WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Think Tank > Creativity
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 10:00 AM
Kent, UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Question Anyone doing/done The Artist's Way course?

I've just started this week and wanted to see if anyone else is on the path or has completed it? How are you finding it/found it. It's early days but I'm learning quite a bit about myself. Wanted to see if anyone wants to do check ins with me to keep us enthused.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2012, 10:10 PM

Re: Anyone doing/done The Artist's Way course?

Hello, LM -

I completed the course last year...some of the postings are on my blog when I went through it the first time if you'd like to check it out (warning: very opinionated at times). I have been thinking about doing it over again, and I'd love to check in with you on it to keep me motivated as well. It's funny - when the book ended it says to do it again. At the time I just didn't have the energy to do that, but I'm ready again and would love to have more than my own thoughts to reflect upon.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2012, 05:15 PM
Australia

Hails from Australia

I picked this book up yesterday. i've started doing the morning pages which I'm enjoying. I feel like the writing is clearing out some cobwebs, so to speak.

Would be happy to check in here every week and swap notes.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2012, 06:13 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
homestead in south dakota

Hails from United States

I started with a bang but kinda fizzled lately. some I went thru very fast, as it didn't really pertain to me, i.e, those who struggle because they have/had no support from friends and family. I have lots of support, so that went super fast. but other parts hit me like a train and I felt I needed to read them so slowly and repeatedly.

I am not sure if its helped or not, but I can tell you I was getting lots of art in while doing it, and now not doing it, i've been rather not so much. its good weather tho and mine is more certainly 'hay while the sun shines' sort of life, homesteading style. when it heats up, I'll hole up in the studio again, and probably get back at it.

the morning pages were weird for me in a few ways. first, is she kidding me?? 3 whole pages, long hand??! no way! then I just did it, and yeah, I can see how those work. its odd how I can answer issues that plague me, I had the answer all along but doing those pages opened it up to me. some of it I found totally opposite of what I thought I knew of myself. so even if I don't do them daily, I know its a resource I can fall onto when I'm questioning something.

I hope you enjoy it!

A rich person is not one who has the most, but is one who needs the least.
--- "Interview with God" (author unknown)

http://sitekreator.com/cmcernetisch/index.html
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2012, 03:59 AM
Kent, UK

I'm just coming to the end of week 2 now and it's been a really interesting experience so far. The main thing I've noticed is how many doors are opening after I address a 'blurt'. I've started knitting, seeing, drawing again. I've joined an art group. I'm getting help for my driving and social anxiety. I'm busy. Very odd
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2012, 04:14 PM
Australia

Hails from Australia

Wow LMWilliams, sounds like things are going really well for you!

I've just finished my first week and I'm finding the exercises quite cathartic and affirming, but can't say they have been life-changing.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2012, 08:31 AM
Lord of the Arts
New Mexico

Hails from United States

I read her book in around 2007. I really retained her idea of crazymakers, and her idea of how we self-obstruct our own progress. I thought it might be fun to read the book again.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2012, 11:08 AM

When I did The Artist's Way, I found some of Cameron's ideas and exercises worthwhile and appropriate for me and others not. I did the morning pages, though not immediately on waking and not in such a way that I necessarily stopped at the bottom of page 3. It set me on the path to doing a lot of writing in the few months thereafter, both a novel and a journal of essays.
One exercise I did not like was the reading fast. I believe that the idea for it is that many people dive into reading as a way of procrastinating in advancing their own creating of work. I find a reading habit to be an enhancement of a creative life rather than a diversion.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 05:31 AM
Kent, UK

Fritzie- I have the reading fast next week and I'm both nervous and excited. Like many I find a great source of enrichment from reading and researching but at the same time I read a LOT of junk and to get that out of my life for a week is bound to be stimulating in other ways. One of my main goals is to become more imaginative and rely on my own mind a bit more rather then responding to stimulus. I completely agree on how some of the exercises seem more potent then others. This week were writing down names of people we admire or who nurture us and I'm REALLY struggling with it. My main problem is I can't see people as wholly admirable or wholly nurturing, we ALL have flaws obviously, so I'm trying to pick and choose people who are the closest to that apex and try and decide what I find so admirable or nurturing about them so I can locate it easier in my life. I think there's no right way to do the book really- as long as you get results. After ive done the 12 weeks I'll be doing the morning pages on computer and after a coffee but I want to do them raw for now to just find my feet and make sure I'm getting the best from them. I'd love to write more then three pages too but I do ramble, as you can see, so in a way that restriction is teaching me how to be more succinct. Or I should be more crafty and get an a3 notebook ;D
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2012, 05:48 AM
Kent, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbstractArt99
Wow LMWilliams, sounds like things are going really well for you!

I've just finished my first week and I'm finding the exercises quite cathartic and affirming, but can't say they have been life-changing.

He he I wouldn't use the term life changing either but some large blocks in my life have been crumbled which makes everything flow easier, most definitely.