossing the highway

Hails from Canada
Re: Speaking of background, ...

if anatomy/perspective is important to you her right arm should be shorter and it's shoulder pushed back. one or the other hand could be flipped up vs both flipped downward, for aesthetics.
as for background, it appears to be the beginnings of growth next to water ... you could build that up while still leaving it foggy ... what's the story you're trying to tell tho, what time of day .. what level of reality ... that's what will give you the answers

this is oils, right? what size?

la
Latin, German, Serbian, Bengali, Icelandic, Brazilian, Italian, Filipino, Swedish, Romanian, Lithuanian, Hindi/Urdu, Hungarian, Latvian, Hebrew, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, French,Greek
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2017, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Calabasas, CA

Hails from United States

La, hmmm, ...
I'll try to answer your questions, ...
This comp. started from a charcoal from life. I suppose "dance" and "seduction" are a theme here. I should re-title it "The Dancer"
You are right about the arm of course.
I remember the "Pink Lady" (a nude) painted above a tunnel in Maibu canyon in L.A. on a large (20' ?) rock cliff when I was a kid. The city painted her out since she was a distraction to drivers. Too bad. I think Thats a part of the story here.
I'm going to let this one sit for a while until it speaks to me.
Thnx for your critique.
Patrick
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2017, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Calabasas, CA

Hails from United States

I was rather unhappy with the way in which this painting was going. Here then is my second attempt. Still just an underpainting. I think to surround her with sea-birds as she dances along the beach would make her even more lovely. (Am I delusional or what?)
The bottom of her left butt-cheek should come down just a bit, I think.Name:  Dancer.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  226.6 KB
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2017, 06:46 PM
Mississippi Gulf Coast

Hails from United States

Yes, just a bit, and perhaps a slight revision to her cheek/jaw. The hair, in the first, feathered forward as well as back, giving her a frothy-fru-fru ‘do, giving her a playful, dream-like quality that I really liked. I also loved the flowers and buds sprouting from her back! Both versions work well; it just depends on what you want.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-23-2017, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Calabasas, CA

Hails from United States

Thanks for your supportive comments, guys, but you know it's funny, I have abandoned this piece. Her back has too much sway, her hands are a bit strange, and It all turned into an anatomy review for me. I have moved on to bigger and better things (I hope) but my dream is to be able to create figures from scratch, it has been a hard dream to realize.
Practice makes perfect tho, I suppose.
Patrick
p.s. Here is a current whip, same criteria, invented figure and comosition. I think I need to turn her head a bit.
Name:  SeaNymph.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  85.8 KB
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrkgmc
Thanks for your supportive comments, guys, but you know it's funny, I have abandoned this piece. Her back has too much sway, her hands are a bit strange, and It all turned into an anatomy review for me. I have moved on to bigger and better things (I hope) but my dream is to be able to create figures from scratch, it has been a hard dream to realize.
Patrick
p.s. Here is a current whip, same criteria, invented figure and comosition. I think I need to turn her head a bit.
Attachment 850953
I have stacks of abandoned art work from years ago (started painting 35 years ago) that I have now completed. My failures were a biting scourge in my younger art days. Art is in the eye of the beholder and not the artist. What I though off as dismal failures back then were regarded by others as just unfinished work.

Using my old old eyes and squishy brain after squinting at your painting my first question is “...Did you capture the light?...” I say this because I completed many paintings by adjusting the light/contrast alone.

Let me start with the octopus that leads the viewer in. I must admit I thought your octopus(pus) was ,at first, rock with a shell on it. I do not see shadows defining the pus or the midground darks contrast with the pus making him menacing in the foreground. Then there is kind of a redish grayish blur half circle on the puses right side? Anyway in light as strong as you paint it that pus might have more shadow/contrast to be in the foreground? And I know in this type of painting that can give too many hard edges. But I would tweak the left side of that pus and the rocks behind him.

Here is what I redid with photoshop to see what light/contrast can do...

The tools I used in photoshop were 1. Auto light/contrast 2. Increase stop (treated it as a photo) 3. Played with depth of field. All gibberish for change the light, contrast and background.

So what was my objective in doing a photoshop? I do it to determine if the paint tone of the fore ground, mid ground and background separate enough to give me light, dark and contrast on key points of my composition.

What I am seeing from the contrast photo is many colors in the background are too dark. Look at the left side of the photo. The Tone values next to the girl in the back ground are the same as in the water or darker. This brings your background into the fore ground. Or did you mean for that to be a big wave in the mid ground ready to pummel her if so the wave needs more definition)? I might suggest darkening her up and lightening up the back ground

You said destroy you. If I could have painted women half that good in youth. I would have had my paintings in every bar in town and women lined up to get on my canvases! It is why I paint in WC today and I am relearning how to do the oils of my youth...
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Patrick
Attachment 850953
Then I took one last set of Photo shop AUTO adjustments. I do these with my paintings match up with photo shop. This process often jump starts me in a new direction.

So here is what I did. Loaded your Painting. Used Auto Tone...Auto Contrast...Auto Color...The I hit the levels adjustment button with Mid-tones darker, Blue auto adjust and Green auto adjust (I left red alone). Here is what came out...

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-28-2017, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Calabasas, CA

Hails from United States

I will agree, photoshop is a big help to me, I use it often, layers, masks, gradations etc, ...
This peice I left behind because I needed a serious anatomy review, and the theme here was to invent figures. Ah well, back to the drawing board, ..
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I will agree, photoshop is a big help to me, I use it often, layers, masks, gradations etc, ...
This peice I left behind because I needed a serious anatomy review, and the theme here was to invent figures. Ah well, back to the drawing board, ..

Ptrkgmc, I mulled over your painting - which I like very much (since I cannot paint that good) - about possible fixes. And then with a brain fart in the middle of the night they started flowing....

Since you are in the water have a wave crash over the back of the rock behind the girl and octopus. This will send streaming white foam in back of the octopus’s head. Just let some of the foam drip through that area. Then all along those foam strips darken up the rock. Likes have that crashing foam offset the girl.

And no her back does not sway too much. The last girl I tried to paint came out in the Frankenstein family. Just remember if any in art police come after you that I said you have artistic license...
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-29-2017, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Calabasas, CA

Hails from United States

Stay tuned, I am in negotiations with my inner artiste, I will post, ...
Thank You Rabbitone,
It is an excellent sugestion, boldly go, ...