Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I was really disappointed to see the latest exhibit of my local chapter of a natoinal association. There are a lot of new members who are beginning artists and I saw a lot of copying. One participant’s work was nothing but blatant copies of an artist who has a Facebook page for her art instruction groups and provides reference photos and her finished work as a guide. The person who entered their work in this local show copied three of those works exactly and entered them.

I am a little surprised that the Show Committee allowed it, but I have had issue with them before for behaving less than ethically (i.e bringing in a professional artist to critique and make recommendations for changes to artwork before it gets judged) the rationale behind that was to give more people a chance to win awards. Why can’t people just use their original work. How can you grow as an artist if all you do is rely on copies of other people’s artwork or get professional critique of your work before you enter it?

Ranting, I know!

Debbie
    C&C welcomed and appreciated...

DaveCrow

Do the judges/jurors for the show know that they are copies?

I have seen paintings from Wet Canvas RIL photos hanging in local shows with no attribution to WC. Not a technical violation for the show, which did not require reference phots to be the painter’s own, but still felt not quite cricket.

"Let the paint be paint" --John Marin

I believe they do. I actually stopped participating in these events because the group leaders were encouraging this behavior. When I raised ethical issues, I was told that it would give less talented artists a chance to win awards and increase membership.

Debbie

members

Not sure if the judges know, or care, but I sympathize, I also cringe at copying. It’s for beginners to learn from in some cases, but by the time they’re entering work in a competition they should be beyond that stage. On social media I see what appears to be copies of better known artists’ work, as well as copies of viral photos like National Geographic cover photos, etc. I’ve seen some of the latter in exhibits where, theoretically, there’s prize money to be won. So far, I’ve not seen anything that looked copied with a prize winning ribbon on it, though.

Mike L

I have a list of seven things a person can do to become an effective artist that includes Copy others’ work. I don’t recall where I found the list, so I can’t give proper attribution, but rest assured I did not come up with it. :)

Back to copying others’ work: It is a method to Learn consciously, another item on the list. However, nowhere on the list can I find take credit of those copies as your own creation

Regretfully there is a minority that cheat and believe it is OK, and a larger minority that support those who do it. It’s not just in art, either. Always has been and always will. ☹

The real shame is that those who know the cheat is happening too often refuse to inform the judges, the teachers, or whatever entity controls that environment.

I’m ranting right along with you, creativevintage.

Practice religion freely and freedom religiously.

Thanks for commenting! I thought maybe I was being a bit too harsh and narrow minded, but I feel better that I am not the only one who is bothered by the behavior.

I agree that copying is a great way to learn, but don’t post on social media or enter into a juried competition passing it off as your own!

Debbie

~JMW~

Was the event a competition or a exhibit /show/display of artwork?
                    Competitions usually have written rules where an exhibit may not..
                    But many people do copy without acknowledging that..
                    Of course most can’t make an exact copy.

I suppose they don’t know anything about copyright rules, or assume if any images are on the internet somewhere it is free to use..

~Joy~

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.