WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Art Journals
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2011, 01:02 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
Re: Sketch Book Reviews

Jamie- I just re-read your info on lack of sizing making the soft paper not wash so well with inks and etc. Ooooh. I thought I was confused. I have a few sketchbooks that didn't wash "quite right" and now I know why! Info is power (or at least it is info). Thanks.

I am sad to report that a recent purchase of a fave hard-spiral book has failed the Test of Addicts. Harrumph. Other sketchbooks of this brand were great, very enjoyable soft feel, classy black covers, dirt cheap. But this time the perforations are NOT "micro-perforated" and the cuts were 3 times bigger than before. Thus the first pages began falling out as soon as I turned the page! (This product comes shrink wrapped so one can't see this before purchasing.) But I will report this thru the store and see if it can be corrected. I bet it can be. Shall omit the brand name, lest it be too negative or this was a one time problem.

It is hard to take a leap of faith on shrinkwrapped paper products. How do you check the feel & color? And it seems most paper comes in micro-perforated, or am I wrong here?? I don't like any perfs to be quite frank about it. I like to relook my pages and notes and they do start loosening after much use. o well. Back to the drawing board (pun intended). I guess we just need to buy from a store with gracious return-policies.

Last edited by CandAlArt : 03-20-2011 at 01:07 AM.
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2011, 08:57 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

pezk, I ended up making my own journal/sketchbook with the HP paper that I like to use. I've found book binding to be a fun project as well and will continue.

Candace, tho' I love having a spiral bound sketchbook to be able to flip the balance of the book behind what I'm working on. I do not like the perforated paper that seems to be the norm in those. But, the stitch bound books don't want to open fully. I'm experimenting in making my own books for that reason among others.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2011, 11:22 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Debby, yes, the plastic wrappers keep you from testing the open-flat-ability on hardbound. So, this thread is great for getting other artists' experience. I tried a hand.book.journal by reputation and clearance pricing and it opens very flat.

The other leather-like small hardbound (Art of Drawing???) was similar- pricey* but on clearance, but opens nicely flat. Others I check in stores that aren't wrapped, and are pretty low priced, also don't look like they will ever open flat, or worse yet, seem glued instead of stitched. So I have begun to think we get what we pay for- like $$ for better pigments in paint. Same concept for paper? Maybe.

I think you can't beat hardbound for public use when you don't want to look obvious. Especially the smaller sizes.

*By the way-My threshold for "pricey" is pretty cheap-skatey.

PS: How do you know a hand made book will open flat- the method of stitching??

Last edited by CandAlArt : 03-20-2011 at 11:25 PM.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2011, 11:37 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

I'm still experimenting with the stitching. The open spine book I made with the ribbons did open flat. I just made a little 3x5 book and by not having a board along the spine, just having the cloth cover the spine it opens up flat. So part of it is if the spine is hard (there is a board covering the spine) or not as in a Hand.book or a Moleskine.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2011, 12:29 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

OH! I see it on mine! (the spine) Thanks! And maybe that is part of the huge popularity of Mole's? I read so many "complaints" that folks don't really like the paper, but maybe that is because they are using the wrong type of Mole?? I see there are a number to choose from. A few hundred years in business says something for them .
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2011, 04:26 PM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDebby
Candace, tho' I love having a spiral bound sketchbook to be able to flip the balance of the book behind what I'm working on. I do not like the perforated paper that seems to be the norm in those. But, the stitch bound books don't want to open fully. I'm experimenting in making my own books for that reason among others.

Hm. . . I don't recall perforations on my wirebound sketchbooks that I am using right now. I will check all of mine now when I get home and see if any have perforations.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2011, 05:37 AM
A WC! Legend
england

Hails from England

i hate perforated pages in sketchbooks and don't buy them

I don't quite get the reason for them - it's so easy to cut a page out with a craft knife if you want to.

I've got a couple of Fabriano A3 ish sketchpads with lovely heavy paper and the large spiral binding - I find that a nuisance as it works loose and the pages come adrift - I'm forever having to bend them closed again.

MY WEBSITE:http://vivienblackburn.com MY BLOG:http://vivienb.blogspot.com/ ETSY for original paintings http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6150568
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2011, 09:40 AM
A Local Legend
California

Hails from United States

The only two sketchbooks I have with perforations (checked the all, used and unused!) are a used/filled small one by Art Alternatives and that one is not wirebound. And a used/filled ProArt 9 x 12 that IS wirebound. . .never noticed the perfs when I was using that one, I guess. But its not high on my list as one I'd buy again anyway though.

Last edited by RainySea : 03-25-2011 at 09:44 AM.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2011, 09:03 AM
A WC! Legend
Cumbria

Hails from United Kingdom

just found this thread, very useful info, would have been great to have this info a few years ago, but like most of you, I've purchased sketchbooks, tried a few pages and shoved them on the shelf. I've only just really got into sketching with pencil, so am still looking for my ideal there, so the content here is going to save me a few quid I'm buying n trying.

My main sketching up to now has been in watercolour, and the very best sketchbook I've come acoss is Clairefontaine spiralbound travel sketchbook ( I actually much prefer spiral bounds) with a fine black leather finish and good thick back board. I use the A5 format, 25 sheets, watercolour paper 300g/m2, pure rag, coarse grain (rough), convenient size to carry around in my bag with me painting roll. It suits my style and is a very forgiving paper. It's not cheap, about £10.65 but you can paint on both sides of the page, and I paint really wet and I've never had one seep through. It's what all 'My Garden Journal' and 'My Giverny Journal' paintings are done on.

...you can see them here if you want http://wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524062

They aren't always easy to find, I've just stocked up on 5 new ones because I'm hoping to make a start on a 'My France Journal'.

I get mine online from Greatart uk...

http://www.greatart.co.uk

Last edited by Scattykat : 03-31-2011 at 09:08 AM.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2011, 06:52 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Thanks Scatty for your great review.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-02-2011, 08:03 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

There was a request that a link be established to the instructions I posted on making your own sketch book. Good idea not to lose that thread. So, to see my instructional thread go here.

Have fun if you decide to do this and share what you come up with in pictures. We'd love to see.
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2011, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

is anyone familiar with this journal
Global Art Flexi-Sketch Paper Book 9"x 6" 300 Sheet
it sounds worth trying, but i would feel better knowing the experiences of others here who may have already tried it.
thanks
janine
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2011, 08:08 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb57
is anyone familiar with this journal
Global Art Flexi-Sketch Paper Book 9"x 6" 300 Sheet
it sounds worth trying, but i would feel better knowing the experiences of others here who may have already tried it.
thanks
janine

Janine, I've seen these in a Jerry's store, so I was able to actually feel the paper as opposed to seeing it online, though I didn't buy one. The paper was nice and smooth, and I suspect it would be pretty nice for drawing and ink work. However, it's not very heavy. If you use it for ink, you can expect some show-through, even if it doesn't bleed through. The books look very cool and the prices are good; if I used only dry media I'd definitely get one.

Jamie
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2011, 02:00 AM
Veteran Member
Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

thanks for the info Jamie, i went back to the link i had, and they are all sold out.
oh well, i guess there is always next time.
thanks again
janine
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2011, 09:02 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb57
thanks for the info Jamie, i went back to the link i had, and they are all sold out.
oh well, i guess there is always next time.
thanks again
janine

Janine, perhaps we can recommend an alternative. What media do you want to be able to use in it, and do you prefer spiral or stitch-bound/hardbound?

Jamie