Home Forums The Learning Center Color Theory and Mixing Blue(What color you see?)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    matt66

Hi guys,,
        i’m studing a very sophisticated painting bi A.Tinei. I’m having a trouble identifying the blue he used, it’s so intense in chroma but still high in value.
        i have tried Schev blue light, Phtalo blue, ultramarine and manganese with no results. any thoughts?

Golden Paints site has a nice auto mixer that you supply an image and it gets an approximation. https://www.goldenpaints.com/mixer

It suggests: (the number are parts in proportion)

Cerulean Blue Deep

Titan Violet Pale

N8 Neutral Gray

Light Phthalo Blue

The exact combination it provides varies when you move around that blue spot.. but one thing remains… Phtalo Blue combined with a Neutral Gray.. spiced a bit by something else slightly.

"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"

Anonymous

i have tried Schev blue light, Phtalo blue, ultramarine and manganese with no results

so you tried these and they were not chromatic enough, or the wrong hue?
            Be sure to place your mix in the same context, next to the same flesh tone.

This is good advice, because it doesn’t look very high in chroma to me.

Delofasht

I’d just jump for Prussian + White. The color you are viewing is less chromatic than it seems for one, and secondly the blue is very cyan leaning and I find that prussian is slightly more cyan leaning than Phthalo.

- Delo Delofasht
                opainter

It appears to me that this blue might be Cerulean Blue. Either PB36 and PB36:1, as Cerulean Blue comes in both formulations. But I don’t know anything about the artist or when this painting was painted, which could certainly make a difference. Many pigments available today were not available at times in the past.

AJ (opainter), C&C always welcome
                    :::: Helpful links for new users: User Agreement || Reference Images || C&C Suggestions || Color Theory and Mixing (color theory and color selection) || Full List of Forums
                    :::: Painting Blog with an article now and then

Gigalot

so you tried these and they were not chromatic enough, or the wrong hue?

:clap: This!
                        BTW, Phthalo is the most chromatic blue color among other pigments except UMB and much more chromatic than Prussian blue. If you want to make a Blue (or Red) color to look brighter, then avoid to use pure White color on your painting, use pure White from tube to mix blue color with Phthalo, but avoid to apply this White on canvas. White must be muted strongly with Mars Violet, Green Earth, Yellow ochre or VanDyck Brown. Or with a mixture of such colors and Mars Black. Add as much earth color to white as possible until paint looks “White” for human perception.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.