Home Forums Pets in the studio

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    AllisonR

On the Murphy’s Law post several commented about dog and cat hairs in their brushes. I’ve seen other comments here about pet hairs in paintings, in clothes… as well as pets that knock over paintings, leave paint paw prints on the floor…

We will be getting a puppy (Lab, retriever, collie…) in the spring. So I’d like some advice and your best tips for keeping animals out of your studio, or at least off the paintings. Since it will be a puppy, I assume we can train it good habits before he/she develops bad habits?

The dog will be welcome in all areas of the house, except bedrooms and my studio. Is this realistic to have no enter rooms? The bedrooms have doors so we can just keep them closed. However my studio is open to the family room. One door is for both the studio and family room, so I can’t separate them. If I use the furniture and put up one of those baby barrier fences to sort of close off the studio, would that be enough to keep the dog out? Another option is to switch out the family room with my husband’s office, so we are both in the same area and then we can just keep the door closed. My husband and I have worked together before for long amounts of time in close proximity, so this will not be an issue.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
        stlukesguild

We have a baby barrier to block off a room where I currently have the majority of my paintings stored. I has worked fine in keeping both of our guys out of the room. The bedroom? Forget it. From the start, our guys assumed the bed was as much theirs as ours.

Saintlukesguild-http://stlukesguild.tumblr.com/
            "Beauty is truth, truth beauty—that is all ye know on earth and all ye need to know." - John Keats
            "Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

AllisonR

We have a baby barrier to block off a room where I currently have the majority of my paintings stored. I has worked fine in keeping both of our guys out of the room. The bedroom? Forget it. From the start, our guys assumed the bed was as much theirs as ours.

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/03-Jan-2020/39499-IMG_7173.800.jpg[/IMG]

Cute dogs. I’m glad to know a baby barrier will work.

Separate issue – I often say I had my first child because I was in love with my husband and I wanted us to create something together. I had my second child because I was in love with my first child and I didn’t want him to be alone. I kind of feel the same way about dogs, that perhaps it would be better for the dogs if there were two of them. However maybe we can’t handle two, this would be our first dog and perhaps we should start slowly. I have two teenagers dying for a dog (one of them has been pleading for 3 years now) and I am getting into the idea, while my husband is on board but not wild about it.

Being born places you at a greater risk of dying later in life.

http://www.artallison.com/
                snoball

perhaps it would be better for the dogs if there were two of them.

I have found that indeed, when you can get two dogs together (preferably litter mates) they do much better. They are happier, they help train each other, entertain each other and just generally thrive better.

If you're asking me for advice, I'm going to assume that you've run out of rational options.
                    My work on Facebook

It’s often said that it’s not the dog that needs training, it’s the owner. If you keep that in mind things tend to go easier.

So much of the specifics though depend on what kind of dog you get. I personally prefer intelligent working dogs – border collies, alsatians, corgis, etc. They require a lot of fresh air exercise and engaged training, but they become very biddable and hence easy to deal with in the studio. OTOH, if you don’t commit to working with them, then they can be rather troublesome.

Something to think about when selecting a dog is how heavily does the breed shed? I’m still finding stray undercoat from my Pembroke Corgi, and he passed away over 5 years ago :lol:

As for gates, doors, etc., again it depends on the animal and your training. I’m very slack about those sorts of things because I always enjoyed having dogs in the studio. Anything toxic though I always kept securely put away if it wasn’t in use, same as when I had little kids around. Just a reasonable precaution.

But some dogs will do anything to get around or over a barrier (the Border Collie could clear a 5 foot fence), and others will scrabble mercilessly at a door if you’re on one side and they’re on the other. Most seem to really prefer being close to “their people”.

I do have an acquaintance who has trained his hunting dogs not to enter the living room unless asked. So I know that’s doable, but it required a discipline regime I wouldn’t be comfortable with.

Denmark’s pretty wet, isn’t it? It might be sensible to keep a stack of old towels near the door, and get in the habit of thoroughly drying the dog when you bring them in. Soaking wet dogs seem to love to run into the most vulnerable area of the house and shake themselves dry :lol: I did keep paintings I was working on either in a separate storage room, or protected from such, just in case…

Cheers,
                    Chris

C&C of all sorts always welcome! (I don't mind rude or harsh criticism.)
                    I suppose I have to do this too :p (my blog, & current work). My Visual Arts Nova Scotia page.
                    Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known - Oscar Wilde

The primary palette: Attention, observation, memory, imagination, integration, execution

bongo

I have found that indeed, when you can get two dogs together (preferably litter mates) they do much better. They are happier, they help train each other, entertain each other and just generally thrive better.

I agree. Especially if you have energetic dogs (Jack Russell & Italian greyhound/whippet mix). Dogs are pack animals.

My dogs have free range of the house and yard thru a pet door – the more space imo you can give a dog the better. As for dog hair – get over it. If you have a dog you will have dog hair – even if their hair is short. Damp mop. I haven’t found them to be a problem in studio. In fact if you’ve dropped a brush a dog will find it for you!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/18-Sep-2019/1999899-sigsmall.jpg
                        STUDIOBONGO

La_

dogs are great and within a year you should have a decent, well behaved friend.
                            do try to be consistent in routine and training.

la

Snow_tabby

My kitty is welcome anyplace I go. He doesn’t interfere with my works or my computer. He’s very good with boundaries. He doesn’t even jump up on to the kitchen counter even though he’s very great at climbing and jumping up onto things. He’s such a little gentlemen. 😊💕😺
                                Actually he looks alot like the smiley featured in my post. 💕

Ted B.

