Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink P&I Monthly Challenge – JULY

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 78 total)
  • Author

Welcome to our STILL NEW monthly challenge – for JULY!

We’re continuing our Drawing from Life challenge in Pen and Ink and hope many will join us!

DRAWING FROM LIFE (when it is at all possible)…. we learn better from studying actual scenes, people and objects rather than looking at flat, 2D images.

Drawing from Life is –

1. More challenging! – well, ‘monthly challenge’ IS the name of this thread.
    2. More educational – undoubtedly the vital artistic skills of close observation, selecting which important features of the subject to emphasise, choosing the best angle from which to view etc. are all keenly honed through the process of life drawing in a way that is not possible with a photo.
    3. It’s FUN – you never quite know how it will turn out! Drawing should always be an exciting journey of exploration and discovery!

Someone once wrote – “Photography freezes the moment whilst drawing captures the moment”
    Let’s capture our own personal and individual moments and share them here on this thread!

*********NOW – here’s where you do your part – as well as your drawing, of course!
    As you post your own drawing in this thread, please then also suggest ONE subject/topic for next month.
    By the end of the month we should have a range of ideas from which you can choose – and please do feel free to discuss any of the suggestions raised: who knows, you may even start keeping your own private list for future ideas!***********

Entries must be at least 75% pen and ink in any colour – and wash or colour may be added.

Your suggestions for July:

old slippers/shoes
    some kind of bag(handbag/purse(in the US), rucksack, shopper etc.
    furniture
    man-made object with corners
    bottles
    a jacket – on hook or chair
    Tools
    Trees, full or cropped close-up
    Hats/headgear
    Birds and Bees
    a bird feeder drawn from life, and then feel free to put in a bird on it from recollection or imagination
    a single leaf
    hand holding something
    PAINTBRUSHES

Pens at the ready? ……. Ink close by? ………. Ready, steady, ………… GO!!!!!!!!!

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

eyepaint

Woo hoo! Thanks, Maureen. I posted your invitation to the Artwork From Life forum. This sounds like fun :)

-- EP Moderator for:
        All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

Triduana

Thank you Maureen. There are a few I’d like to have a go at :)

Kay D - Edinburgh, Scotland

So long, and thanks ...

Anonymous

I had a delivery of some pen nibs this morning, of types which I hadn’t used for ages, just as I was just sitting down to do a quick sketch for Julys challenge using a “ZIG manga flexible” pen (a squashy felt pen).
                So I quickly finished it off eager to get on to playing with some dip pens.
                Here it is – Take note this is an A4 sketch book whole page .

Now after dropping the new dip pen nibs in a cup of boiling water to clean off the manufacturers oils I was up for for a comparison to re-familiarize myself with them. Here are a few more slippers as they were on the table already , please excuse the doodling – sorry !

Yep, this is why I love dip pens & these 3 “Joseph Gillot” ones are my all time favourites . All feel so soft & responsive, so very obviously capable of the most exquisite subtlety -if only I had the skill to wield them :lol:
                This too is on an A4 sheet but look how much more you can say on the same space.
                Well I need a lot of practice with these – what could be better than direct drawing from life ?
                See you soon – Mike

I think someone needs some new slippers!!!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:
                seriously though, nice attention to detail of shape and structure … and I love seeing that ‘working page’ from the sketch book – a little (or big) memory made!

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

floblue

I’m up for the challenge. I haven’t drawn with pen for a long time. Looks like interesting suggestions

Jennie

Hi, am hoping to have a shot at some of these. A couple of questions: can I post on any date? And, is using my non dominant hand part of the challenge, or an extra challenge? Jenn

Jennie
                        "Whether you succeed or not is irrelevant, there is no such thing. Making your unknown known is the important thing.” – Georgia O’Keeffe
                        @jenniferpaints http://jrcs.com.au/artist

Triduana

You can post on any date Jennie. You don’t have to use your non-dominant hand. :)

Mike – really like your sketch page. Lots of interesting things to look at! Love your slippers too, lots of nice detail. I especially like the texture on the inside.

So long, and thanks ...

Triduana

I was out for a walk this morning not far from home. I took my sketchbook and I’m so glad I did because I came across a lovely old sycamore. I really enjoying drawing this – normally I go wrong with trees because I rush them but I tried to take my time and worked from top to bottom. I had to edit the tree a little bit as it was wider than my page :lol:. I quite liked the photo with the grass shadow so decided not to take another picture when I got home. :)

So long, and thanks ...

Triduana

Almost forgot – my suggestion for next month is ……… a car or other vehicle

So long, and thanks ...

Shanec

Mike, great drawings with both pens and an interesting journal type drawing. Good to see those creative juices flowing.

Triduana, the volume is those sycamore branches could only have been drawn from life, lovely work.

Shane

https://artbyshanec.com

Anonymous

Yes in truth it was a big memory note about the pens Maureen.

Thanks for your comment Kay, & yes I second Toowombas’ comment, I think that often a sketch is a reminder to the artist of key relevant features rather than a finished work in itself. Maybe it is more direct & strong for that instead of just being “pretty” ?

Hi Shane, cheers mate, I really do feel like this sort of exercise does get my creative juices flowing & offers a welcome break from the long haul type work which can take too centre a stage at times.
                                            Mike

eyepaint

Mike – looks good both the sketches and the evalution of new nibs from Joseph Gillot

Kay M – wonderful tree!!

Here’s my contribution – a hand holding two paintbrushes.

My suggestion for next month is …. your reflection (bonus not in a mirror but on a shiny object like a stainless steel kettle)

-- EP Moderator for:
                                                All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

lizzievesham

Mike – you’ve done a great job on those lovely soft moccasins and I found your page of sketches and doodles delightful.
                                                    Kay – That sycamore is fabulous with lots of volume to it. Aren’t they just lovely trees? I like the spiky shadows too.
                                                    EP- You have very clean lines here and I like the composition, well done.

Here is my bag. Done with a Sailor fude pen with Noodlers ink and a Pilot drawing pen with watercolour added. It’s about 5″ x 4″ and for some reason it’s been flipped on its side and I can’t seem to adjust it. Never mind, you get the gist.

A warm welcome to Jenn and Floblue – good to have you join us – post any time with challenges from this thread in this thread – if you wish to do anything from June’s challenges, just post in that thread too!:)

KayM – that’s a really great tree – and only your tree as. from life, you have a special connection with it – really like that sense of volume in both trunk and foliage.

EP – that’s a beautifully observed hand and brushes – such clear lines – and without any shading, one can feel the solidity of the hand! Good!

Lizzie – I’ve upended the bag for you!:lol: ….. did you post from a phone or iPad? – those uploads often go sideways!!!
                                                    It’s another drawing that shows great volume, a sense of objects being held inside – really good observation.:)

I’ll make a separate note of suggestions for next month – apart from Kay and EP, people have forgotten – MIKE and Lizzie!!!!!! :evil: :lol:

Cheers, Maureen

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 78 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.