WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2018, 11:53 AM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada
Re: Stitch in Time July 2018

I had my Physio evaluation yesterday. Two hours of "does this make you dizzy?" YES!!! (we need a vomit emoji) But I also learned how to do the treatment on my self so hopefully I can get things under some control.

I learned a lot about the condition too. How it affects the eyes and the brain. It explains a lot that has been happening over the last year that I couldn't pin down or explain to the doctor. And yes stress and lack of sleep make it much worse plus the fact that my sense of balance is already screwed up from high fever and a coma I had in my teens.

I am knitting a burgundy shawl for the DD with beads - man does adding beads ever slow you down. It literally takes hours to do one row. I "invented" a way to make it faster. I string the beads on a wire and fold one end into a "hook". That way I hook the stitch, slip the bead over the hook and onto the stitch. By putting many beads onto the wire it speeds up the process a bit.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2018, 12:22 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, glad there is some way to get a bit of relief from the dizziness. I will take your word for the knitting issue and the beads. I don't knit and I realized a while ago that for me doing crochet or knitting involves my wrists in ways that make them hurt. So, along with needle felting, it's not going to be in my fiber arts list. Look forward to seeing the shawl.

I finally got an arm and hand to work. It's a little too long so I'm going to have to shorten the arm, but the hand worked and the arm itself is the right diameter tapering thru the forearm. Length is a tweak. Now, I have all the pieces. Next up, create an entire doll.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2018, 11:47 AM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

I cast off the shawl - it took 2 days. Now to block it and take some pictures.

Yesterday my sister wanted to go to the hardware store, there was a sale on. Just down the street is a yarn store.

Guess where I went!

I got some lovely hand dyed linen and cotton and some totally unashamed polyester yarns - they had a sale on too.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2018, 01:30 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, yay for yarn stores. Sounds lovely. What are you going to do with the linen? I've not heard of linen yarn. Tho' it makes sense as it's a long fiber.

I am back to working on the doll in spite of my mom being here at her summer home. Took time to go see her on Friday. DH did all the heavy lifting she wanted then declared that I was hot and hurting (true statements) and he wanted to get me home. Mom is comfortable with the house being in the 80's. Both DH and I were sweltering.

I think I've figured out all the pieces parts of the doll I want to make. I've cut out everything for the felt under-body and the knit outer skin. Now, to sew it all up and see if it works.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2018, 02:38 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

Yes there is linen yarn. It can be hard to work with as it has no give and can feel like working with twine. However it feels lovely once washed. The nicest to work with is a silk and linen blend but it tends to be expensive.

Good on DH for running interference for you. I always believe the the main job of a partner (or boss) is to be someone who has your back in sticky situations. Someone you can hide behind.

I am hiding in the house. After severe thunderstorms last week, this week we have heat warnings. I ran out early this morning to buy some stuff but I am not going out now.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2018, 12:55 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

Lena, I love linen fabric. I've got a piece of 5 yards sitting in my stash. I want to make a garment out of it and am trying to decide if I want a skirt or a blouse. I'm thinking blouse. Yes, heat is awful. That's why I'm glad summer only lasts a couple of months where I live.

I've sewn up the feet and legs in the felt. Now working on the arms in the felt. I'm not rushing to get this done, even tho' I want to. I don't want to cause my wrists to protest. When they do that, I can't sew for a week or more. Better to do a little bit at a time.