Hah, …I have nine felinoids underfoot, on my lap, my desk and sleeping on my keyboard. Two sisters who are the Mamas, and 7 intermingled littermates. They were supposed to be outdoor cats, but one 30-inch January blizzard and…

One reason I don’t have true Cadmiums or Cobalts in my waterolor palette. I can draw, sketch and waterolor shushing them off my drawing desk in the sunny window. But I have to oil paint in the basement where the cats aren’t allowed. A little ceiling-dust…but no cats exploring everything. And they can’t sleep in the shadow box..they love any boxes.

Radical Fundemunsellist

stlukesguild

Two dogs are better IMO. We had one dog… our baby… for 17 years. She was a handful. She was easy to house train and almost never had an “accident” in the house… even on days where we were gone 10+ hours. But dogs need exercise and it was us who needed to play with her and wear her out… and ourselves in the process. As a kid, we had always had dogs and the time where we had multiple dogs was the best. They kept each other entertained… playing and rumbling. That is how our current pair, Pepper and Raphael, are. They are the best of friends. They rumble and wrestle around the house and outdoors. They cuddle together and sleep on the bed or couch. And they are ever jealous of each other… like any pair of human siblings. You cannot give one something… even attention… and not give the same to the other.

My prime advice to you would be to read up on the behavior and demeanor of the breed of dog you are getting. I have always gotten “rescue dogs” because the few times I have had purebreds I have found they had many behavior issues. Raphael is a Jack Russell/Dachshund mix while Pepper is a hound mix with some degree of Grayhound. He is fearless, intelligent, and loves to dig (or tear things up if you don’t give him enough attention). She loves to run and has learned most of her bad habits from him. I loved big dogs when I was a kid: German Shepherds and Huskies… but I’m not sure I could handle them now.

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty—that is all ye know on earth and all ye need to know." - John Keats
                                        "Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

stlukesguild

Something to think about when selecting a dog is how heavily does the breed shed? I’m still finding stray undercoat from my Pembroke Corgi, and he passed away over 5 years ago…

There is that. We are lucky; both of our fur babies have short hair and shed only a bit. It might show up on a black shirt. The Husky I had years ago could fill an entire grocery bag with hair every day in the Spring when she shed her winter coat. You could pull out entire handfuls of the stuff.

As for gates, doors, etc., again it depends on the animal and your training.

That is true as well. Our “little man” will push the door open to go outside while Pepper just stands there demurely waiting for us to let her out. You can almost imagine him yelling, “Out of the way, bi***! I gotta go” as he shoves by her and the door. Neither one, however, have even tried to go into the blocked off bedroom although either one could certainly do so.

But some dogs will do anything to get around or over a barrier… the Border Collie could clear a 5-foot fence…

I had a real “monster” once… in terms of size. He was a German Shepherd/Wolf mix. He could jump over the 5-foot fence in the back yard without even trying and probably scale a much larger fence with a running start. He was incredibly strong and protective of the family, but really a big baby with us. And perfect for the “Three Dog Nights” of Winter. :lol:

stlukesguild

Hah, …I have nine felinoids underfoot, on my lap, my desk and sleeping on my keyboard…

Acckk!! I would die! :eek: Not only have I never been fond of cats, but I am highly allergic. I can’t stay at my daughter’s house for more than a few hours before my eyes turn red and I start sneezing because she has one cat. The effects of this visit often continue for several days after if I stay beyond 3 or 4 hours.

Humburger

Yes, training is essential. I have a long-hair german shepherd and a calico cat. I have the dog’s crate in my basement studio and he loves it, so he spends most of his time in there while I am working. Every once in a while, he will come out and lay in the middle of the floor, but he doesn’t really get into things or get in my way. The cat, however, can be a problem. She isn’t too much of a problem, but I still have multi-colored paw prints all over the place from when she walked across my palette and then ran all over. LOL! The hair is an issue which I will never get rid of until I no longer have these animals. My next dog will be a poodle or poodle cross. I could build a new dog every week from the hair my beloved doggy sheds. LOL!

Ginny
                                                    www.virginiacmccoy.com
                                                    C & C Welcome

I lost my beautiful lab this year to cancer. He was a very good boy, labs are if trained properly but they need a lot of exercise. I had him trained not to go in the kitchen when I cook. He could watch but not come in, I didn’t have to use any nasty measures to train him. Patience, repetition and rewards work best with labs.
                                                    I liked him being in the studio because he always seemed like he was interested in what I was doing. I didn’t realize until he passed how much I talked to him. I’m still finding his fur, labs are notorious shedders.

My cat passed away a couple weeks ago (she was very elderly). Her fur was like velvet and stuck to everything.

Now the dog (westie) in my avatar who is under my feet right now…well I think his photo is pretty self explanatory. He was a terror but once he was out of his puppy phase he was fine. He doesn’t have the kind of fur that sticks to much. I occasionally but rarely find his fur.

You all have such beautiful animals! Loving all the photos. :heart:

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                                                    Find me on Instagram
                                                    Find me on Facebook

brianvds

I don’t have a cat. I have a supervisor. She contributed to my giving up on oil painting. :-)

__________________________
                                                        http://brianvds.blogspot.co.za/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.