WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2012, 12:28 PM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Public school printmaking - Collagraphs

this week I visited a local public school helping grade four/five students construct collagraph plates then ink and print the plates. The theme we explored is "I dream about ancient civilizations". These will be on public display next week at a community arts fiesta.
here are some photos
I'll be posting more in my blog over the next couple of days in addition to a bunch of photos showing another grade five class creating hand coloured relief block prints.
Attached Images

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart

Last edited by bridog : 02-09-2012 at 12:45 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2012, 11:01 PM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: Public school printmaking - Collagraphs

Today was public exhibition of student artwork at our local community auditorium (atrium outside of the main hall).
Some photos I took of the displays that I put together to showcase both collagraph prints created by grade four/five students and also hand colored block prints that were from another project I did in the same school at the same time.
You will notice a theme of ancient civilizations in the block prints and some also in the collagraphs. I put carved eco-karve blocks below the corresponding prints and collagraph plates below their respective prints to show where things originated.

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2012, 11:04 PM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada

There appears to be some tech issues that are preventing uploading of photos in WC at the moment. Will have to try again later.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2012, 02:51 PM
Calgary, AB, CANADA

Hails from Canada

These look great!

I just started collograph in art school (college), and I'm not really sure how my plate is going to print yet :P it's really interesting the textures you can get with this style of printing.

How were these plates inked, roller or wiped or painted on?

Scott.

Socio-political Printmaker
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2012, 06:16 PM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Red face Re: Public school printmaking - Collagraphs

thanks Scott

I sprayed the plate once all the collaged elements were dry with a high tack adhesive. Saran wrap was carefully laid on top and then the works were passed under the press roller that was set to a fairly good squeeze. This sealed the surface pretty good.
A majority of the students painted Akua Intaglio colour into the lower recessed areas with a paint brush (with a little blending medium added to make it more fluid). In addition thick (undiluted) Akua ink was rolled onto the raised areas using soft rubber brayers.

The plates were printed on Stonehenge 250 gm paper (which had been immersed the night before into a water bath for maybe 30 seconds tops). The paper was blotted quickly between sheets of cotton towels and immediately put into a plastic bag which was taped shut overnight to keep the paper moist.

For printing the trick is to determine just the right amount of pressure with the roller by playing with the roller settings. I recommend one or two test prints on dampened coverstock before you proceed to your good paper.
Unfortunately the first couple we put through the press had a bit too much ink applied on the plate and bled terribly past the plate edges when they passed under the roller. By adjusting for less of a squeeze it made a big difference. I also used 3 layers of blankets to cushion the paper/plate to pass under the rollers. 1 inch rubber blanket can also be used.

Good luck with yours! Please do post results as would be keen to see these.

Last edited by bridog : 02-18-2012 at 06:23 PM.