Home Forums Explore Media Photography The Darkroom 3 from the front yard +1 more

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Yesterday was one of those days when I had more than my fair share of photographic success: the light was nice, my choices of camera settings turned out pretty good, and my hands weren’t shaking as much as usual.

1) a plume of our out-of-control fountain grass…

[Nikon D7500 + Nikkor 18-300mm shot at 280mm, manual mode, 1/1600 sec, f/6.3, ISO 500, processed in ACR & PSCS5]

2) dappled early morning light on a palm between my yard and my neighbor’s…

[Nikon D7500 and Nikkor 18-300mm shot at 135mm, manual, 1/1000 sec, f/6.0,
        ISO 500, ACR & PSCS5]

3) one of the blossoms that I usually find rather ugly decided to pose nicely in the low light…

[Nikon D7500 + Nikkor 18-300mm shot at 300mm, manual mode, 1/1000 sec, f/6.3, ISO 500, processed in ACR & PSCS5]

4) and from a neighbor’s yard at the end of the block…

[Nikon D7500 + Nikkor 18-300mm taken at 122mm, manual mode, 1/250 sec, f/5.6, ISO 500, processed in ACR & PSCS5]

Any and all reactions are welcome.

Humburger

Dave, these are lovely. My favorite being the seed head, number one. 😄

Ginny
            www.virginiacmccoy.com
            C & C Welcome

damar

Hi Dave!
                These are all beautiful!
                The fountain grass has a nice balance of in/out
                focus. The color is rich and the composition is great.
                I see why you posted this one first!

I like the light hitting the palm tree! Simple color, but a variety of textures.
                The pink spikey blossom has good color contrast with the background.
                Simple composition and well balanced.
                The yellow rose has a soft background color that shows off the petals
                real well.
                Most of these have diagonals.
                I always like diagonals!
                You did have a good day!

Fujifilm X100F, XT20 + Nikon Camera Bodies & Lenses
                Photos are ©2021

Hey Dave,
                Looks like you captured a lot of color, texture and variety in you photo shoot.
                Here are my reactions:

Photo One: With this much of a close up, I wish the entire fountain grass was in focus. Since the blurred area is not part of the background but part of the subject, I am not sure that it works here.

I do beautiful warm and soft lighting, it really sets the mood.

Photo Two: Great perspective and texture. I see how the spot light grabbed your attention. This is my second favorite of the four shots because it is so clear and nicely exposed.

Photo Three: This is my favorite with the beautiful light on the pink blooms. I like how the wavy green stem is also illuminated giving movement and support to the flower. Great exposure considering the black background.

Photo Four: A good shot of a yellow rose but nothing about it makes it different or stand out from other roses. Having captured the drops of rain on it was a plus, and the tilt of the rose helps the composition. In spite of its clarity and composition, it doesn’t catch my eye like the rest of the photos in this thread. The only thing that I can think of is that it has uniform lighting unlike the others with sort of spot light type lighting. Although it is good lighting with no blown out areas, I am spoiled from the other three shots.

Photography is the art of observation. It has little to to with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt
                Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Zuiko 14-150 mm zoom, Zuiko 2.8 60mm macro, Sigma 2.8 Fish Eye. Nikon D5100

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.