Home Forums Explore Media Watermedia Pony from Life aka hairy little mare xp Art Journals

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    robertsloan2

Pony from Life
        3″ x 5″
        Pigma Micron and QoR watercolor on small Moleskine watercolor journal.
        Later was told it’s actually a “mini” rather than a pony. But I did get its proportions and its look right, including the intense shagginess.

Painted this on the 31st but just finally got a good photo of it today. Got the likeness! The little mare’s owner recognized her and all proportions are accurate. She was very shaggy coming out of winter. I didn’t know till I moved to Arkansas that horses grow long thick hair in the winter and look like Ice Age animals, but they do!

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
        Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
        blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting

A very impressive little mare with all the hair. Yes, horses do shag out for winter.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Lovely little Mini! A really thick, heavy mane.
        Yes Robert there’s a big difference between Miniature Horses and ponies. A Miniature Horse is like a full size horse but in miniature. Mini’s bone structure and whole body needs to be fine with slender legs etc in other words – a horse in miniature. A pony on the other hand, usually has much heavier legs and body. All horses grow in a thicker “Winter Coat” as Winter and the colder weather, gets near. They shed this Winter coat as the year warms up in the Spring. Grooming to “bring out their Winter coat” in Spring, is a task all horse owners go through – handfulls of it every day until their beautiful, shiny “Summer coat” comes in.

Ive had horses all my life and also owned 2 Miniature Horses, which I used to show, many years ago. I only have 1 Mini left now, and hes getting old – nearly 25 years old. But as a young horse “Star Dreamer” won many prizes in the Show Ring. He needs careful managing now hes so old, but Ive had him since I bought him as a 7 month old foal, and hes pretty special to me!

Moderator: Animal & Wildlife, Floral & Botanical, Watermedia

Shanec

Excellent sketch Robert, as good as a finished piece all the elements of a composition are there.

Shane

https://artbyshanec.com

Pine Cone

I love your horse! She’s shaggier than my horse ever was, but my horse (who was a very tall TB) would have fallen in love with your mini. He loved to guard and protect foals and ponies and minis. He was best friends with a shaggy one that looked like this :heart: Thanks for sharing this with us!

name — gravity and grace along the path

nickname — intuitive balance of forces[/color]

JayJay365UK

Lovely, Robert! :)

IsobelW

I love this picture, and the way the pen and colour work together.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.