Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Daniel Smith new colors 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Tracy2000

http://danielsmith.com/blogs/8-new-daniel-smith-watercolors-for-2019/

Daniel Smith has announced their new 2019 colors. I find it rather ironic that in the grayest month of the year, they release 8 new colors, 7 of which are … gray :cat:

~Tracy
        "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter.”. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Harold Roth

But that grey titanium sounds interesting–single pigment and granulating? Hell yeah.

madametj

[URL]http://danielsmith.com/blogs/8-new-daniel-smith-watercolors-for-2019/[/URL]

Daniel Smith has announced their new 2019 colors. I find it rather ironic that in the grayest month of the year, they release 8 new colors, 7 of which are … gray :cat:

Awe man, I got so excited and then…..pass.

Tyler Alexy

Join me on my experimental art adventures!
                Instagram |YouTube

Watercollar

Thank you Tracy!
                    “Caliente” Gray… lol

Sebastian.

(C&C Welcomed.)

w/c nana8

Thanks for sharing, Tracy. That grey titanium is very interesting, and may consider adding that to my Cheap Joes cart. But…that’s my last order for a while (right!!!).

~ Carol

'We are too prone to engrave our trials on marble, and write our blessings in sand.' ~ Spurgeon
                        C&C appreciated

Monichetta

Certainly the Grey titanium is the most interesting for me, but describing it as semi-transparent seems a bit of artistic licence! Anyone who uses Buff titanium would surely dispute this claim?

It’s the milkiest watercolour out there, a tiny tadge short of gouache. In fact there are card-carrying gouache paints more transparent than Buff!

I must say the marketing spiel for Grey titanium is a work of art, though, up to the usual DS standard. I hear the Siren call… but even I can mix some mid-tone warm greys, especially with Buff around (and a seperate water cup).

'Art is an experience, not an object.'
                            ~ Robert Motherwell

w/c nana8

You are the voice of reason, Monichetta. I do have buff titanium in a wc stick, and, yes, I can mix up a color similar. However…

Cheap Joes doesn’t have grey titanium to purchase online yet, so I’ve been saved from the DS marketing gods…for now.

'We are too prone to engrave our trials on marble, and write our blessings in sand.' ~ Spurgeon
                                C&C appreciated

virgil carter

Well…I’m just not on board with the D. Smith marketing hype for gray paints which are mixable by just about anyone, with some time and experience.

Using the painter’s names must be a lucrative deal for each of them.

Sling paint,
                                    Virgil

Sling paint,
                                    Virgil Carter
                                    http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

It’s not often that Virgil and I agree on something. But, we are on the same page with this new introduction.

Using the Artist Names exemplifies our ability to mix our own greys very easily because that’s what these Artists have done. I don’t mean to be criticizing the Artists, but Daniel Smith for their silly marketing hype about something we all can do on our own.

And… if you painted elements in each of these greys and then stood back 10-15′ away from the painting, you’d be hard pressed to observe differences.

Char --

CharMing Art -- "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art." Leonardo DaVinci

Que Sera

Words fail me …

In all these things we are more than conquerors.

briantmeyer

The being able to buy a convenience mix of “Janes Gray” is kind of nice, obviously you are just paying for the convenience of mixing two colors together, and having someone else figure out how to balance it. The fact it’s $12-18 though, that is an expensive convenience, but if you are constantly buying new tubes you won’t be using as much of the other two colors, so its a non issue. The others seems like non starters, they just aren’t mixes I’d be making on my own, this one mix is probably more popular than paynes gray or neutral tint, never understood why it’s not been sold before.

It is also nice that it’s not some unknown lofty artist, but one of our own.

We need to have some new colors – Charmed Turquoise ( perhaps pure PB16 ), Virgil Violet, Indraneel Indigo, Roth Red. Monichetta could be its own color, it just sounds cool, perhaps a PR101 variant.

I would love to have my “pthalo black” mix ( pthalo green and Perelene maroon, plus a bit of Pthalo Blue, mixed soas to be perfectly neutral which takes me hours to get just right, just a bit off and it has a green or red lean to it. )

Though lots of grays, most are all granulating and similar, and mostly just leaning this way or that way, what I would prefer is a color that is true neutral, and you can mix in other colors to adjust that. Or more staining. The titanium variant at least is different than anything we’ve had before – and we have a new primatek.

Daniel Smith’s marketing makes my teeth hurt. I wish I didn’t actually like their paints so much, because I feel sort of silly going along with it by buying their products. Most of these greys look so boring. When one mixes greys, part of the fun is that they are not totally mixed and one can still see the original colours a bit, so they can be lively and interesting. I guess they just aren’t for me.

:) Noelle

Vorpal

I am…disappointed, sigh. First the leaky, overpriced sets, and now…gray, gray, gray, gray, and more grey. Their marketing department needs a bit of…inspiration.

Susan

virgil carter

Well…for a neutral neutral which granulates like crazy, it’s hard to beat D. Smith Lunar Black.

Want it to lean one way or another for a hue bias? Just mix a little something with it, but don’t stir it up too much so that the color bias becomes homogenized…

sling paint,
                                                    Virgil

Sling paint,
                                                    Virgil Carter
                                                    http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

kleur

So Marialena was right all along? :angel:

I like greys, so more are always nice to see but I certainly disapprove of the naming and price.

Daniel Smith is always too pricey for me and the colours I have dry and fall out of my palette sometimes, so I’m sticking (pun intended?) to M Graham and various other brands.

Grey titanium has encouraged me to add buff titanium to my wish list though, as it looks like a slightly grey buff titanium. But I won’t be getting it from Daniel Smith.

The primatek one is nice, but not special enough to waste gemstones over imo.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 85 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.